Why has the visitor rate for the Star Wars boards decreased?

Yours truly is here almost every day!
there aren't any new books coming out, and the rules aren't very new; most of the important rules discussions have already been. also, maybe people are playing less Star Wars RPG.
I saw this post and wanted to toss in my two copper pennies

Don't think it's anything specific to Star Wars; but more generally it's the same reason why posting is down everywhere in the community.

- the board functionality is terribe. yeah. Most anybody who was here before, compared to now, is going to be very disappointed

- population growth is a self-perpetuating cycle. There are people who will visit a place, solely because other people are visiting it. And likewise, people will stop visiting, when they see other people stopped visiting. So because membership has been falling steadily (due to lack of functionality), the decrease itself just accelerates more people leaving. Which leads to others leaving, and and on.

- wizards isn't producing Star Wars products anymore, which makes it hard to attract new interest

- the regulars in this board may have gone on to play Old Republic

Those last two are no doubt contributing factors; but I think the first two are probably the main reason for the decline. Also:

- groups/personal pages. With the emphasis on those things, the broader forums are naturally being left by the wayside. Since if you find a group you like, you will no doubt increase your activity there, which will then decrease elsewhere

- beyond the population factors and functionality, the main reason for any decrease is always going to be content-generation. In a forum population like this, most people are here in a more or less passive sense. They come to view/read, maybe they reply to a few things, or start a few threads and participate that way. But the group that are the "pillars of the community", the ones who start guides and write FAQs, who always answer everyone's questions, who have been here long enough to point everyone to the correct discussions, been here long enough to know what's a "new" topic and what's just a repeat. The people who can actually keep making new content, that people will be interested in reading. Well, that group comprise a very tiny percentage of the population. But, they also generate the majority of the useful content on the forum; or else ennable it. When these forum leaders/veterans start to leave, it's inevitable that the quality of the board is going to noticiably decrease unless someone fills the void. In a healthy, growing forum, there usually is someone else who will step up. But in a forum with bad functionality and decreasing population, there's a very good chance those leaders just won't be replaced. And so the overall forum experience is going to be lessened, perpetuating even more losses. So maybe posting here is going down because some high profile veterans left this past year, or else have just decreased their activity.

Anyway, that was longer than expected. But maybe, hopefully, it helps answer some questions.


:ubm: :brm: :rgm: :gwm: :wbm: :urm: :bgm: :rwm: :gum:
Coalition Wargame - Defend Dominaria and her allies, or advance the Phyrexian Invasion. You will lead legendary armies to battle, gain control of magical planes, and win ultimate glory.

Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesCOre COliseum
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionD20 Modern
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
- the regulars in this board may have gone on to play Old Republic

Those last two are no doubt contributing factors; but I think the first two are probably the main reason for the decline. Also:

...
- beyond the population factors and functionality, the main reason for any decrease is always going to be content-generation. In a forum population like this, most people are here in a more or less passive sense. They come to view/read, maybe they reply to a few things, or start a few threads and participate that way. But the group that are the "pillars of the community", the ones who start guides and write FAQs, who always answer everyone's questions, who have been here long enough to point everyone to the correct discussions, been here long enough to know what's a "new" topic and what's just a repeat. The people who can actually keep making new content, that people will be interested in reading. Well, that group comprise a very tiny percentage of the population. But, they also generate the majority of the useful content on the forum; or else ennable it. When these forum leaders/veterans start to leave, it's inevitable that the quality of the board is going to noticiably decrease unless someone fills the void. In a healthy, growing forum, there usually is someone else who will step up. But in a forum with bad functionality and decreasing population, there's a very good chance those leaders just won't be replaced. And so the overall forum experience is going to be lessened, perpetuating even more losses. So maybe posting here is going down because some high profile veterans left this past year, or else have just decreased their activity.



On the first quoted bit:  That's an interesting thought.  Over on teh D20 forums it's quite the opposite, but then again they are still doing a podcast about a game that's been "dead" for 2 years now.  And they have a TOR guild, so there is some inevitable crossover.

On the second point, also part of it is us regulars sometimes have life intercede.  I was far to busy about a year ago to post much.  And this last fall I had to take a break.  Even had to give up my PbP game, which was a bit sad.

A lot has been done for this game, fan wise, and while new material comes out, the minds that choose to stay are those of us that really like the system, starwars, or even just the people.

Example:  Cyberdave.  Good guy, uses the saga ruleset for his home campaign that is not at all StarWars.  Since the system is now complete, he's come around a lot less, because his campaign is fleshed out and there's no new material to convert.

Pukunui still drops by now and then to play in our sandbox, even if he is "finished" with SAGA as a system.

Raul and I have been around forever, through board and rule changes, though I do miss RavingDork and many others from back in the day.

I have to say that after two years I'm really surprised and pleased that so many people still come here and post.  It makes me happy gettign to touch base with people.  Even when we rarely agree.  ;)

My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
I have to say that after two years I'm really surprised and pleased that so many people still come here and post.  It makes me happy gettign to touch base with people.  Even when we rarely agree.  ;)


I disagree!
*drives off fast*
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane
We don't know each other, but I know I come around a lot less because I'm not currently playing Saga. I've been dividing my time between D&D and The Old Republic.
I don't come through much these days for many reasons: nolonger running or playing in a saga game, life commitments, limited time, DMing D&D and I've stopped producing saga material. I stopped writing adventures for Star Wars and converting old adventures. I'm aware that people where drawn to the fact that new material could be found on my blogs, but now I just throw stuff into the mediafire account and say very little about it.

If I could change these facts, I'd be on the forum more.
I find it hard because I can't find Saga edition rulebooks for a reasonable price anywhere. It kind of sucks -- wanting to play Saga but not being able to. As such, with a lack of rulebooks, I find that I can't contribute much to any of these Star Wars threads. (Except the flavor-centric ones.)

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I find it hard because I can't find Saga edition rulebooks for a reasonable price anywhere. It kind of sucks -- wanting to play Saga but not being able to. As such, with a lack of rulebooks, I find that I can't contribute much to any of these Star Wars threads. (Except the flavor-centric ones.)



UGH!  That kills me!  That's just WRONG!  Saga Edition is perhaps the ONLY RPG I've ever played in my nearly 30 years of RPGing that actually makes me appreciate the game mechanics.  This gentleman should be able to acquire the necessary materials for a reasonable price so he can appreciate this game.

Buzzhorn1!  Please contact me via PM.  I may just sell you my books if it comes to it.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
I find it hard because I can't find Saga edition rulebooks for a reasonable price anywhere. It kind of sucks -- wanting to play Saga but not being able to. As such, with a lack of rulebooks, I find that I can't contribute much to any of these Star Wars threads. (Except the flavor-centric ones.)



I figured that this might kill the game, a lack of rule copies and huge prices. Amazon has the books for sale at $100 dollars US for new copies and about $85 dollars used. That's for a first print with no updated errata. It's rather sad, but I do believe that there are file share sites were you can still get a pdf copy if you search. In any case getting a copy of the rules should not be a problem anymore.... 
Anyone here know?

I'd agree that with no new content getting put out officially, the reasons to post go down. However - there's always new star wars related content outside of saga that people convert. The only saga game I've been running has only had two sessions in the last six months. I'm mulling taking some of the starship rules and de-tech'ing them to add to a new eclipse phase game I'm mulling over though. Basically taking out hyperdrives/shields, losing a lot of dex, and making weapons a lot more damaging to represent eclipse phase more hard-core scifi stance. ... I just love the simplicity of the saga edition starship rules.
"I figured that this might kill the game, a lack of rule copies and huge prices. Amazon has the books for sale at $100 dollars US for new copies and about $85 dollars used. That's for a first print with no updated errata. It's rather sad, but I do believe that there are file share sites were you can still get a pdf copy if you search. In any case getting a copy of the rules should not be a problem anymore...."


$100?! That's not a good recommendations to use amazon! My local game store still sells the books for their original pricing.


I have all the books and other materials such as the tiles ad quite a few minis. My friends played it for some time but everyone went elsewhere. The people at the game store are prtty much D&D fans so no help there. Personally, I love the Star Wars RPG. I still make characters for all the eras and think about adventures and love to play or GM. That explains why I come to these forums now and then just to see what's going on with the game and players.
Well, *I* just signed up a few days ago. That's one 'visitor' for you. =)

@Skytechfox

Does your game store still have the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide? Buy it and ship it to me please. =D
Real love is not based on feelings; it is a commitment of your will to the true good of the other person.
Decided to see if amazon is an isolated case so I checked Barnes & Noble online. They want $88 for the Saga core book. Are these people kidding?! Either they really have no plans to sell this product or imagine desparate players enthusiastically paying around 300% over value. Obviously this tactic isn't working since Star Wars RPG has ceased and these stores still have copies. On a similar note, I noticed The Compleat Strategist online, which also has a store in my area, is selling the corebook for $30.


As far as I see the published material for Star Wars is really complete from era source material to droids and vehicles. Only thing I would dream having for completeness would be a saga version of the alien sourcebook though, even there, the available books have a fair number to use. I hate to think people refuse to play because there's nothing new to buy. I think it's great Wizards still has these forums because it means there's a place for the best new materials - new ideas for campaigns, missions and individual encounters. The biggest complaint seems to be GMs getting stuck for a good scenario.
I haven't been here since 07 or 08 or so.  But after a couple of years of 4E, I am taking a break to go back to GMing Star Wars.

