APNAP order

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please tell me if this is the correct way to resolve APNAP order:

If it's my turn and I attack with a Goblin Arsonist and you block with a Doomed Traveler, Goblin Arsonist's ability goes on the stack first and waits to resolve, then Doomed Traveler's ability goes on the stack and waits to resolve. If nothing else is played, the Spirit token enters the battlefield, and then I can choose to have Goblin Arsonist deal 1 damage to it & kill it.

If it's YOUR turn and you attack with the Doomed Traveler and I block with Goblin Arsonist, Doomed Traveler's ability goes on the stack and then Goblin Arsonist's on top. Goblin Arsonist resolves 1st and the Spirit token hasn't entered the battlefield yet so it can't be targeted. The Arsonist will deal 1 damage to something, then the Spirit token enters.

Based on this from the FAQ:
Q: What happens when more than one triggered ability triggers at the same time?
A: If more than one triggered ability triggers at the same time, any of those abilities controlled by the active player go onto the stack, then the abilities controlled by each other player go on the stack, in turn order. Each player chooses the order that his or her abilities go on the stack relative to each other. (Remember, Last-In, First-Out. The last ability put onto the stack is the first to resolve.) Then, they all wait to resolve.

Thanks!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

If it's my turn and I attack with a Goblin Arsonist and you block with a Doomed Traveler, Goblin Arsonist's ability goes on the stack first and waits to resolve, then Doomed Traveler's ability goes on the stack and waits to resolve. If nothing else is played, the Spirit token enters the battlefield, and then I can choose to have Goblin Arsonist deal 1 damage to it & kill it.

That won't work. At the time you put goblin arsonist's ability on the stack, you must select a target. At that time, the token does not yet exist, so it cannot be chosen as the target.

Other than the fact that targets are chosen up front, you have the order of things correct.

If it's YOUR turn and you attack with the Doomed Traveler and I block with Goblin Arsonist, Doomed Traveler's ability goes on the stack and then Goblin Arsonist's on top. Goblin Arsonist resolves 1st and the Spirit token hasn't entered the battlefield yet so it can't be targeted. The Arsonist will deal 1 damage to something, then the Spirit token enters.

Correct. As with the previous case, you choose goblin arsonist's target when the ability is put on the stack, not when the ability resolves.

That is incorrect. You have to choose targets when the ability is put on the stack. At that time the Spirit token does not exist. You have to choose another target for the ability. If there are no legal targets for the ability, the ability does not get put on the stack, and it never resolves.

That is correct.
Thanks to all!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

Note that while the target is chosen when the ability is put on the stack the amount or effect is sometimes up for debate. It can get changed between when it is announced and targetted and when it resolves.

One example would be with a murderous redcap coming back from persist, and while the come into play ability is still on the stack a power conduit is used to remove the -1/-1 counter from persist to add a +1/+1 counter instead. The result would be 3 damage from the cap instead of one though the target would have to be announced when it was originally added to the stack.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments