My 2nd 4E Character Ever

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for help trying to make a striker (my first striker and second character I've ever made to actually play in 4e). It is for a D&D Encounters game, but the DM is pretty relaxed, so as long as I stick to the guidelines for the big stuff (class, race, theme), I don't think individual feats and the like are going to be restricted. For now, I have established that I am playing an Elementalist, and a Human, and I am leaning towards the Primordial Adept theme to get a rod proficiency (Rod Expertise seems like the best expertise for a starting.

Basically, starting at 1st level (and having been told the highest I am likely to get in Encounters season is 4th), I am looking to optimize the amount of damage I do in an average round. I have done my best to do that (at great expense to my defenses and the like), but I am sure I am missing some things due to inexperience.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Stirling Snowmantle, level 1

Human, Sorcerer (Elementalist)

Elemental Specialty Option: Air Elementalist

Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

Arcane Tracker (+2 to Dungeoneering)

Theme: Primordial Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18

AC: 13 Fort: 13 Ref: 12 Will: 18

HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +5, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +7, Nature +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +0, Athletics –1, Endurance +2, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidate +5, Perception +0, Religion +0, Stealth +0, Streetwise +5, Thievery +0

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Primordial Adept Attack: Vezzuvu's Eruption

Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt

Sorcerer Attack: Howling Zephyr

Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Air)

Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade

FEATS

Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate rod)

Level 1: Rod Expertise

ITEMS

Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1

Adventurer's Kit

Accurate dagger x1

Dagger boots

Accurate rod x1

====== End ======

If you want a combination of easy to play and high damage try Tiefling Sorcerer (Elementalist) Fire.  Hellfire Blood for your first feat. Staff Expertise for your second. 20 Cha 16 Con after racial adjustments. I'm pretty sure you can take Unseelie Agent theme choosing Quarterstaff and use your +1 shadow staff as an implement. If not then you can take Infernal Prince theme for the +1 to hit. Take Elemental Bolt and Ignition for your at wills.
Elemental Bolt will be +7 vs Reflex for 1D12 + 1D6 + 9 damage. (+ 10 if the Unseelie staff trick works) Ignition gives you a good burst power. You do nearly 20 damage a turn on average with a very accurate at will. Your AC will suck so try to stay away from the front line.
Ok, i made a few changes in your idea, i stick everything you want, the only major change is you're now a Half-Elf, but you stick as "Human" for all purposes.

I changed Elemental Specialty to Fire, cuz you deal a lot more damage, and you can exploit ever more "Incendiary Dagger" implement, you got +2 Damage from Energized Propriety and +1 from Unerring, cause Elemental bolt target reflex.

Knack for Success is already a lot better choice than Dilettante, but for a "Human" Elementalist is OVER, since you can exploit even more Arcane Reservers Feat in Level 2 (+2 damage, untyped, to all your at-will when you don't have any encounters attack powers... ).

Theme is Infernal Prince, obvious, +1 attack rolls and Hellfire Heart you can cause a lot more damage.

Basic you main tactics will be:

(Minor Action) - Knack for Success + 2 on your next attack roll
(Free) Elemental Escaltion (Fire) + 1d10 and another target for your Elemental Bolt
(Standard) Elemental Bolot + 7 vs Ref, 1d12+1d6+10 damage
(No Action) Hellfire Heart +6 Damage .

So you have +9 Attack (almost impossible to miss on level 1, and without any type of combat advantage, so sometimes can be +11) with 2x(1d10+1d12+1d6+10) + 6 = 54 damage!

This a lot damage only in a level 1 "nova" encounter, without any magical items, so you can cause a lot more damage than others strikers using their daily powers.

The only drawback is your defenses, but is acceptible for a level 1 ranged-striker, and you have alot more hitpoints cause "Auspicious Birth", so don't worry you don't gonna die so easy, and pray for no one target your reflex.

Stirling Snowmantle, level 1
Half-Elf, Elementalist
Elemental Specialty: Fire Elementalist
Half-Elf Power Selection: Knack for Success
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Infernal Prince

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 13 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 17
HP: 32 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +10, Intimidate +10, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History, Insight +2, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth, Streetwise +5, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)

POWERS

Sorcerer Attack: Ignition

Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)

ITEMS
Incendiary dagger, Dagger Boots, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Adventurer's Kit
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Wow, a whole build! Thanks much. It looks like the consensus is definitely that I play half-elf (or maybe tiefling, but I'm not sure if the DM would allow that big of a change at this point), which makes sense ability score wise. The only reason I played human was that somebody told me that attack bonus is better than the same amount of bonus to damage ("cause if you miss your damage don't matter") and so I could make my attack bonus higher with multiple feats. Switching to fire from lightning/thunder seems like the way to go to (another choice I made because of someone else's advice, from a guy who said lots of bad guys are immune to fire but none are immune to thunder, or something) with the Infernal Prince theme.

