Vortex - a hybrid Monk/Sorcerer

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am building a Hybrid Monk/Sorcerer.
She initially began training in the monestary as a monk, with her natural grace and acrobatics it fit well with the order. But then at her maturity she all of a sudden started manifesting powers beyond her martial training.

Initially I was going to create a Centered Breath/Wild Sorcerer (fits better with the storyline, which I have written in much more depth offline). In looking at how I could achieve significant damage I stumbled on all of the 'adjacent target' damage that a sorcerer has; combine that with close burst monk powers....and BOOMER's your uncle.
I also like some of the synergies; dagger as implement/ki focus, burst and aoe,

I need your help to optimize what how to maximize the affects and still stay viable and alive.

Here is the build so far. (no equipment yet as I need LOTS of help with that, omg the selection is mind boggling). I'm starting the adventure at level 1, but showed here at level 4 so you get the idea of my initial direction.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kianna , level 4
Human, Monk/Sorcerer
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Dexterity
Hybrid Talent Option: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer Option: Soul of the Cosmic Cycle
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 19, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17
HP: 46 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +6, Bluff +10, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +3, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +2, Heal +3, History +1, Insight +3, Intimidate +5, Nature +3, Religion +1, Stealth +6, Streetwise +5, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Sorcerer Attack 1: Chaos Bolt
Monk Attack 1: Crane's Wings
Monk Attack 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Sorcerer Attack 1: Shocking Magnetism
Sorcerer Utility 2: Shield of Flames
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Deadly Draw
Level 4: Sorcerous Blade Channeling

ITEMS
Dagger x2
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
====== End ======

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas

~ Rob
I don't know that much about sorcerer, but the new monk build in HOEC uses dex/cha for its flurry of blows, which also penalizes nearby enemies attacks against you.  And it has an at will that boosts your fire damage to melee attacks.   The OCB won't give you that as an option, but it is RAW legal.

Hybrid strikers are complicated since you will not be able to use your flurry with sorcerer powers. Sorcerers don't have any off turn encounter attack powers until they get to higher levels and have one minor action power at level 3 that you didn't take so you will struggle to get the most out of both classes.
Don't forget to pay your feat tax.  Pick up ki focus expertise.  If you are really set on sliding and moving, you should look at the iron ki focus, a superior implement that increases forced move you do through it by 1.  You could actually take it at first level if you really wanted to but you would have to give up unarmored agility.
"Hybrid strikers are complicated since you will not be able to use your flurry with sorcerer powers. Sorcerers don't have any off turn encounter attack powers until they get to higher levels and have one minor action power at level 3 that you didn't take so you will struggle to get the most out of both classes."

Where in the builder can I find that flurry of blows does only work for monk powers? 
It doesn't appear to be anywhere in CB unfortunately. It's listed as Monastic Tradition(Hybrid) on the character sheet but they don't actually tell you what that means. It is in the Hybrid Monk Compendium entry.
The new Monk flurry of Desert Wind is Cha-based and awesome, it would really make the hybrid viable. Pity that MC and/or Hybrid Monk (don't remember if one or both) don't even have access to Iron Soul Flurry in the builder, so go figure when they'll add Desert Wind and Eternal Tide.
Anyway, you can still edit the build later.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

This is one instance where I strongly disagree with GO, just because you can't double up on stiker features doesn't mean it's at all weaker, especially since neither eats up your minor actions, and you won't lose striker damage on granted RBAs/MBAs thanks to Ensorcelled Blade and Dragonfrost (yay Humans?)

The problem is that overall there's not much synergy, just a lot of overlap. Both classes are "Dude with a staff or dagger flying/shifting/teleporting around, attacking multiple enemies with magical power." You don't even need to Hybrid for this concept, both the Desert Wind Monk from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos and the Wild Soul Sorcerer fit the concept perfectly on their own without any change in fluff AND are going to be a lot easier to build; if you really want to add in some mechanical backup, just take the appropriate Multiclass feat (Arcane Prodigy or Monastic Disciple)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Zathris, I am not sure this is automatically weaker, especially in heroic, but the build has potential issues and I don't think you get much out of hybridding.

