Who might have resources enough in the Shadowfell to oppose the Raven Queen?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm planning an adventure in which the players would assist a remote Shadar-Kai outpost in rooting out some rebels hiding in the wilderness. I was thinking they might be servants of Nerull, Orcus or Vecna, though I expect only the former makes any sense to have had some sizable force in the Shadowfell to begin with. Any thoughts?
I'm planning an adventure in which the players would assist a remote Shadar-Kai outpost in rooting out some rebels hiding in the wilderness. I was thinking they might be servants of Nerull, Orcus or Vecna, though I expect only the former makes any sense to have had some sizable force in the Shadowfell to begin with. Any thoughts?

I'd vote for either Orcus or Vecna. There's obvious bad blood between Orcus and the Raven Queen, but I think I'd go with Vecna. Vecna's obsession with secrets and the Raven Queens secret name can make things interesting. But none of these choices is wrong. Just go with what you think fits your campaign best - don't over think it.
Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to use Nerull's remaining supporters. I've got some things going on in that realm already. Of course, that makes things a bit more complicated by involving more of the pantheon (I'm already using Vecna, Asmodeus and The Raven Queen). Maybe I will use Vecna.
Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to use Nerull's remaining supporters. I've got some things going on in that realm already. Of course, that makes things a bit more complicated by involving more of the pantheon (I'm already using Vecna, Asmodeus and The Raven Queen). Maybe I will use Vecna.

The Raven Queen supposedly killed Nerull, didn't she? Or someone did and she took his place? I'm thinking he might have somehow survived and gone into hiding.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

depending on the scope and narrative of the game, if you use Nerull (who is dead), you could make it so some of his "god essence" was scattered when he was killed, and this cult is tracking down the fragments.  Maybe they already found one, and the leader of the cult is part-god....he gets the ability where, when he's reduced to a certain HP amount, he disappears.....great recurring enemy/group.

additionally, you could level down (if appropriate) the blind immortals from MM3 (can't remember their name....something like forsaken maybe?  they have bandages over their eyes are are mid-upper epic tier normally) and use them as members of the cult who have tasted part of the godhood and been corrupted (its the flavor behind those particular monsters anyways)
Why does it have to be just one enemy?

Perhaps it is Nerull's last cultists, supported by worshippers of Vecna who summon demons dedicated to Orcus because they KNOW they have a similar goal; deposing the Raven Queen from Letherna. 
Rebels in the forest? Are you perchance a sith lord?
Yes, I do regret my Forum Name...Tech N9ne is clearly the best rapper of all time. I am currently looking to get in on a Real Adventures PbP game. PM me if you are looking for another PC.
Rebels in the forest? Are you perchance a sith lord?

Actually, I'm doing a parallel of Pan's Labyrinth if you've seen that. The PCs are evil and kind of owe their continued existence to the Raven Queen so they're going to be doing her bidding for a while. If you have seen Pan's Labyrinth, the PCs will be working with the Captain of the Shadar-Kai (not Spanish fascist) to kill the rebels. Their true goal is really to complete a set of tasks for the nearby gatekeeper to return to the natural plane. They're going to be playing the roles of Ophelia and Captain Vidal at the same time. It should be fun. I just need some sort of freedom fighter force living in the woods for them to crush. I hope to put their goals of doing the Raven Queen's bidding and returning to the natural plane for revenge in conflict. I suspect that they'll choose to ignore the Raven Queen, but it wouldn't be the first time my players surprised me if they chose otherwise.

Sign In to post comments