Monsters you love to hate or at least threaten bodily harm on the DM for.

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've noticed since I have been DMing over the past 6 or 7 years that I had grewing selection of monsters that players just despised. Partly because when I run a game I like to theme the monsters around it so generally it has lot of monsters of the same type, like for example dragons or undead.
Though sometimes it is templates I use. I know for a fact I am banned from ever using Half-Farspawn Force Dragons again, I really do mean never allowed to use them again because my group will murder me if they see a hint of a draconic farspawn creature.

So I am putting out there what kinds of monsters have you used or fought against that you would love never to see again. It could be for multiple of reasons. For the half-farspawn force dragons it was because I threw somewhere around thirty of them at the party (hey it was an epic game and the group was around 35th level) and I one shotted two Iron Colossi with one of them.

Behold the DM has entered.
In 3.5 Rust Monsters, they were brutal.

In 4e, those spectral wights, not sure of their actual name, but they have resist insubstantial and their basic attack weakens (SE).  Dealing only 1/4 of your normal damage makes a fight really slog on, ya know?
Well, there is also a notable dislike of creatures that deal 2+ damage types within the group. They don't bother me that much since the Wizard doesn't usually stay standing long enough to register that.

Myself? Anything with a personal name. Because Yeenoghu knows, if he's got a name and gets described it's gonna either kick seven shades of spit out of us or come back and bite us in the arse later on. Extra points if they do both.

Failing that, things that drop the Wizard to dying and don't finish the damn job! I CAN'T KILL YOU IF I'M NOT DEAD!
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

In 4e, those spectral wights, not sure of their actual name, but they have resist insubstantial and their basic attack weakens (SE).  Dealing only 1/4 of your normal damage makes a fight really slog on, ya know?

Lol, I was going to list the same monster (wraiths). Weakening seems to be my players' least favourite condition. Stunning and dazing would be too, but they have learned to take powers, items, and feats that can prevent them. Weakening is harder to prevent.
Monsters with auras.
Monsters with auras.

Honestly as a DM i'd say this. I love the idea, but even though i use maptool and have a BIG visual indicator of an aura, i'd say 95% of the time I just forget about them.

Also anything with a high init and can immobilize with a ranged attack typically annoys players. ( I had a human archer use an attack that was even called "arrow to the knee" :P)

As does anything that pushes and prones against a character that doesn't have a good charge or ranged attack.
That wraith who has an aura that dazes is pretty nasty as well.  I had that monster in a cave, where the party came down a natural waterslide and landed in the cave.  Travelling down the waterslide triggered the cave to be filled up by freezing water (auto cold damage), so they had to flee the area, but had to somehow get past the dazing aura...  

Fun times... 
Pre-nerf Needlefang Drake swarms.

Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane has these things called Stirge Suckerling Swarms, I'm not sure if they were in the game before. But their aura gives creatures who end their square in the aura ongoing 5, or increases by 5 if their already taking ongoing damag. You get a character between a few of these things, and he's looking at ongoing 20+ damage pretty fast.

Also, minions with reach and can slide, are absolutely brutal. You have the swarm the defender, and the non-defender you want to kill, and just drag them apart. And of course, if one tries to run to the other, they end up provoking OA's from all those minions...and get dragged more. Might I add the only char i've seen die in 4e was due to minions?   
Most "anti-fun" abilities involve removing the PC's ability to play.  

Chain stun?  Not fun...I might as well go make a sandwich or play Angry Birds on my phone.

Chain daze on my defender?  Sweet, I guess I can't be a defender this combat.

Chain immobilize on the melee striker?  Ok, guess I'll just throw my 1d4 non-stat dagger all game.

Notice a trend?  A round of an effect is cool...but when something lasts for most of the encounter, it ceases being fun and becomes anti-fun. 
Phasms.

"You see a phasm.  It jiggles at you." is easily one of my favorite things to troll my players with, after having read an article about doing just that.
Most "anti-fun" abilities involve removing the PC's ability to play.  

Chain stun?  Not fun...I might as well go make a sandwich or play Angry Birds on my phone.

Chain immobilize on the melee striker?  Ok, guess I'll just throw my 1d4 non-stat dagger all game.

Notice a trend?  A round of an effect is cool...but when something lasts for most of the encounter, it ceases being fun and becomes anti-fun. 

I'm of the mind that you always want to challenge players to think on their feet and get creative, not completely remove their options, so I am in total agreement with you!
I got my powergaming PCs deathly afraid of any Homonculus after that one time it redirected the Barbarian's swing to the Ranger and killed him outright! Dragons? No sweat from them. Little ugly flying constructs? Their eyes widen and everyone is on tenterhooks.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

My players hated the Elite Animated Statues from Into The Shadowhaunt, as they can Knock Prone at-will, and have a ability that let them make a free attack against Prone enemy at the end of their turn, and another letting them immediatly attack a Prone enemy that attemp to stand, and on a hit, stay Prone and ends his turn. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

My players have once gotten their a$$es handed to them by a Beholder, and they still haven't gotten over it. So naturally, I'm releasing an Eye Tyrant on them later this week ^^ 

They're also deathly afraid of anything that drains healing surges. Damage, sure, they'll take it, but if I touch their healing surges (especially with at-will attacks) they start sweating. 

Pretty much this. Also Bodaks. Mostly for Death Gaze. "Cool, glad I invested resources into improving my hit points, I'm just gonna lie here and try not to bleed out until the leader gets a chance to- nevermind he's dying too."

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
My players have once gotten their a$$es handed to them by a Beholder, and they still haven't gotten over it. So naturally, I'm releasing an Eye Tyrant on them later this week ^^ 

They're also deathly afraid of anything that drains healing surges. Damage, sure, they'll take it, but if I touch their healing surges (especially with at-will attacks) they start sweating. 

I just wish some of the 4th ed detractors understood the terror that is healing surge drain. o.O
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
My players threaten me with bodily harm whenever I mention, of all things to  be scared of, Berbalangs...I threw one at them when they were a tad low level, it was quite the challenging fight, and since then whenever I mention them they glare at me.
We were in a hidden city underground when we realized close by there was a Sorcerer performing a ritual, attempting to bring something horrible to this world. Now, instead of rushin to the place where they thought the ritual was being performed (and they were right), they decided to talk about it for sometime, visit a friend and fail a skill challenged. For each of these failurs I added a minion to the coming boss battles, with the ninth minioin being a ridiculously high level. Now the idea of these minons was not to deal damage, but to bait the party into wasting attacks on the minions instead of the sorcerer.

They were legion devils, with a +2 to AC for each other legion devil adjacent to it, and one of them was five levels higher than us. It was amazing how many times they totally ignored the objective (distrubting the ritual) or the BBEG trying to clear out the phalanx of minions partially blocking their path xD

If they ever see a phalanx again, they'll just not attack it (or be smart enough to use auto-hits).

This is pretty intersting to me, since my group is usually incredibly smart and clever... Except when it comes to phalanx warriors xD

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Berbalangs, Bodaks, Wraiths and anything that stuns early and often.
Berbalangs, Bodaks, Wraiths and anything that stuns early and often.

Berbealangs, Bodaks, and Beholders: Buh-bye!
My son's Warlord got engulfed - and every status effect in the game for added frustration - by a chocolate pudding.  He was only able to sit around and watch for the next few rounds.  Not a plan for fun.

Now he reacts strongly when somebody mentions pudding, slime, ooze, ...

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

I'm not allowed to make any more kobold dens.
I have a visceral hatred for anything with normal (or near normal) hitpoints for its level and the insubstantial trait, ESPECIALLY if there's no way to negate insubstantial. In "Madness at Gardmore Abbey" for example, there are "Vortex Wraiths" whose insubstantial trait CANNOT be negated with radiant damage the way other creatures can. When half the monsters in a combat have what amounts to double hitpoints, it can very easily result in a TPK.

Considering this is actually worse in post-essentials products, I have very little sympathy for what I consider an intolerable mistake on the part of the designers. 
Insubstantial Enemies that also Weaken (there's 69 of them. 69!!)

Enemies with Templates that raise their defenses more than 2 above standard.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Regarding the wraiths, aren't many insubstantial creatures that are vulnerable to force damage?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
only relatively recently.  It used to take a feat for Force damage to bypass Insubstantial, but as of MV or MM3 or so, many insubs have been getting printed with a trait that Force damage will do full damage or even negate their insubstantial quality for a round.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 4e rust monster. Given that most 4e builds are very dependant on magic items to work correctly, a rust monster can mess up a character very quickly. My players know this all to well having sprung one on them back at level 7. Even now that they are in high paragon tier, they give rust monsters a wide berth. This is a group that charges suicidally at pretty much anything. Last time they met a dragon it was 8 levels higher than the group and one of the guys teleported on top of the dragon's head. But they refused to enter a building they knew had a rust monster in it. That is pure fear.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 4e rust monster.

I once afflicted a PC with wererustmonsterism. Waaaay scarier than lycanthropy.

"They say the curse turns you into a horrible beast under the light of the moon!"

