Another Angels 20 question: Bounce

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Bounce- Whenever you win Initiative while this aircraft is in Diving status, it attacks before enemy aircraft during the Attack phase this turn" 

In function it let's you overrule the normal attack turn sequence (since, when you win Init your opponent attacks first). The question is, does your aircraft have to begin the turn in Diving status, i.e. when you roll your initiative? Or does it have to enter Diving status on the turn in which you won the initiative? 

The wording would make me believe that it is the former, however an understanding of the term 'Bounce' and turn sequence makes me believe it is the latter. 

A bounce is a surprise attack, generally from above and behind an unsuspecting enemy. The interpretation that the plane enters diving status on the turn it wins initiative at least has the 'attack from above' part down. The interpretation that has the aircraft starting in a dive potentially puts the attacker on level or lower altitude than the plane being attacked (it also might mean that you have previously attacked and now you're coming back around) 

I think that the rules as intended (RAI) are for the aircraft to enter a dive in the turn in which it has won initiative. However I admit that the rules as written (RAW) would indicate that the plane must be in a dive prior to initiative being rolled. Could someone clarify this for me?
Is it possible that the inclusion/omission of a comma is to blame?

"Bounce- Whenever you win Initiative while this aircraft is in Diving status, it attacks before enemy aircraft during the Attack phase this turn"

vs

"Bounce- Whenever you win Initiative, while this aircraft is in Diving status, it attacks before enemy aircraft during the Attack phase this turn" 
Asbestos, I've been waiting my self for an official answer on this but I'll share my interpretation.

Yes, the comma changes the chronology of that statement. As it reads you must be in a nose down status prior to the initiative roll. IE already diving.   A special marker would be nice to keep track in big games.  

I justify the rule in my mind due to the fact you do not have to engage from a negative attitude to execute a bounce. I typicaly executed bounces from high elevation and dove bellow the target and engaged with a nose up Belly shot in sims.  (very effective against Buffs) This is an according to Shaw manuever. It is very similar to a boom and Zoom. But where a boom and zoom is the E-Fighters answer to a Turning Dog Fight, a Bounce is an initiating attack from Altitude to catch an enemy unawaress. So this rule makes sense to me as it does not dictate how I engage the target, only that I drop in to do it sneaky like.  Hence resolving a bounce first after you dive.

IMHO GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
Sign In to post comments