What defender would you play?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't decide in this group composition what defender to choose.
Shaman
Cosmic Sorcerer
Blackguard
 Cleric Zealot
 Ranged Ranger
I'd probably go Fighter.  But then, I always go Fighter.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
That's how i feel, but there's all these other defenders that exist but i just keep feeling meh, everytime i look over them.
I currently have  level 6 Storm Warpriest in a group with same level Barbarian, Cleric (templar) and Wizard.

We are new to DnD, and I'm thinking of swapping out my Warpriest for a Paladin.  I've compared the builds and the paladin yields better DEFs, DMG and Marking, and can still add back up Heals with Lay of Hands.

He is a dwarf, so his self heals are nice with Virtue and 2nd wind.

I see two really beefy melee character and two powerful ranged characters. I see three strikers and two leaders. I would go Polearm fighter (half orc, Goliath and Elf being my favorite races for such builds), or swordmage. 
The sorc and shaman would benefit greatly from the stickiness from a fighter.  However, if you need a leader, a charismatic paladin could defender and heal decently, and even full time heal at level 8. 

Overall however, i think fighter would be the best here.  Either sword/board (invigorating or one hand option) or knight, though knight is boring as hell. . .
Swordmage for mobility, using your melee as scapegoats, probably assault, or knight would be my choices, yes.  A dwarf warden focusing on burst 1 control could also suffice if he's got mobility utility powers.  Both the warden and the knight would work really well for locking things down.
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Thanks for all your input and I'm going to check out what knights about, I'm a little behind. (Different acount)

Try a battlemind.  Constitution primary means you can max durablity and to hit at the same time.  With Conductive defense you get a lvl1 at-will that targets reflex.  The powerpoint mechanic is wonderfully easy to use and gives you much more flexibility than encounter powers.  

Only downside is that all the reactive powers can slow down play.  If you want faster play, go with a knight.  It's a solid class, even if it is a little dull.

TjD

You don't have any party member with INT primary, go to Swordmage if your comrades have a good oportunity attacks. If not fighter is always a sure shot.

Battlemind looks interesting but it seems to me that the general consensus is that there is a period of time during heroic where you are just meh. Maybe I'm wrong. Swordmage is a maybe, I'm liking the solidity of a knight.
Battlemind looks interesting but it seems to me that the general consensus is that there is a period of time during heroic where you are just meh. Maybe I'm wrong. Swordmage is a maybe, I'm liking the solidity of a knight.

Battleminds do just fine during heroic.  But they're more mobile than other defenders (and swordmages too).  I'm looking at your group and thinking you should probably go with a Fighter or Warden.  You might also look into Mommy Was An Orc's hybrid Fighter-Battlemind.
I'll check out that build thanks, my feeling is similiar and i will revisist the battlemind.
There is no one in your group that has the INT primary and I feel that is important. Swordmage is a strong choice. I would also consider Battlemind due to no CON primary either but it is less needed in a group.

The need for marking many opponents is probably not nessesary to your group. If it is an issue you are worried about, try the Fighter/(invoker) multiclass.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Maybe I'm really underestimating the importantce of a INT primary, I was going to go Dragonborn/Kulkor Arms Master and try to abuse the pushing and proning etc.... You made me rethink the INT primary situation but I'll still linger on it. Is shielding swordmage able bodied to be a  primary defender?

The eladrin frost build the guide has up looks apealing, maybe I'll check out assualt. 
Maybe I'm really underestimating the importantce of a INT primary, I was going to go Dragonborn/Kulkor Arms Master and try to abuse the pushing and proning etc.... You made me rethink the INT primary situation but I'll still linger on it. Is shielding swordmage able bodied to be a  primary defender?

The eladrin frost build the guide has up looks apealing, maybe I'll check out assualt. 

INT primary just means rounding out your party with INT skills...Arcana, Religion, etc.  They're useful, but hardly necessary.  My group plays without an INT primary character.  Every now and then we wish we had someone better at the skill, but we get along fine without.

Swordmages are decent.  They don't optimize like Fighters, and they're not as tough as Wardens or Battleminds.  They don't have as many options as Paladins, to secondary leader or striker or mass mark.  The other problem is that their mark punishment only fires off when an ally is hit.  But they can be extremely fun to play.  There is some great multi-class synergy with Wizard.  Whenever we take a break from our campaign to play some kind of one off (DM can't be there or wants a week to play) my brother plays an Ensnaring Swordmage and ends up bugging the c*** out of DMs yanking monsters out of position.  Shielding Swordmage is supposed to be more effective, so will be just fine, even if it doesn't optimize the same as some of the others.

I played a battlemind as the only defender in a 6 pc party from 1-4 lvl.  He was awesome with one exception.  Daze was the absolute worst.  The battlemind relies on reactions and daze completely robs you of you ability to do anything.  Immobilize never hurt me that much but daze just sucked.

But I think it kinda sucks for any defender.  So if you can afford it, get a 15 wisdom and take the superior will feat so you can save at the beginning of your turn.

TjD 

Thanks everybody
Sign In to post comments