Accurate staff or Crystal Orb

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am building up an artificer/wizard, to see if I like it better than the Killswitch variant for the upcoming Dark Sun game. So I am trying to decide between the two superior implements. 

I am going to be taking mostly vs will, psychic powers on the wizard side so the crystal orb is really tempting. But on the other hand, Staff expertise is one of those feats that can totally make your build. Being able to cast winged horde/whatever wizard power in the middle of combat is almost too good to pass up. 

Is the staff expertise worth more than the +1 hit will/+2 damage for psychic powers? My knee jerk reaction is to say staff expertise, but I intend on taking the Enlarge Spell feat, so that +2 from the crystal orb will help even out my damage. 

Basically I can either have a 1d6+3 winged horde and provke, or a 1d6-1 winged horde but have it not provke an attack of opportunity. Which is better?
Staff Expertise and a Mindwarp Staff?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
It's not just the energized (psychic), it's the Undeniable that makes it compelling.

For someone like a Psion, crystal orb is strictly better than accurate staff (ignoring magic enchantments, anyway).
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Staff expertise is a lazy cheat. You should be able to avoid the attack of opportunity in most cases by clever positioning and maybe a move action shift 1.
Staff expertise is a lazy cheat. You should be able to avoid the attack of opportunity in most cases by clever positioning and maybe a move action shift 1.

Staff Expertise is the sort of thing that when you need it and don't have it, you really wish you did.

You can take the armor to not provoke instead, but then you're missing out on something else.

I'd still go for an Accurate implement, though. Hitting more is better than hitting less.

Staff Expertise is the sort of thing that when you need it and don't have it, you really wish you did.

You can take the armor to not provoke instead, but then you're missing out on something else.

I'd still go for an Accurate implement, though. Hitting more is better than hitting less.

But if he's only attacking Will, then Undeniable means exactly the same thing as Accurate.
If the other half is Artificer then Magic Weapon + Staff Expertise allows it to be used with a Melee 2 range, which is much more flexible (and safer) than doing so at Melee 1. It's likely that the character will pick up one or two other weapon-keyword powers or abilities from the artificer side at some point (unless the game never leaves low level), in which case the staff option is also preferable.

But if he's only attacking Will, then Undeniable means exactly the same thing as Accurate.

Quite true, but in Dark Sun he's never going to be able to not provoke on OAs. A bit of extra damage is nice, but not when you're getting hit for it. It's a bit of a toss-up.
You should take Staff Expertise by at least level 4. If you want to be completely opped with those options. Go with Staff Expertise at 1. Mindwarp Staff at level 2. Enlarge Spell at 4.