Frog in a Blender

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

version 2

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hortex, level 6
Human, Psion/Wizard
Unseelie Agent Starting Feature Option: Quarterstaff
Discipline Focus (Hybrid) Option: Telekinesis Focus (Hybrid)
Hybrid Talent Option: Expanded Discipline Focus
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Elfharrow (Elfharrow Benefit)
Theme: Unseelie Agent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 13, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 15, DEX 13, INT 17, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Ref: 20 Will: 17
HP: 47 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Athletics +9, History +13, Nature +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +6, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Religion +8, Stealth +4, Streetwise +2, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Unseelie Agent Utility: Create Shadow-Wrought Weapon
Psion Feature: Far Hand
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Psion Feature: Forceful Push
Warlock Attack 1: Shadow Warp
Psion Attack 1: Force Punch
Wizard Attack 1: Storm Pillar
Psion Attack 1: Living Missile
Psion Utility 2: Telekinetic Lift
Wizard Attack 3: Hypnotic Pattern
Psion Attack 3: Psychic Anomaly
Wizard Attack 5: Visions of Avarice
Wizard Utility 6: Glowering Wrath

FEATS
Level 1: Tome Expertise
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Discipline Adept
Level 4: Controlling Advantage
Level 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Shadowdance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Magic Tomb+2 x1
Amulet of Protection +1 x1
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier) x1
Demonskin Tattoo (heroic tier) x1
Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might (level 3)
Bracers of Enforced Regret x1
Magic Quarterstaff +2 x1
====== End ======

The basis of this build is to utalse the wizard's at will power "storm pillar", by using the free action wording of "forceful push"

Forceful push, allows us on an enemy's turn to slide them 1 sq, this coupled with ( we can use this twice an encounter)
Tome expertise conjurations grant CA
Controlling Advantage  +1 sq to forced movement with CA
With glowering wrath, +2 to forced movement till end of next turn

So storm pillar will cause 1d6+9 lightning damage for every square the enemy moves in to on their turn
With forceful push being free action, we wait until its the enemies turn, and then slide them 5 squares automatically dealing 1d6+9 per square. Total = 4d6 +36 Lightning damage, no hit roll required!

Once forceful push has been used up we start to rely on our other powers to slide/push and force the enemy in to the blender, using such powers as psychic anomoly, and hypnotic pattern.

All this by level 6, and with your help I think we could make it better...

edited: removed orb expertise and superior impliment, added tome expertise and controlling Advantage (less damage but legal)

Just as I thought someone char opped a Bullywug.
I did! Check my sig for two optimized bullywug builds :D

This is an interesting way of still taking advantage of Storm Pillar abuse post-errata. I'm guessing you grabbed Shadow Warp through Corellon's Boon?

Another way of doing this would be through opportunity attacks/immediate actions. A polearm gamble build with a controlling weapon could do it, although they would have to make it more likely for enemies to attack. A half elf knight with storm pillar as a dilettante and WLMR and polearm gamble could do a pretty neat job of it - if they hit you, your allies, run or shift, they get smacked and thrown through the pillar. This would all be mid-paragon, of course. You could even combine this with Lightning Fury for a double-whammy.

Orb Expertise and Petrified Orb won't work. Forceful Push isn't an attack, and it doesn't have the Implement keyword. You're down two squares of movement. Glowering Wrath works, though only 1/enc.
Orb Expertise and Petrified Orb won't work. Forceful Push isn't an attack, and it doesn't have the Implement keyword. You're down two squares of movement. Glowering Wrath works, though only 1/enc.

Thanks for that.... right back to the drawing board....

right HoEC has Tome Expertise which states

In addition, enemies adjacent to your conjurations or summonedcreatures grant combat advantage. An enemy that is immune to fear isimmune to this effect.

This coupled with 'Controlling Advantage' should work, wich grants +1 forced movement when Psion has CA would work as Storm Pillar is a conjuration. The CA would also be granted for Team Player.

You could always split it into 2 characters to maximize damage. 1 player plays an Invoker focusing on damage and player 2 plays a Psion that stacks forced movement. The Psion can take Fey Beast Tamer: Owlbear. In combat the Psion sends the bear next to the enemy and uses Psychic Anomaly. With Orb Expertise, Controlling Advantage, and Orb of Forceful Magic it is a slide 6. The Genasi Invoker then places the Pillar over the Owlbears square. Or the other way around (The Owlbear isn't an enemy so can move under the pillar without taking damage) The Pillar damage is +4 INT, +4 STR, +2 from Staff +2, +1 from Mage Shard, +2 from OwlBear aura. Enemy starts it's turn and gets slid for 6D6 + 90 damage. Not bad for level 6 and 2 At Wills.
Oh hey there. That's an interesting take on my Lazy Blender build from a while back. The max damage I've come up with is 132.

You can see the build here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Oh hey there. That's an interesting take on my Lazy Blender build from a while back. The max damage I've come up with is 132.

you built one already.... bugger...

Found the build you you built (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)

very cool... I like how you've used the owlbear to grant CA and to provide damage aura, and that you have used Genasi to add the STR bonus on to the damage roll...

I wonder if I can combine the two builds some how...

I plan to try out the 2 player version of this for the Tyrantclaw Lair Assault. Does Promise of Storm add to the Storm Pillar's damage? I'm not sure if Storm Pillar counts as an attack. Also is there a restriction on the size of the creature you slide?
I plan to try out the 2 player version of this for the Tyrantclaw Lair Assault. Does Promise of Storm add to the Storm Pillar's damage? I'm not sure if Storm Pillar counts as an attack. Also is there a restriction on the size of the creature you slide?

It is an attack power. The problem is that Promise of Storm requires you to hit, and you don't.

Don't try to maximize the Storm Pillar damage. Maximize the slide from Psychic Anomaly. I tried the 2 man combo in the first Lair Assault and it worked pretty well and that was at level 5. With this one, you can slide so much more with Petrified + Forceful + Orb Expertise.

Also, if the owlbear is a liability, go with the Scholar theme and abuse Use Vulnerability to pump Storm Pillar damage instead. You actually get more damage at the measly cost of CA.

No idea why you pick Invoker though. They don't even get Storm Pillar, wizards do. 
Use Vulnerability only works vs 1 monster per encounter. Probably once for both encounters if they rob us of a short rest again. If use Petrified Orb + Forceful and drop the bear instead of a +2 Accurate or Crystal Orb I'll be at a total of -4 to hit. Maybe -2 if another source of ranged CA is used. If the Psychic Anomaly misses it could mean both players wasted an action. By Invoker I meant the Mage's Apprentice ability and Mages can take Storm Pillar.
So far I'm thinking this
Player 1 is Genasi Mage (Invoker) with 20 Int, 16 Str, Elermental Empowerment, a +2 staff, Siberys Shard of the Mage(Heroic), and depending on if we can exchange our 5th level choice for a 4th lvl item Gauntlets of Blood. dmg is +5 Int, +3 Str, +2 Staff, +1 Shard, +2 OwlBear aura. 1D6 + 13 reroll the first 1 each square.
Player 2 Psion or possibly Psion/X hybrid with 20 Int, Orb Expertise, Controlling Advantage, +2 Crystal Orb.

Assuming the bear and the Pillar are both adjacent to the enemy you use Psychic Anomaly at +13 vs Will for 1D6 + 9 then slide enemy 5 squares for 5D6 +65 damage reroll the first 1. Approximately 95 damage for 2 actions both At-Wills. It's a pity Avenger's Oath only works on Melee attacks or I'd drop the accuracy a bit to add 2 squares of movement.