So yeah, I'm around again.  

 
Here I am, almost every day: I read but I do not write becouse of my bad english.
I play SAGA as a GM regularly.

LOVE YOU
The art of storytelling is reaching its end because the epic side of truth, wisdom, is dying out. Walter Benjamin My products: Healthtracker: keep track of your minions' hp/shield/conditions in SAGA edition (xls format) Carte dei poteri della Forza: Force Power Cards updated to RECG in italian DoD la traduzione della community: DoD italian translation project
I've lurked these forums for the better part of 11 years (officially in five more days, unofficially about 6 months earlier) and this certainly looks about as slow as it ever been. Unfortunately understandable now that Wizards support of the game is finally over.

For my own part, since the end of the SAGA run my lurking has dwindled immensely, prior I was here everyday, often multiple times a day, now it is closer to once a month. Without a stong core group and discussion I have little attraction any more, and I haven't played SAGA for about 3 years which has quelled my motivation. With SAGA now in the same boat as D6 I've generally drifted back to my roots; Saga is a great system, I'm up for playing if any of my friends were up for running a game, but D6 is where I started and is where I feel the most at home, especially if I'm going to run a game (which is typically the case).

The general quality of the forums (on the technical side) has also declined, as mentioned above, which has typically taken from the experience as well.

He who should not speak...
"I'm still here, El Guapo!"     ;)




(Sorry, went a little old school there.) 
People run away because of the Rancors!
People run away because of the Rancors!

 I'll take that as my cue!

And the Trogdor rancor comes in the night!

 
(click on the pic for more sizes)

On topic, I used to post regularly on the forums, but I drifted away when I stopped playing Saga about 7-8 months ago. I still lurk once or twice a week, and maybe post once or twice a month, but that's about it for me. I also recently stopped playing D&D 4e, so I have very little reason to come to the Wizards forums at all anymore. My Star Wars group is now playing Bulldogs! instead, and my D&D group just started a 1e campaign.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

I saw your picts on the mini thread Puk and they are certainly interesting.  That's not the rancor I've seen mentioned but more of those and the boards could see a bit more interest.
I'm still here..like i have somewhere better to be lol

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
I lurked for a while before I got on, and I plan to be here a while.  The company is good Smile.
Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I lurked for a while before I got on, and I plan to be here a while.  The company is good .


Agreed
I saw your picts on the mini thread Puk and they are certainly interesting.  That's not the rancor I've seen mentioned but more of those and the boards could see a bit more interest.

Which rancor were you referring to then, if not my one?
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

I saw your picts on the mini thread Puk and they are certainly interesting.  That's not the rancor I've seen mentioned but more of those and the boards could see a bit more interest.

Which rancor were you referring to then, if not my one?

The one(s) that goes around and crushes any new ideas.

Ah yes. That one. I know it well. It crushed a few of my ideas back in the day ...
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

Well it's nice to see some lurkers rise to the surface.  Welcome into the open.  Always nice to hear some new ideas. 
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
in a bit of bright news i have a shot of getting published,my short non-star wars story might be picked up for a collection. I currently have 2 to 3 months (need to look at deadline again) to finsh a rough draft

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
in a bit of bright news i have a shot of getting published,my short non-star wars story might be picked up for a collection. I currently have 2 to 3 months (need to look at deadline again) to finsh a rough draft



That's great! Congrats! 
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
in a bit of bright news i have a shot of getting published,my short non-star wars story might be picked up for a collection. I currently have 2 to 3 months (need to look at deadline again) to finsh a rough draft



That's great! Congrats! 



thanks

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Cool!  I'm taking a college level creative writing class, and I've written a story for it that I might publish eventually.  It needs quite a few revisions, though.
That's fantastic, TS.  Congratulations.  Is it a sci-fi / space fantasy story? 
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
That's fantastic, TS.  Congratulations.  Is it a sci-fi / space fantasy story? 



just fantasy,if you'd like a copy of what I have done so far,shoot me a PM with your emaill and i'll send it to you

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Congrats on getting published, trappedslider! That's quite an accomplishment.

Cool!  I'm taking a college level creative writing class, and I've written a story for it that I might publish eventually.  It needs quite a few revisions, though.

I minored in creative writing when I was at uni. These days, though, I'm all about photography.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

Yes: I too am guilty of this.
Congrats on getting published, trappedslider! That's quite an accomplishment.



I haven't gotten published yet,I sitll need to ifnsh the rough draft turn it in and see if they want to spend the time and effort of doing anything iwht it.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Sign In to post comments