Conditions that end a grab

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey'all,

I've tried using the search but could not find anything to my specific question (and also found the search to be quite messy in general :P ).

We've had a discussion as of lately wether or not a daze effect ends a grab by a ghoul.

The PHB states, that if "you" (talking to the player) are dazed, the grab ends - and that to sustain a grab the player needs a minor action.

Our GM said that due to the fact, that a monster does not need a minor action to sustain the grab daze does not automatically end the grab - which to me makes no sense because even if I as a player was dazed I could use my partial action to spend a minor action and sustain the grab ... yet the rules clearly state that daze ends my grab. So should the ghoul's grab not be ended as well if one could impose the dazed condition on it?

Thanks for your answers.
Hey'all,

I've tried using the search but could not find anything to my specific question (and also found the search to be quite messy in general :P ).

We've had a discussion as of lately wether or not a daze effect ends a grab by a ghoul.

The PHB states, that if "you" (talking to the player) are dazed, the grab ends - and that to sustain a grab the player needs a minor action.

Our GM said that due to the fact, that a monster does not need a minor action to sustain the grab daze does not automatically end the grab - which to me makes no sense because even if I as a player was dazed I could use my partial action to spend a minor action and sustain the grab ... yet the rules clearly state that daze ends my grab. So should the ghoul's grab not be ended as well if one could impose the dazed condition on it?

Thanks for your answers.

From the compendium:

Effects that End a Grab: If you are affected by a condition that prevents you from taking opportunity actions (such as dazed, stunned, surprised, or unconscious), you immediately let go of a grabbed enemy. If you move away from the creature you’re grabbing, you let go and the grab ends. If a pull, a push, or a slide moves you or the creature you’re grabbing out of your reach, the grab ends.

"You applies equally to everyone: good guys, bad guys, monsters, etc.  The exception to this is if (and only if) something the character or monster has that says otherwise.  If the creatures doesn't have such a thing on an item or powerblock (and I do not know of anything that allows a dazed individual to continue holding a grab, but it might exist), the yes, Daze will break the grab.
The info is outdated.
The Grabbed Condition in the Rule Compendium says that this condition ends immediately on the creature if the grabber is subjected to an effect that prevents it from taking actions, or if the creature ends up outside the range of the grabbing power or effect. The RC FAQ confirms that you can still maintain a Grab whiled Dazed, because it doesn't prevent you from taking actions but rather limits your actions, while before it did prevent you from taking Opportunity Actions in the PHB.

RC 231 Grabbed: While a creature is grabbed, it is immobilized. Maintaining this condition on the creature occupies whatever appendage, object, or effect the grabber used to initiate the grab. This condition ends immediately on the creature if the grabber is subjected to an effect that prevents it from taking actions, or if the creature ends up outside the range of the grabbing power or effect.  

Rule Compendium FAQ    

1. Maintaining a grab or flanking require that you aren't under "an effect that prevents you from taking actions". What would count for this? This statement refers to effects that prevent you from taking any actions. Being stunned or dominated prevents you from taking actions, whereas being dazed does not. Being dazed limits the number of actions that you can take. Keep in mind that dazed specifically mentions you no longer flank, however.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

So "prevents it from taking actions" would mean stun but not dazed? After all, the dazed condition only reduces the number of actions one can take but does not prevent you from taking actions completely.
Exactly

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks mate
interesting, I had not seen this change.  Thanks for the info