03/01/2012 FtL: "More Two-Faced Tricks"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I still would have used Voltaic Key in the "Death Clock" deck.  It would allow you multiple activations in a single turn. You can use it to get multiple activations of Druidic Satchel and Trigon of Mending to gain gobs of life in a turn.  Also, once Chalice of Life becomes Chalice of Death you can kill most opponents in relatively short order.

The Unwinding Clock simply allows more activations on an opponent's turn.  Especially since you have Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, and Pristine Talisman which would untap as well giving you mana during an opponent's turn.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I don't get how Unnatural Selection transforms Ravager in to Huntmaster, can someone explain this to me?
I don't get how Unnatural Selection transforms Ravager in to Huntmaster, can someone explain this to me?

Unnatural Selection can be used to give Ravager of the Fells the "human" creature type and be able to transform with Moonmist back to Huntmaster of the Fells.
Alright, I see it now. Not really sure how I missed that. Thanks
I like the huntmaster dec...GAH!! $380 mana base! XDDD

The Demon deck is pretty cool too, but I think I would trade out the village cannibals and one of the undertakers for 3 more copies of increasing devotion.  That card is just bananas and a win condition all on its own.

Death Clock deck is just plain silly.  I'm not sure how I feel about the sunbeam spellbomb or trigon of mending though.  They feel underwhelming and the deck itself could use some more creatures.  I realize it's a control deck but straight lifegain not only sucks, but it tends to be out-tempoed easily (unless it's in truly prodigious amounts).  I strongly suggest some of these instead:
lone missionary
Kitchen Finks
Knight of meadowgrain
exalted angel

drogskol reaver could make a funny bomb for the deck
felidar sovereign as another win condition, not to mention he lifelinks

well of lost dreams life gain for card draw

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I really don't get how the Huntmaster combo is supposed to go infinite.
Flyheight

The "Death Clock" deck is built around transforming Chalice of Life into Chalice of Death and killing the opponent with it.  It only needs enough lifegain to transform and stay alive long enough to kill the opponent with Chalice of Death.

Kageyaiba

The combo isn't infinite, but it can be done multiple times for as many Isochron Scepters you have.
Flyheight

The "Death Clock" deck is built around transforming Chalice of Life into Chalice of Death and killing the opponent with it.  It only needs enough lifegain to transform and stay alive long enough to kill the opponent with Chalice of Death.

I understand that, but you need the deck to do something when you don't get the chalice (the deck only has 4 chalices and 2 fabricates) or be able to stall long enough to get to the chalice AND still have 30+ life at that point that you finally do get to the chalice.  The spellbomb and the trigon aren't going to do either of those for you.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Flyheight

I understand that, but you need the deck to do something when you don't get the chalice (the deck only has 4 chalices and 2 fabricates) or be able to stall long enough to get to the chalice AND still have 30+ life at that point that you finally do get to the chalice.  The spellbomb and the trigon aren't going to do either of those for you.

I wasn't saying that the deck was good.  I was saying what the deck does.  The deck doesn't do anything without the Chalice.  It uses Aven Riftwatchers to block, Timely Reinforcements to make some chump blockers, and has absorb to try and stop serious threats from being played.  Staff of Domination can help out as well by tapping a creature or drawing a card.

I understand perfectly that the deck would fall to any reasonable attacking deck and should have extra defenses.  
How is the Ludevic's Test Subject getting transformed on turn 3? It requires Unnatural Selection and Moonmist to get the combo to work, which are both 2CMC cards (and the Unnatural Selection requires 1 for activation). Without some mana acceleration you can't get out three 2CMC cards by turn three. If you use the Scorned Villager for mana acceleration then that takes up the turn two spell, so you still can't get everything out by turn three, even if she flips.

Did I miss something?
Sign In to post comments