U/G Self Mill Suggestions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Self-mill suggestion: Don't do it.  But if you must, give Ghoultree a try, it's pretty threatening.
Add more creatures.. Not explosive enough without mill skaabs.

20 is like... lower than the lowest that any of this decktype should contain.

Also, 10/10s for three mana own face.
Tehbeast, what is so bad about the G/U self mill decks?  In my casual group, the guys I play with hate it when I bring it out.  I know it is susceptible to grave cleansing, but is there anything other than that?  I am new to the game, and am interested in learning as much as I can.

Also, I like having a few Artful Dodges in my deck.  Even if they get milled into the graveyard, you can still use them.  What is the thought about that spell?

Creatures
Deranged Assistant x4
Screeching Skaab x3
Armored Skaab x2
Splinterfright x4
Kessig Cagebreakers x4
Mirror-Mad Phantasm x1
Laboratory Maniac x2

Instants
Gnaw to the Bone x3
Dream Twist x3
Memory's Journey x2
Noxious Revival x3

Sorceries
Tracker's Instincts x3
Mulch x3

Lands
Hinterland Harbor x4
Island x9
Forest x10

Sideboard
Turn Aside x4
Mana Leak x4
Unsummon x4
Silent Departure x3

I run two versions of this deck, U/G and B/U/G I'm still trying to decide which I like better, here's the things I've found from running it so far and from discussing it on some other sites.

First, Deranged Assistant is too slow, the two and three slots are pretty full of mill and creatures, if you want mana acceleration you're MUCH better off with Birds of Paradise, they give you a bit of color fixing as well which can be important.  Also, the birds are a bigger target for early removal which helps you out too.  Either you get an early creature in the graveyard or you get mana fixing.

The Skaabs are good, I would run more of them.  In my lists I run 3 of each but I would prefer to run 4 of each I just don't have the room for them though.

Kessig Cagebreaker is ok, but running 4 of him is too many.  He wins the game if he swings but he's a prime target for removal, 1-2 is a better number.

Mirror-Mad Phantasm isn't all that good because of the mana cost.  To use it in one turn you need 7 mana, or to use it over two turns you need 5 mana.  It mills a lot but there's better things to do with that mana such as cast Ghoultrees, Boneyard Wurms, Skaabs, milling spells, and Splinterfright.

Laboratory Maniac isn't that good either, what wins the game with him is the act of drawing cards and this deck doesn't have much that actually says draw a card.  So you take a big risk playing him, emptying your library, and then waiting a turn to draw.

Gnaw to the Bone is great but you're running too many, 1-2 is enough.  I run 1 in my lists and I'm seriously considering moving it to the sideboard.

Memorys Journey and Noxious Revival are cards the deck doesn't need.  You don't need to be worried about getting threats back from your graveyard with this deck, instead just run more threats.

Tracker's Instincts should be a 4 of, this is the best card in the deck by far.

Mulch is good too, you can actually cut land and run more Mulch since they'll find you your mana and give you some extra mill too.  This deck makes a lot of it's land drops thanks to this card.

Here's the lists I'm running for reference, the U/G is the main list and B/U/G is just something that's experimental after trying and finding R/U/G to be inferior.

You want to run a lot of creatures in this deck, I would say no less than 25 but 30+ is preferable.  It makes trackers so much better and allows you to mill threats without running out of good cards.  Also, this is tuned to my meta, it's loaded with equipment and enchantments so I mainboard answers for that.

U/G
Creatures
Birds of Paradise x4
Splinterfright x4
Ghoultree x4
Boneyard Wurm x4
Dungeon Geists x3
Armored Skaab x3
Screeching Skaab x3
Sylvok Replica x2

Spells
Tracker's Instincts x4
Gnaw to the Bone x1
Mulch x4
Dream Twist x3

Lands
Hinterland Harbor x4
Island x7
Forest x7
Buried Ruin x2

Sideboard
Sylvok Replica x2
Phyrexian Revoker x3
Phyrexian Metamorph x3
Daybreak Ranger x3
Gnaw to the Bone x2
Artful Dodge x2

Now here's BUG, I don't have a sideboard made for it yet, but I've found there's very little in black that's sideboard worthy so it will probably be pretty similar to the U/G sideboard.

Creatures
Birds of Paradise x4
Splinterfright x4
Ghoultree x4
Armored Skaab x3
Screeching Skaab x3
Sylvok Replica x2
Dungeon Geists x3
Phyrexian Metamorph x2
Glissa, the Traitor x2
Gravecrawler x4

Spells
Tracker's Instincts x4
Gnaw to the Bone x1
Mulch x4

Lands
Hinterland Harbor x4
Darkslick Shores x4
Woodland Cemetery x4
Island x2
Forest x6

I want to try Grimgrin in the deck, I think he has some potential, also with Gravecrawlers filling the slot of a 2/1 attacker Screeching Skaab's may be replaced with Dream Twist.  BUG has less milling power than U/G and I think that's slowing it down too much.  A Bonehoard may find it's way into the BUG list too, with Glissa it's easy to get back milled artifacts.

Hope this helped
Sign In to post comments