Runepriest's Mechanics Clarification for a DM

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Folks,

My group and I are D&D noobs but we love the benefits of DDI.  However, I've found that there is a lot of information and I have a hard time piecing it together.

Perhaps I can call upon your help:

Can anyone clarify Runepriest Mechanics?

I have a Runie in the party I am DMing and it seems he ALWAYS has effects and modifiers going on (which I understand is the role), but does he apply those effects even on a miss?  And also, when does he need to declare what rune state he is in?

I find that he is apply -3 penalty to Enemy Attacks ALL the Time (even on misses), and I want to know if we are running this right.

Gratefully,

PJstyle
When you are going to use a runic power, you first choose one of the runes noted in the power and then use the power, applying the chosen rune's effects.  The moment you choose the rune, you enter its rune state.  You remain in that rune state until you enter another rune state or until the end of the encounter.

That's the Runic keyword as found in the PHB 3, p.100.

In the Rules Compendium, we see this in the glossary:

runic [keyword]: An effect type.  A runic power channels the magic of runes that are specified in the power. Runic powers follow special rules given in Chapter 3.

To best understand runic powers however, you might want to see this entry (p.119 of the Rules Compendium):

Runic
A runic power channels the magic of runes that are specified in the power. Unless otherwise noted, using a runic power follows these rules.

Choose First: When a creature is going to use a runic power, it first chooses one of the runes in the power and then uses the power, applying the rune's effects at the time indicated in the power (after hitting with the power, for instance).

Rune State: The creature is then in the rune state associated with the chosen rune until it enters a new rune state or until the end of the encounter.

Look at the format of the power cards he is using: most runepriest powers have their runes indented.  According to p.92 of the Rules Compendium...

Indentation: When a power entry is indented, that entry is a subentry and is contingent on the entry above it.  For instance, an indented "Secondary Attack" subentry right below the primary attack's "Hit" entry is a reminder that the secondary attack occurs only if the primary attack hits.  Often, the text of an entry states when to proceed to a subentry.  For instace, the "Hit" entry that leads to a "Secondary Attack" subentry most likely instructs the player to make the secondary attack.

So, especially for the Runepriest at-wills, you must hit before the rune's effects take into effect.

It's an easy mistake to make, especially with how the Runepriest powers are formatted and all  
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Chaosfang,

You are remarkable!  Thank you for your assistance.  I think one thing that hinders us is that we don't have all the books, just PHB1, DMG, and MM1.

Sifting through all the content is fun, but sometimes troublesome.  Again, you are my Hero!

Originally, this is what confused me from the Compendium:

I'm so glad you clarified....yipee!

- PJstyle
One thing to clarify:

The Rune State switch (and benefit) occurs at the moment the choice of Destruction or Protection has been made, and occurs immediately regardless of whether the power subsequently results in a Hit, Miss, and/or Effect.

The specific riders listed for the power are, as explained above, dependent on the Hit/Miss. (It's conceivable that a power could have an un-indented Destruction/Protection rider as an Effect, and thus occur regardless, but I can't think of any that are arranged that way.)
One thing to clarify: The Rune State switch (and benefit) occurs at the moment the choice of Destruction or Protection has been made, and occurs immediately regardless of whether the power subsequently results in a Hit, Miss, and/or Effect. The specific riders listed for the power are, as explained above, dependent on the Hit/Miss. (It's conceivable that a power could have an un-indented Destruction/Protection rider as an Effect, and thus occur regardless, but I can't think of any that are arranged that way.)

Some of the dailies (Cage of Light, Rune of the Enduring Dawn) set up zones that sustain with a minor action. Those zones are created whether the attack hits or misses, but they're not really destruction/protection riders like the other ones in discussion in this thread.
  Yes, but those are established by an Effect: line, not a "Rune of..." line.
Also: The runestate-benefit only applies to the partymember(s) directly adjacent to the Runepriest.

I dont think he can be able to apply a -3 to attack all the time to everyone in the party.
Also: The runestate-benefit only applies to the partymember(s) directly adjacent to the Runepriest.

I dont think he can be able to apply a -3 to attack all the time to everyone in the party.

That does depend on what we're talking about; whereas the typical rune state benefits are party-beneficial, the Rune of Vengeance effectively makes you the beneficiary of the rune state itself (trigger: an ally hits an enemy adjacent to you, effect: you make a melee basic attack as an immediate reaction, and this rune state ends) and the Avenging Hammer encounter power from the same paragon path grants you the benefit of making a melee basic attack as an immediate reaction if you choose the Rune of Destruction as your Rune State.

Otherwise, yes it's typically ally-beneficial (and almost always adjacent-only, perfect for those tight formations ). 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging