First Ranger build, have a question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have tried searching on the forums, but I hate the way the search works and couldnt find an answer to my question, so I am just asking it.

Which type of armor is best for a two-bladed ranger?

I was already wanting to emulate a bit of the Time Bomb build, but our DM lets us roll our ability scores and I ended up rolling 17, 17, 13, 16, 11, 16 (in no particular order) with an extra 4 to place anywhere I want. Plus I chose human race so I get +2 in any of my abilities.
So there are two ways I can see to do this.
1) 22 STR, 16 CON, 18 DEX, 13 INT, 16 WIS, 11 CHA. With these scores, I can have a 17 AC in hide armor (10+3+4) and only suffer the -1 check penalty.
2) change to 17 CON, 16 DEX, 17 WIS and use my two feats for scale proficiency and still have a 17 AC (10+7 with no ability modifiers) with a -1 speed penalty

Which way would be best? Or am I going about this the entire wrong way.
There's really nothing we can tell you. You will be fine in whichever you choose, because your stats are hyperinflated to all hell.
Ya I know my stats are way high, but thats the luck of the dice. Everyone in my party has insane stats. Our lvl 1 wizard has a 22 int, 20 wis and nothing less than a 15 in everything else... go figure that one out. But our DM just adjusts the encounters for our party. So ya, please don't shoot me just because of the stats I get

That wasn't my intention in the least. :3

Basically it boils down to either going for Scale if you're bumping Wisdom, or Hide if you're bumping Dexterity.  With DEX and CON that high, yuo'll qualify for your favorite 19-20 critrange feat anyway, so...
Fair enough, I know I can qualify for just about any feat I want, so that's not an issue. But what you said adds another question for me. The Ranger guide doesn't explain what the difference is between boosting Wisdom or boosting Dexterity. Whats the difference?
Fair enough, I know I can qualify for just about any feat I want, so that's not an issue. But what you said adds another question for me. The Ranger guide doesn't explain what the difference is between boosting Wisdom or boosting Dexterity. Whats the difference?

Wisdom is the main stat used on most of the riders contained in your powers - meanwhile Dexterity is best used for qualifying for blade-focused feats and increasing your AC in Hide armor.
Ah, makes sense. So just a hypothetical then, at level 11 I could have a base of 23 AC (15 base +3 armor +5 ability) with boosted Dex, or a 22 AC (15 base +7 armor) boosting Wis. This is of course assuming no magical items or bonuses to AC from anything... At level 21 its 30 AC (20 base +3 armor +7 ability) boosting Dex or 27 (20 base +7 armor) boosting Wis assuming no bonuses to AC or magical items

It just seems to me that staying in light armor and boosting dex is way better for your AC (of course I havent given much thought to magical items or boosts I would get)
Base your choice of stats on the Paragon Path you want to take, as some favor certain secondary stats.
Stormwarden, Blade Dancer and Shock Trooper need DEX, and each of them could be beneficial to you. Pit Fighter the former main reason to go WIS secondary is of no use to you anymore.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

Base your choice of stats on the Paragon Path you want to take, as some favor certain secondary stats.
Stormwarden, Blade Dancer and Shock Trooper need DEX, and each of them could be beneficial to you. Pit Fighter the former main reason to go WIS secondary is of no use to you anymore.

But utility powers do, as do multiple hybrid combinations and the Son of Mercy paragon path if you hybridize a defender. Pit Fighter stopped being relevant when Son of Mercy became a super easy way to reliably trigger the Murderblender Combo.

On topic, it all comes down to this: do you want to use Light or Heavy Blades (you can use something else but with those stats those are your best picks)? If Light, go DEX. If Heavy, go WIS and hybridize. Hell, I'd recommend hybridizing anyways, but it's particularly profitable for heavybladers.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Well I was probably going to go with either adroit explorer or Stormwarden (havent decided yet which one I like more) and I was going to try to build with heavy blades (bastard sword of course) As for hybridizing, I dont have the foggiest clue about doing that, and I am not sure that our DM would even allow it. For now I am stuck with a single class and basic book material.

Again, my original question was, with the character that I can create (with superinflated stats) should I go with dual bastard swords and heavy armor? Or some other weapon and light armor?
Stormwardens should use light blades. They work much better with the DEX focus.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).