New to Gamma World

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Started playing my first 3.5 dnd game about a year ago, now the group is playing Champions, but when the DM is away, I'm looking into draging the group through Gamma World. Any tips for first time DMs?
make sure everyone (especially yourself) knows the rule system . the last thing you need is to be explaining people how to attack every time it's your turn.

also I would suggest photocopying the origin pages for use as reference sheets for your players. this will allow you to hold on the the rulebook.

that all I can think of at the moment. I might post more as i think of things.
Say yes.  Just like in D&D.  Of course I let the player use his "inflatable buddy" utility to drive the car.   How else could he drive and teleport into the truck.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

I've been listening to DnD podcasts for several years now, including Critical Hit and the Penny Arcade/PvP, I pretty sure I got the 4th edition rules down.  Just started one thats Gamma World, Flagon and Dragons.  

I've found some stuff googling, like the power cards and the expanded junk list.  Though I do like the Junkatron.  
Junkaton is awesome. Absoultely essential.

Some good resources here: www.rovingbandofmisfits.com/tag/gamma-wo..., incuding PDF's of Origins info and character creation steps.

I actually haven't played any DnD 4e, but there are some subtle differences in combat from what I hear.
I notticed there is no Charging in Gamma World.  Also Second wind is a minor action for all characters where as in DnD its most often a standard. 
I notticed there is no Charging in Gamma World.

there is, it just isn't in the rules. if I recall correctly, one of the felinoid powers mentions it.
Say yes.  Just like in D&D.  Of course I let the player use his "inflatable buddy" utility to drive the car.   How else could he drive and teleport into the truck.

that once acutually happened in a game that I ran.
Am I the only one that thought of the "inflaitable buddy" as the auto pilot in Airplane.
I've been listening to DnD podcasts for several years now, including Critical Hit and the Penny Arcade/PvP, I pretty sure I got the 4th edition rules down.  Just started one thats Gamma World, Flagon and Dragons.  

I've found some stuff googling, like the power cards and the expanded junk list.  Though I do like the Junkatron.  

Yes, having the power cards is good, you can find those on the forums here somewhere. There are also some origins cards out there too: oneinchsquare.net/2010/12/08/gamma-world...
Giving them to players beforehand lets them have their origins, origin powers, and alpha/omega cards all in front of them.
Critical Hits (the blog) has a whole page of Gamma World resources: critical-hits.com/features/gamma-world/

Also essential (in my humble opinion) is the Gamma World GM Cheat sheet, found on my blog: www.rovingbandofmisfits.com/2012/02/gamm... This will let you level up and down monsters quickly, and otherwise do stuff on the fly more easily.
Check out my blog over at Roving Band of Misfits, or follow me on Twitter
Am I the only one that thought of the "inflaitable buddy" as the auto pilot in Airplane.

No , everyone at the table thought it.  WAs pretty damn funny.  I had to let him do it.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Printed off two copies of each origin and also 6 random characters if the group dosen't want to create their own.  Also found a unoffical scailing of the adventure in the book, so I'm going to run a variation of that.  Put a copy of the rule book on my phone so while I'm at work tonight I can read through it again.  
I'd strongly encourage group character creation, even if there's some resistance from the players. Also (not to negate the previous sentence) there's an auto character generator on the WotC site, here:

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...
Check out my blog over at Roving Band of Misfits, or follow me on Twitter
I made the characters on the website, also gave them the link so they could make their own. Also going to leave it open to them creating them right before the game too.

I am mostly into D&D but at times in imaging thing more modern and did so as mate Elvira, pulp fiction, and zombie lands as more RPG setting than combat of gamma world.

I am not new to gamma world just a spectator who envisioned a setting that was very interesting to imagine and trying to post in a seen forum hence that explains the two other versions on others threads with this third being the last to post for comment on innovation of setting. (there are some many forums that have not use for over year now!)

This may be a reason to retro-fit D20 modern with aspect in gamma world as it includes a clean lines horror hostess of the most-est televising an invasion in movie while it happening outside using Tinkerbelle fairy dust to bring the zombies refreshed alive into flesh out tourism as normal otherness all over again form the anotherness of the cemetery plot.    

Yes I do write in psychedelically sardine packed paragraphs but the double, triple, and more meaning come from a confusion of mean this or that be something entirely different as well as all of the above and blow

The story setting;

Our hayride field at Hollyween hallow farm fright within somebody town Post It Prairie Note in heat of greattea heartland midnight television ferments those B–boggled movies as shows Hollywood Hope Hayl'eggs who fodder flirt torch on small screen from home brewed studio atop agricultural silo sheerleads wear dresses media dolled up be helpless actress curvy award please their cheese lives within Peanuts & Wheaty penthouse a TV public pubic princess adulage relive juggy pom-pom jiggler queen in fast food date.

Menu showing night of zombie movie arising grave robbing army from ground work invaded town people TV watching zombies see reality zombies outside windows sliver screen scream past small screen reelity left infatuated Hayl'eggs ratings drop for old bornoir frustrated herded chow crowd harvest at organ donors past meal road while Hayl'eggs choirgirl liner starlet below showgirl kenogirl safe in Bars & Grills security system host on set with survivors inside scenery location broadcasts outside world helped out boudoir props burlesques prom plead former cathouse boutique needed be taken seriously by others watch partygirl unaffected entertains.

