Fighters should get +str/dex/com compared to Wizard's +int. Or: if you have MAD, get a boost for it

It's been mentioned that classes giving stat bonuses is in the game. I'm guessing they're equal at the moment, everyone getting +1 to whatever vital stat.

But the thing is... a Wizard's got one vital stat, INT. A fighter has three, STR to hit and damage, DEX to keep up defenses or ranged, and CON to be tough enough to earn the name Tank. It's not uncommon for a Wizard to wind up having higher CON than the Ranger (poor guy needs WIS too!)... and then 3e would have things like "want to parry with a sword? that's INT13 you gotta get buddy" (weapon expertise takes more brains to learn than shooting seizure rainbows (int11) from yer hands!!)

If this multiple attribute dependency will carry on, then I believe classes with higher MAD should simply have more stat boosts.
Just make it so you can't go over 18 at chargen so you distribute your points around.

of course, however multiclassing works would keep this in mind.
Heck, we can also talk about that, multiclassing in a system where class gives you a stat boost. If it's AD&D/4e style where you don't simply pick up a new foreign level then that's no problem. But if it's 3e smorgasbord... I'd say "you get a boost from your highest class, or pick one if tied". So a fighter2/wizard1 gets the Fighter boost. A wizard2/fighter1 has devoted his time to magic so doesn't do as many pushups on his offtime as a pure fighter. Fighter2/Wizard2 chooses if he's a little bit more fighty or wizardy.

It's been mentioned that classes giving stat bonuses is in the game. I'm guessing they're equal at the moment, everyone getting +1 to whatever vital stat.

But the thing is... a Wizard's got one vital stat, INT. A fighter has three, STR to hit and damage, DEX to keep up defenses or ranged, and CON to be tough enough to earn the name Tank. It's not uncommon for a Wizard to wind up having higher CON than the Ranger (poor guy needs WIS too!)... and then 3e would have things like "want to parry with a sword? that's INT13 you gotta get buddy" (weapon expertise takes more brains to learn than shooting seizure rainbows (int11) from yer hands!!)

If this multiple attribute dependency will carry on, then I believe classes with higher MAD should simply have more stat boosts.
Just make it so you can't go over 18 at chargen so you distribute your points around.

of course, however multiclassing works would keep this in mind.
Heck, we can also talk about that, multiclassing in a system where class gives you a stat boost. If it's AD&D/4e style where you don't simply pick up a new foreign level then that's no problem. But if it's 3e smorgasbord... I'd say "you get a boost from your highest class, or pick one if tied". So a fighter2/wizard1 gets the Fighter boost. A wizard2/fighter1 has devoted his time to magic so doesn't do as many pushups on his offtime as a pure fighter. Fighter2/Wizard2 chooses if he's a little bit more fighty or wizardy.

I'd rather just include other important stats for all the classes. Every class should have some primary stat and 1-2 secondary/tertiary ones.

In 4e the wizard has option of using con, dex, wis or cha as a secondary stat based on his implement specialty and other reasons. Int of course is the most important one still, but I'd like the same principle to apply.

I'd rather have 2 important stats for every character, with the option to choose which one to use. For instance, choose one for physical combat and one for magical stuff. The end. Everything you wish to do that is physical uses that one stat, anything magical uses the other one. Then change the point buy to have REALLY diminishing rewards, and allow instead to have balanced stats all around fairly easily. Keep the defenses' and skills' stat dependancy. End of MAD, and you can choose to overspecialize (gimping your skills and defenses) or generalize (losing a bit of offense).
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
 I'm all for helping players who got into a MAD class and/or making the wizard less SAD (cha for illusion and maybe enchantemment, con for abjuration etc and of course int for all).
I don't know about you guys but I think constitution and dexterity are vital for any class. Just because a rogue or wizard in't a front line fighter doesn't mean they are useless in a scrape.

Perhaps if people stopped assuming the mage can't fight unless he's got spells, a lot of that 10 minute work day garbage would evaporate.

Maybe if a fighter needed a high wisdom or intelligence score to use those intricate combat maneuvers they seem to demand these days those abilities would stop being dump stats for them. I hear a lot of discontent about how fighters are useless in interaction situations because the other classes have better scores in the skills required to use them. Maybe putting some love into your intelligence or charisma scores might help.

I hope that when we get to look at the new system every stat on the character sheet is as important as any other and deciding where to drop that 9 you rolled might come down to using your class or race bonus to raise it rather than just dropping it someplace you aren't going to use anyway. 
I don't know about you guys but I think constitution and dexterity are vital for any class. Just because a rogue or wizard in't a front line fighter doesn't mean they are useless in a scrape.

Perhaps if people stopped assuming the mage can't fight unless he's got spells, a lot of that 10 minute work day garbage would evaporate.

Maybe if a fighter needed a high wisdom or intelligence score to use those intricate combat maneuvers they seem to demand these days those abilities would stop being dump stats for them. I hear a lot of discontent about how fighters are useless in interaction situations because the other classes have better scores in the skills required to use them. Maybe putting some love into your intelligence or charisma scores might help.

I hope that when we get to look at the new system every stat on the character sheet is as important as any other and deciding where to drop that 9 you rolled might come down to using your class or race bonus to raise it rather than just dropping it someplace you aren't going to use anyway. 

The concept of a "dump stat" may be annoying to some people, but the reality is that you just can't get rid of it. You can move it around and you can vary whether it will be 5 or 8 or 10 but you can't really demand everyone to have 12 in all stats. Especially if having 10 instead will increase your primary stat.

Some people like to make characters with a decent score in all abilities, some like to have characters that are really good at one thing - don't change so that one of these becomes impossible.

For me, I am ok with having one stat be 8-10. If you make the rule set so that every low score is a horrid disadvantage, you just force everybody to be more similar since you then need to invest in all stats.

The best way is to get cool stuff from each stat, but only have your main stat as "mandatory" for any class specific thing and a few optional secondary stats be important, but so that you could have both of them or only one of them.
Why does the OP think Dex is important for the Fighter's defenses but not important for the Wizards?  Does his DM just ignore his wizard when it comes to ranged attacks?

(And, for that matter, in 4E most wizards have better reflex defenses (typically targetted by ranged attacks) than most fighters because they can use INT for reflex.  So I'll assume he's referring to earlier editions).

Carl