Book of traps?

I realized I don't think I've ever seen an official 3e or 4e book dedicated to traps and hazards. In 4e the first DMG had a couple of pages of maybe 15 traps, and the DMG2 had a few more pages describing how to design traps and some additional samples, and that's about all I can think of other than specific traps in specific adventures.

Personally I'd like to see a little more space devoted to traps in the core DMG. Kind of a Monster Manual style section that lists a whole bunch of traps of different types in the way the Monster Manual lists monsters. Picking traps has always been a little harder for me than picking monsters for some reason and I think having a solid, large list of sample traps would help. And I figure if it's tricky for me to choose traps it's probably even harder for some newer DMs too.

Also it would be interesting if they had an official book of traps, similar to the old Grimtooth's Traps books from 2e. After all, in 4e for instance they have at least three books of monsters and three books of magic items, so why not have at least one book dedicated to traps and other hazards? At the very least it might make for interesting reading. Smile
For me, the best traps resource was the loose cards in the old Ruins of Undermountain boxed set. They made sense in context, were entertainingly flavourful, and didn't go on too long. Traps just aren't a major feature of any rationally-conceived world. It's good to know that they're there, in purposely designed deathtrap locales (think: ancient Egyptian tombs). But it's far more important to me to know about cities, merchants, religions, secret societies, and so on. And of course whatever culture it is that created what are now dungeon areas. That's information which can help design traps, but also treasure, macguffins, scenery, and so on.

Z.

They did have a book for 3.x. It was called the book of challanges or something like that. It had traps but they were complex puzzles that were more of an encounter then just a "oh, spear trap in a false door" kind of thing. Seemed like a precursor to the idea of traps as being encounters.

But yes, I think a book of traps is long overdue in the game :D
3.5 also had Dungeonscape to add a lot of traps.  Loved the encounter traps, still bring some into 4e.

not a bad idea to have a book dedicated to traps.  well, it would have be stuffed full to take up an entire book if you think about it.  

i think combining a large trap index in with some other things would be a much better idea.

There was a nice Warhammer 40K book named 'Xenology', which combined decent art, information on the 40K races, and a decent story into one book; that style might work well for the book of traps - blueprint drawings as wel as straight overhead map views, some story for each 'famous' trap, along with the unlucky participants, some nice artwork, lots of imagination, etc. Rather than a straight index of blast trap / flame trap / etc., I'd be hoping for some larger set-piece traps (thinking of the Indiana Jones movies, for instance, or the Proving Grounds from Thunderspire Labyrinth).
traps....and puzzles (and riddles)!! 
I think these two can be combined perfectly. I see over the books from 2nd edition and after to mention the puzzles that the dungeons must have but there isn't any accessory that can really help you. It is really pain to make a decent puzzle or riddle without being very childish or very absurb or very irrelevant with the stories... 

I highly aggree with the OP about traps. They are essential to me and always seem to be lacking support, but please WotC don't forget puzzles and riddles!!  
There's a thread out there on the forums with some well thought out traps and puzzles.  I'm not sure where it's disappeared to but I do seem to recall something about a 10x10x10 foot pit (easy to jump across rite?) but there's an invisible wall halfway across the pit that you "splat" into if you try to jump across.  Other goofy things like that.
traps....and puzzles (and riddles)!! 
I think these two can be combined perfectly. I see over the books from 2nd edition and after to mention the puzzles that the dungeons must have but there isn't any accessory that can really help you. It is really pain to make a decent puzzle or riddle without being very childish or very absurb or very irrelevant with the stories... 

I highly aggree with the OP about traps. They are essential to me and always seem to be lacking support, but please WotC don't forget puzzles and riddles!!  

I like the riddles idea - I could have done with some nice pre-canned / tweakable riddle ideas for the adventure I DMed most recently. I was thinking of providing some actual puzzles the players could solve out-of-game for extra special loot (in puzzle chests, or vaults, or that sort of thing).
Sign In to post comments