Partying prankster did publicity stunt save rises Hayl'eggs ratings before seen prom drama before Hayl'eggs pledged dives damsel in distress, "Hello from pair up there for down there in a rut with your beer skeg running empty gets moonshined for Caesar tossing salads? Then this TV show is for you with headlights on and shutters opening but, those windows stay closed darlings!" have once appeared debutante now taxi danced demimonde gymgal bimbody flirt thirties needing zombody majority moral minority audience.

Waged rolled over employees till only their wages live burlesques day dream pom-pom prim wedge escape bank boudoir boutique pray as menu diner hostess vended debutante special open fiduciary fantasy access nights evapordated days lewd obscured lurid.

Bitten minority moral majority knows vampiress is adultery adventuress ignored rippling wench wave loud dress luridly hemhosiery appearance for mankind kindling kept girl on air boredom in foodlands desert grow somebody else crop think their bus stop station is tourist attraction worth this gas pricing there too expansive highway passing resting in peace activity left restitutions in perpetuity night timed nine O'clock left sheriff his fingers counting deputies still have arms up try not to loose limbs with their brains it invader.

Vampious fairy dust of maxi-padded Hollywood model over there agency long ignored by popular opinion courtesan come scenery exotic extra allowing to pouf puffing make up tips with alife somewhere else undead here tourism returned buying spectators finally thinking this eraser brushes social set surrogate farming famishing for food and attention be worth their pennies from heaven price.

*blink!*

Well I'm under constant threat of getting sued back in to the stone age by WotC, so you get right on that.

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

A Walk In the Dark blog

Current PCs
Expedition to Castle Greyhawk (DnD 4e) - Jaana Allera, 13th level Human Rogue

I am mostly into D&D but at times in imaging thing more modern and did so as mate Elvira, pulp fiction, and zombie lands as more RPG setting than combat of gamma world.

I am not new to gamma world just a spectator who envisioned a setting that was very interesting to imagine and trying to post in a seen forum hence that explains the two other versions on others threads with this third being the last to post for comment on innovation of setting. (there are some many forums that have not use for over year now!)

This may be a reason to retro-fit D20 modern with aspect in gamma world as it includes a clean lines horror hostess of the most-est televising an invasion in movie while it happening outside using Tinkerbelle fairy dust to bring the zombies refreshed alive into flesh out tourism as normal otherness all over again form the anotherness of the cemetery plot.    

Yes I do write in psychedelically sardine packed paragraphs but the double, triple, and more meaning come from a confusion of mean this or that be something entirely different as well as all of the above and blow

The story setting;

Our hayride field at Hollyween hallow farm fright within somebody town Post It Prairie Note in heat of greattea heartland midnight television ferments those B–boggled movies as shows Hollywood Hope Hayl'eggs who fodder flirt torch on small screen from home brewed studio atop agricultural silo sheerleads wear dresses media dolled up be helpless actress curvy award please their cheese lives within Peanuts & Wheaty penthouse a TV public pubic princess adulage relive juggy pom-pom jiggler queen in fast food date.

Menu showing night of zombie movie arising grave robbing army from ground work invaded town people TV watching zombies see reality zombies outside windows sliver screen scream past small screen reelity left infatuated Hayl'eggs ratings drop for old bornoir frustrated herded chow crowd harvest at organ donors past meal road while Hayl'eggs choirgirl liner starlet below showgirl kenogirl safe in Bars & Grills security system host on set with survivors inside scenery location broadcasts outside world helped out boudoir props burlesques prom plead former cathouse boutique needed be taken seriously by others watch partygirl unaffected entertains.

Partying prankster did publicity stunt save rises Hayl'eggs ratings before seen prom drama before Hayl'eggs pledged dives damsel in distress, "Hello from pair up there for down there in a rut with your beer skeg running empty gets moonshined for Caesar tossing salads? Then this TV show is for you with headlights on and shutters opening but, those windows stay closed darlings!" have once appeared debutante now taxi danced demimonde gymgal bimbody flirt thirties needing zombody majority moral minority audience.

Waged rolled over employees till only their wages live burlesques day dream pom-pom prim wedge escape bank boudoir boutique pray as menu diner hostess vended debutante special open fiduciary fantasy access nights evapordated days lewd obscured lurid.

Bitten minority moral majority knows vampiress is adultery adventuress ignored rippling wench wave loud dress luridly hemhosiery appearance for mankind kindling kept girl on air boredom in foodlands desert grow somebody else crop think their bus stop station is tourist attraction worth this gas pricing there too expansive highway passing resting in peace activity left restitutions in perpetuity night timed nine O'clock left sheriff his fingers counting deputies still have arms up try not to loose limbs with their brains it invader.

Vampious fairy dust of maxi-padded Hollywood model over there agency long ignored by popular opinion courtesan come scenery exotic extra allowing to pouf puffing make up tips with alife somewhere else undead here tourism returned buying spectators finally thinking this eraser brushes social set surrogate farming famishing for food and attention be worth their pennies from heaven price.

Yeah, um... ... ... wha? (. o)
Sign In to post comments