Dragon 408: Bazaar of the Bizarre: Treasures of the Elemental Chaos

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 408
Bazaar of the Bizarre: Treasures of the Elemental Chaos
by Michael Haneline

The Elemental Chaos is a dangerous plane of uncontrolled primal forces and overwhelming madness. However, it is also a place of power–power great enough to tempt many spellcasters, despite the obvious danger.  Many arcanists have tried to bind this volatile power into permanent magic items, and those few who have succeeded have created truly wondrous (if somewhat unreliable) items that have become the stuff of legend.

Talk about this article here.

...and of the link to the pdf doesn't work... hah
Well, go check read my comic while I email them to fix it.

EDIT: Fixed now! 
1) The babau gauntlets scaling is meh... at level 30 3.120.000 extra gp for maybe 10 extra damage once per encounter compared to the level 10 version is laugh worty.
Oh and I like the property, yes it is a system patch of sort but giving some sort of choice between feat tax and items is still a choice.

2) Hailstorm ki focus makes my assassin cry: with such an horrible drawback property I would expect a lower level and a way better critical property/utility power.
As it is I think it would still be underpowered as a level 6/11/16/21/26 item without a critical property buff.
It is also expecially excruciating how the property scales with levels but the power do not... so with the level 28 version i can expect to deal 1d6 extra damage two rounds per encounter, but every time I roll a 1 I'm going to suffer 28 damage? Yeah, sure.
Not even bein a requisite for the 5 set pieces benefit is going to save this item.

3) Elemental Ward cloak is potentially owerpowered at epics.
Yes I know it is situational but if your epic campaign is based on the elemental chaos and/or your BBEG is a primordial a +5/+6 item bonus to all defenses against pretty much anything your character will meet plus the whole final battle is going to kill the mood of any impending doom, despair and destruction.
+1 per tier to all defenses would probably be a better choice.

4) Wand of fiery horde is strange: it seems specifically made as an option for those fire blasters that love to slap an arcane admixture (fire) on winged horde; being damage only it's strictly inferior to a staff of ruin anyway, so i don't think it's going to change much.
Nothing especially wrong about this item, just I would like a different (not damage only) property.

The other items are solid and the fluff was very nice and adventure inspiring, though I would like some sort of errata for 1) 2) and 3)
1) The babau gauntlets scaling is meh... at level 30 3.120.000 extra gp for maybe 10 extra damage once per encounter compared to the level 10 version is laugh worty.
Oh and I like the property, yes it is a system patch of sort but giving some sort of choice between feat tax and items is still a choice.

2) Hailstorm ki focus makes my assassin cry: with such an horrible drawback property I would expect a lower level and a way better critical property/utility power.
As it is I think it would still be underpowered as a level 6/11/16/21/26 item without a critical property buff.
It is also expecially excruciating how the property scales with levels but the power do not... so with the level 28 version i can expect to deal 1d6 extra damage two rounds per encounter, but every time I roll a 1 I'm going to suffer 28 damage? Yeah, sure.
Not even bein a requisite for the 5 set pieces benefit is going to save this item.

3) Elemental Ward cloak is potentially owerpowered at epics.
Yes I know it is situational but if your epic campaign is based on the elemental chaos and/or your BBEG is a primordial a +5/+6 item bonus to all defenses against pretty much anything your character will meet plus the whole final battle is going to kill the mood of any impending doom, despair and destruction.
+1 per tier to all defenses would probably be a better choice.

4) Wand of fiery horde is strange: it seems specifically made as an option for those fire blasters that love to slap an arcane admixture (fire) on winged horde; being damage only it's strictly inferior to a staff of ruin anyway, so i don't think it's going to change much.
Nothing especially wrong about this item, just I would like a different (not damage only) property.

The other items are solid and the fluff was very nice and adventure inspiring, though I would like some sort of errata for 1) 2) and 3)

Unfortunately there is probably no way that errata is coming. I shared your concerns on #1 and #2 (#2 especially) when I was informed of the changes that would be made right before publication. I can't tell you what the items were like before (due to the NDA), but a powerful property was removed from the ki focus, while the drawback that was supposed to balance it out was left on the item...