"Yah, whatever."

"...and as this beast you will eat all your armor!"

"Save me mommy!"
My players have an unnatural hatred of flameskulls of any type.  I tend to use open area combat, so high speed flying creatures ith long range flame attacks results in angry players who are constantly on fire. 
For the last 15 years of DMing, my players get so pissed whenever an ooze or slime hits the battlemat, any ooze or slime. They are pretty smart gamers but whenever even a Gelatinous Cube enters the fray they always just run, thinking that they have no way to kill it. No matter how many times they encounter oozes or find out how to kill them ... they still just wig out. I love it.

Hence, in my homebrew settings I love to create places called the Slime Rift or Ooze Grotto. Those are essentially places my players hope so much that they'll never have to go to (but they typically do!).
For a prior DM it was gorillions. Dude had a group of them that were hacking away with some big, nasty weapons and the leader was a shaman or something wielding a rod that would fully heal all of the baddies. Yeah, no gorillions anymore.
For my group?  Anything with battleaxes.  I tend to crit 1-8 times an encounter.  Not even fake crits, i let the PCs look over my board after i raise my hands less than a second after i see the 20 pop up to prove to them im not fibbing.  Everytime i put a monster with a battleaxe in, they burn all dailies.  Even on a mere lv1 kobold.  Also they punch me.
Frost Hounds alongside any other monster with controller type powers. Apparently locking down the party for four or fice rounds isn't very popular. No, I didn't design that encounter. We stumbled across it in an LFR module.
Girallons. Any kind of girallon. I ran the Going Ape adventure module for my group, and the Mummy Girallon at the end TPKed them. One player in particular likes to bring it up whenever he thinks I might have them fight something even moderately challenging. He even made me promise that I would have them fight it when they were stonger. And I shall...
Sup Girllion hating buddy! Rally on Thursday? Tongue Out
No one has mentioned the sillit nerra, my poor ninja killed in two rounds because no one knew that every time they dealt tamage to the bastard it dealt damage to me and I was removed from play save ends... then for good measure after I was dead it made me appear up in the sky and land on a spike... I hate nerra's with a passion...

Also I made a very lurker centric encounter that I eventually just had to say all the lurkers had disappeared as it was dragging on too long... so I'm somewhat weary of lurkers working together...  
Kobolds. I had an encounter where a kobold den had to be cleared, and so the Dragonborn ranger decided that the best thing to do would be to run through all the rooms to get the Plot Coupon. They got there, but getting back was nearly a TPK.
Kobolds. I had an encounter where a kobold den had to be cleared, and so the Dragonborn ranger decided that the best thing to do would be to run through all the rooms to get the Plot Coupon. They got there, but getting back was nearly a TPK.

Haha, that's awesome. I've had some awful (amazing!) encounters with kobolds myself. The sadistic DM I ran with in my 3e stint some time ago threw a slew of kobolds at us, all equiped with low-level wands of magic missle. We weren't too worried, until round after round the little guys added up that damage; it got real nasty real fast!

Haha, that's awesome. I've had some awful (amazing!) encounters with kobolds myself. The sadistic DM I ran with in my 3e stint some time ago threw a slew of kobolds at us, all equiped with low-level wands of magic missle. We weren't too worried, until round after round the little guys added up that damage; it got real nasty real fast!

I copied out the Kobold article ("Shifty Little Buggers" IIRC) from Dragon Annual 2009 and am going to work over the Kobold Hall scenario with the new ideas.  Yeah, your L1 selves took out all the Kobolds, but somebody else has moved back in to the ancestral turf.  And they learned from the dead guys' experience...

It should be an L5 deathtrap, and prep work for the Troglodyte lair I want to throw somebody into later on.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

I copied out the Kobold article ("Shifty Little Buggers" IIRC) from Dragon Annual 2009 and am going to work over the Kobold Hall scenario with the new ideas.  Yeah, your L1 selves took out all the Kobolds, but somebody else has moved back in to the ancestral turf.  And they learned from the dead guys' experience...

It should be an L5 deathtrap, and prep work for the Troglodyte lair I want to throw somebody into later on.

I remember changing Kobold Hall at Level 1.  Biggest change was in the room with the boulder, I took out the dudes in the center ring.  I replaced them with a White Dragon Wyrmling.  After the fight, and me mentioning to the slightly worried players that they killed the baby, my brother said, "Wait, baby?  Well ****.  Guys, we're going to fight a ****ing dragon."  God it was so fun.  As level 1 characters watching them worry about fighting a "real" dragon at level one was near priceless.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]