Just a thought, it occurs to me that I could still do human (maybe?) and get the extra feat, so I get both Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger) and Implement Expertise (Light blade) at 1st level, and then the first round big-damage-stike is just slightly less good at +8 to Attack; 1d12+1d6+1d10+9+6 damage -- but I then get that +8 attack bonus every round instead of just the first round, and 1d12+1d6+9 at that attack bonus at-will seems decent too. Of course, as a human, my Con stays at 14 so my AC gets even worse, (though Fort-Ref-Will gets better), so I should stick with half-elf, yeah?
The only reason I played human was that somebody told me that attack bonus is better than the same amount of bonus to damage ("cause if you miss your damage don't matter") and so I could make my attack bonus higher with multiple feats.

That is generally true.

Humans +1 feat might make up for the lack of a secondary stat, depending on the class/build.  Heroic Effort is quite powerful too and better then knack for success. 

It's a tough choice. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

As an update, I went with human but otherwise pretty much used Mastertime's build, so thanks everyone for all the help. My character's first round damage is pretty ridiculous, and in follow-up rounds he is still a force to be reckoned with.

Now, I am 2nd level, and have some tough choices. None of the 2nd level Utility options I see in the Character Builder seem awesome for me. I am also entirely uncertain what to take as my new feat. Below is the build, I could sure use some more advice, because I am actually less clear on what are good options for this level as I was when building the actually character. Somebody is working on an Elementalist's guide, and that can't come fast enough for me.

My build is below. Assistance is really gratefully appreciated.
Show

Stirling Snowmantle, level 2

Human, Sorcerer (Elementalist)

Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist

Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Light blade)

Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Rod)

Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18

AC: 13 Fort: 14 Ref: 12 Will: 19

HP: 37 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +6, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Heal +1, History +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +6, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Streetwise +6, Thievery +1

POWERS

Infernal Prince Attack: Hellfire Heart

Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade

FEATS

Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)

Level 1: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS

Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1

Adventurer's Kit

Incendiary dagger x1

Dagger Boots

====== End ======

Off-hand, a feat I can see is Unarmored Agility. As long as you're wearing Cloth Armor (which you are), you get a +2 Feat Bonus to AC. This will bring your AC up to 15 AC. It's not an offensive feat, but does shore up your defense a little.

Unarmored Agility is a solid pick for things like this, yeah. It's probably what I'd do.

Another possibilty could be Arcane Spellfury(PHB 2). When you hit with an at-will sorcerer power, you gain +1 attack against that enemy until the end of your next turn. Since Elementalist is just an at-will spammer, it should be up a fair bit of the time. Other than maybe Implement Focus (Dagger), I'm not sure what else might be useful in this situation.

As for your Utility, Endure Pain would be nice. Interrupts are resolved before their triggers, so you would get 7 points of Resist All until the end of your next turn. That can severely reduce or even negate a hit.
Off-hand, a feat I can see is Unarmored Agility. As long as you're wearing Cloth Armor (which you are), you get a +2 Feat Bonus to AC. This will bring your AC up to 15 AC. It's not an offensive feat, but does shore up your defense a little.

Is Unarmored Agility better than Leather Armor Proficiency?

Is Unarmored Agility better than Leather Armor Proficiency?

They're about equal; it mostly depends on if there's a particular enchantment you want on your armor, and if it only comes in cloth or leather.
One: Unarmored Agility gives an immediate boost to AC; Armor Proficiency: Leather requires him to take the feat, then buy and equip a set of leather armor. If his group isn't currently in a location that has a store, he will have a feat that isn't doing anything for him.

Second: he may not have access to anything we just recommended. It sounds like he's doing the Elemental Eye thing, which restricts what you can use. If so, he may not have access to anything we just suggested. I'm at work, so I can't check what is available to him at the moment, but I'll take a look when I get home.
Just a little thread necromancy to say thanks to everyone who helped by posting, and to share the character that I finally ended up with when the Encounters season ended last week. Using all your advice, my big nova damage ended up great (I ended the season with an opening attack of +10 vs. Reflex for 1d12+1d10+1d6+15 fire damage to two enemies, who could be on opposite ends of the battlefield) and I was the one who killed the season's big villain (with, ironically, my first and only melee attack of the game).

Here is the version that made 4th level at the end of the very last session. After spending three of the sessions at tables without defenders, I learned that my abysmal defenses did matter, so I spent some feats getting my AC and Reflex a little help, as folks here suggested:

Show

Stirling Snowmantle, level 4

Half-Elf, Sorcerer (Elementalist)

Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma

Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist

Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante

Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 11, WIS 10, CHA 18

AC: 19 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 20

HP: 48 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +8, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +2, Athletics +1, Diplomacy +9, Heal +2, History +3, Insight +4, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +3, Stealth +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +2

POWERS

Infernal Prince Attack: Hellfire Heart

Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike

Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle

FEATS

Level 1: War Wizard's Expertise

Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather

Level 4: Rod Expertise

ITEMS

Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)

Adventurer's Kit

Ashen rod x1

Dagger boots

Dagger