UG Tron - seeking feedback and sideboard help

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey folks! I'm just looking for some feedback for my UG Tron deck. 

I'm looking to make this a true 75-card deck, so to speak, and I'm hatching a strange sideboard.
The synergy in the deck is fairly obvious, so I'll skip right to the list.

4 Urza's Tower
1 Eye of Ugin
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine
3 Tectonic Edge
4 Vivid Creek
3 Quicksand

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 It That Betrays
1 Wurmcoil Engine

3 Karn Liberated

4 Expedition Map
4 Not of This World
2 All Is Dust
4 Contagion Clasp
4 Tumble Magnet
4 Everflowing Chalice
2 Lux Cannon
2 Gifts Ungiven
1 Engineered Explosives
3 Tezzeret's Gambit
1 Ratchet Bomb

The board:
2 Sylvan Scrying
3 Vivid Grove
2 All Is Dust
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Increasing Confusion
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Simic Signet

The board seems a little clunky, so that's where you come in. Brutal feedback is appreciated, so long as it's constructive.

Spilling your latte on your Mox Ruby. First world problems. 

I'm actually working on a UG Tron deck myself and hadn't even considered the Eveflowing Chalice. Have you gotten any testing in with this?

I would think that the Lux Cannon would be way too slow since it needs a bit of time even with the Clasp to help out but I do like Tumble Magnet in here since fast aggro really does make it hard to win.

One thing that has been awesome in the board is Chalice of the Void. It stops Bolts, Paths and a bunch of other annoying cards and will eat a shatter before some of your more important stuff. Also since you are in color, and have a high artifact count, why aren't you using Academy Ruins?
Those Lux Cannons are a leftover from a completely colorless version of the deck that ran Surge Nodes. I wasn't running the Academy Ruins because I didn't own it, but I did manage to pick one up. Chalice of the Void actually seems pretty decent to me, but as you'll see, I didn't maindeck it. 

After a lot of playtesting (it's the only deck I've been working on), I've altered this a bit since my last post:

4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
1 Ghost Quarter
3 Breeding Pool
1 Eye of Ugin
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Island
1 Forest 
1 Vivid Creek
1 Academy Ruins

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
2 Wurmcoil Engine

3 Karn Liberated

3 Expedition Map
1 All Is Dust
4 Tumble Magnet
1 Contagion Engine
4 Everflowing Chalice
3 Gifts Ungiven
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Rite of Replication
3 Tezzeret's Gambit
3 Explore
3 Spell Snare

The board:
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Increasing Confusion
3 Simic Signet
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Autumn's Veil
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Flashfreeze

The Explores and the third Gifts both have really sped up the deck! I like the Rite for Merfolk...I don't know why, but I've seen a lot of people playing this still. The Contagion Engine has helped me get an early-ish blow out against Affinity a good number of times. 

But, I'm very unsure still about Increasing Confusion. I really like slamming it down, but I think in 30 or so games played, I've only cast it twice (both times in the same game). What t odo about that thing, I really don't know.

Rites of Replication is a SAVAGE beating. I love the card in tron. I've been playing the deck since punishing fire was banned and several notes have to be made
1) Tolaria west is your friend. It finds tron pieces, eye of ugin, explosives and tormods crypt.
2) 4 explores. Period :D
3) This deck has no way of winning vs Splinter twin. Really.
4) Add 1 overgrown tomb main to make explosives castable for 3 without the help of proliferates and add surgical extractions side vs melira and storm and UW tron
5) Creeping corrosion is a MUST HAVE AT LEAST 3 IN SIDEBOARD vs affinity. explosive or bomb or contagio engine might not be enough. Run 25+ lands
1. Could be good, but I'm looking into upping my Sylvan Scrying count instead. To me, 2 mana (with less of a color obligation) beats 3. 
2. I ran a list with four Explore and found myself not wanting that last one more times than not. 
3. Yeah, that seems to be my worst match up. 
4. I'll look into adding somethign else, but I really don't want to hurt the mana base any more than it is. Plus, that's the exact reason the Creek is in there. I'm actually looking into Mindbreak Traps for Storm. Extraction doesn't seem like the right choice to me. 
5. Looking into those, actually. :D I get flooded way too easily with more than 24 lands. 

7 Forest
    4  Island
    3  Breeding Pool
    4  Misty Rainforest
    1  Eye of Ugin
    1  Tolaria West
    2  Urza's Mine
    2  Urza's Power Plant
    2  Urza's Tower
    1  Overgrown Tomb

// Creatures
    1  Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4  Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1  Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    4  Primeval Titan
    4  Solemn Simulacrum
    4  Coiling Oracle
    1  Wurmcoil Engine
    3  Obstinate Baloth

Spells
    4  Explore
    3  Summoning Trap
    1  Engineered Explosives
    3  Kodama's Reach

Sideboard
SB: 2  Engineered Explosives - creatures i ngeneral.(plant for 3 saves you from twin)
SB: 3  Trickbind - storm(gives you a turn vs twin)
SB: 3  Thrun, the Last Troll - control
SB: 3  Creeping Corrosion - affinity
SB: 2  Relic of Progenitus - storm/melira pod/aggro loam
SB: 2  Surgical Extraction - storm/melira pod/control/aggro loam

ancient stirrings and sylvan scrying were in my mono green tron...i would also run ulamog, the infinite gyre over it that betrays mainly because the next thing after u set up tron should be to get the eye up and running...with they eye out and ulamog in hand, he is able to be cast more realistically...You need to side in some form of counters...if they use land destruction on you then you might start crying :[  but also you might want a copy or two of quicksilver amulet as a backup plan in the mainboard or sideboard...they are moderns show and tell
There's usually very few land destruction cards I really care about and they're usually in match ups I find to be favorable. One funny story with that though: I tried experimenting with Pact of Negation and oddly enough, on my first experience with it, I got Ghost Quartered and summarily lost the game. Me and my opponent got some lols out of that one. 

The meta's definitely shifted in my area, and I've started using a Rune Snag/Remand mix (I know, "Rune Snag? Seriously? Why the !@#$ aren't you just using Remand?!") that I've found to work quite well. I'm in the process of making Voidslime do some work post-board too.

As for the amulet: I find that the deck's threats are consistent on 'on-cuve' enough that I don't need to cast any of my spaghetti monsters, they're mostly in there for fun. 

Why aren't you playing;

Mindslaver?
Condescend?
need actual counter spells somewhere in the 75..Whats the point of playing blue without taking its benefits...not all spells opponents play target the big guys...i also think u dont have enough land fetches. since titan and the 2 scryings are ur only land fetches.  How many turns does it take to assemble the tron with this build?

i run GR and use the map, scrying, and stirrings...usually assemble by turn 3-4. 
* Mindslaver is silly in this build. During play testing, whenever I had a soft lock down it was already overkill. Big dudes were already jamming sideways for a win. 
* Condescend was mediorcre for my local meta. 
* As stated, I'm using a Remand and Rune Snag combination as countermagic. Spell Snare was in the newest build, but again, mediocre for my local meta during 80% of the games (sided out). Oddly enough, Voidslime is doing some big work for me right now. 
*Tron isn't necessary to be online  for the deck to perform well and there's definitely some variance. I'm usually on a T4 or T5 Tron.

*I totally forgot about Poland here: going to try out some Rewinds  and see how they work out.