As he levels what boosts damage for one hybrid class a lot of the time won't boost it for the other for instance.  Dual implement spellcaster won't help his monk powers and starblade flurry won't help his sorcerer powers for instance and those are two of the better damage boosting feats those classes normally take.

If I was interested in doing this sort of build I would be likely to go sorcerer with the monastic adept feat or maybe monk with a sorcerer power swap.  If I was going hybrid I would take sorcerer minor and immediate encounter powers to make up for the fact that monks don't get those.  That is giving you something for the damage tradeoff that is going to occur by hybriding.
If this is built to fill the ranged and close area damage role it needs better defences
1st. Unarmoured Agility is good
 Then Hybrid talent to get +2 AC from the monk hybrid option. The sorcerer ones aren't worth it, in my experience, you need the defence boost
Then accuracy, 3rd and 4th feats are versatile expertise then superior implement.
Only after that would I go for damage enhancers or modifiers. I'd prob pick up sorcerous blade chanelling late heroic myself.

As GO says, don't select the default monk hybrid options, click custom power and search 'desert wind' to get the correct flurry power.

As for powers, The 5th level monk dailies are not that great wheras Masterful Spiral at 1st is better than most of the 5th level options.
I'd take it at 1st and a Sorcerer power at 5th.

I'd also take a cha/dex race.

I helped make a monk|rogue recently for a game and it still got hit hard, even with AC 24 at 6th (admittedly it was a level+4 encounter). The monk rogue has low slash available, so they can nova for both class damage boosts in a round at least once per encounter, twice with an action point.
D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.
You say weaker in heroic, and then cite a Paragon feat and a feat that's only worth a feat slot once you get an off-hand that's +2 (roughly around level 8).

@Dawn: Assuming you stick with the Hybrid Build (again, I suggest just going Strait Wild Sorc MC Monk, or Strait Monk - do not MC Sorc!) I would absolutely avoid Hybrid Talent for the Sorcerer, all you gain are riders and resistances, almost all the powers you should take don't have riders, and you can get resistances from other feats or items. You'll want Ensorcelled Blade as your Sorcerer At-Will, and possibly to take Dragonfrost as your extra At-Will from being human. Thunder Leap at level 5, Lightning Cuts at level 7, Prime the Fire at level 9 (I don't know monks very well, I just know those are great powers for the Sorcerer).  Don't take Deadly Draw or Blade Channeling yet, you need Expertise, and probably a Superior Ki Focus (Accurate or Unerring)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
No I said its not necessarily weaker in heroic, but I could have been more clear.  You can slap hybrid monk on almost any class that likes a high dex in early heroic without much problem because it gets ki focus and five storms.

I am more worried about the build if he plans to take it to higher levels, which its not clear he plans to do.  At 1-3 it should be fine.
Checked with my other half. Here's what we have for a  AoE role monk|sorc  at 6th

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 19, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 19

AC: 23 Fort: 16 Ref: 18 Will: 19 HP: 49

Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Sorcerer Attack 1: Blazing Starfall
Monk Attack 1: Light the Fire
Monk Attack 1: Masterful Spiral
Sorcerer Utility 2: Rock Armor
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral (lightning cut just didn't cut it)
Sorcerer Attack 5: Thunder Leap
Monk Utility 6: Centered Defense

D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.
I think you might really be interested in either of the two new monk builds in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos.  They seem to fit your backstory really well, and would basically be the same character, but full monk.

Hybrid monk just generally isn't that great, although it might look nice at first. It almost demands you burn two feats on defenses, and as currently built, your sorcerer powers don't have great accuracy.  As a rule, you shouldn't make a hybrid unless you really get some synergy going that makes up for the things you've given up.  I think a Monk/Sorc is going to have to work pretty hard to get there.
It's playable, but  you have to work to make it playable. It's certainly do-able if the party needs it.

As a 5th char for a specific party it can fill a role. It could be similarly taken by a swormage|warlcock which is considered more optimal (among other things it can have a close burst 2 at-will in paragon). You could make a case for a druid|monk (but go sentinel as beast form would conflict with monk) as staff is shared and magic stones could be used without provoking, but again it's not optimal. I looked at a few of these hybrids recently as we needed some skills covered as well as AoE role. I ended up going monk|rogue, which takes some work but gets a bit of optimisational synergie, shares dex primary, dagger implement and gets more skills.