Adding the keyword Thunder to powers without Arcane admixture

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok.  I wanted to create a Psion that can have the thunder key word added to all of its powers(or at least two at-wills).  Since its powersource is psionic does anyone have any ideas about how it could possibly be done?  I can't use Arcane Admixture and I can't find any weapons to do it.  If i am just blind could you please point me in the right direction?  Thanks.Embarassed
I don't have my books open (so I'm attempting the dangerous practice of posting from memory), but I think there's a ki focus that'll do it. Grab ki focus proficiency from MC Monk, MC Assassin, or that newfangled theme from HotEC that everyone's talking about, and that should do you.

Of course, since I'm posting from memory, I might be imagining all of this, so be sure to check for yourself.
I was thinking the same thing, but the only one I can find is Thunderfist and that is limited to melee attacks.
MC or Hybrid Swordmage and then PP Malec-Keth Janissary.  At 16th you add 1d4 cold, fire, thunder, or lightning damage to all your attacks, thus adding the keyword.

Another possibility would be to MC or Hybrid Artificer, grab Crossbow caster and a Thunderbolt Weapon.

VB
Use a bow as an implement and grab a Screaming Bow? Again, this is vague memories
The bow only adds the damage situationally, and in a fashion that will never apply to an area attack because area attacks don't permit cover from allies.
Thunderfist Ki Focus is what you're looking for.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Dragonborn, Thundering Breath, Rod of the Dragonborn
good find pete.  So dragonborn, or dead dragonborn, and rod proficiency and yer covered.  MC artificer, warlock, or invoker perhaps?
The bow only adds the damage situationally, and in a fashion that will never apply to an area attack because area attacks don't permit cover from allies.

Uh, I've got Screaming Bow reading the following:

"Property: When you use this weapon to hit an enemy with an attack power that doesn’t have a damage type, the attack deals thunder damage, and the enemy is deafened until the end of your next turn."

So A Ki focus as an implement for your psion, channeling attacks through the screaming bow should do it in most cases. doing thunder damage conveys the power the thunder keyword, although I don't know whether it would have the thunder keyword at the time of the attack roll to benefit from resounding thunder... Also don't know how many of your psion attacks already have a damage type.

Is any keyword beyond weapon/implement considered a damage type by the way? I.E. if a power is Implement, Psychic, and deals 1d4 damage, is that 1d4 psychic damage, or untyped damage? I ask only because sometimes powers state they deal [type] damage in addition to their having that keyword.

If the power has a keyword, it does that damage.  Replace the keyword, or remove it, it loses that type of damage.  Add a keyword it does that type in addition.

Uh, I've got Screaming Bow reading the following:

"Property: When you use this weapon to hit an enemy with an attack power that doesn’t have a damage type, the attack deals thunder damage, and the enemy is deafened until the end of your next turn."

So A Ki focus as an implement for your psion, channeling attacks through the screaming bow should do it in most cases. doing thunder damage conveys the power the thunder keyword, although I don't know whether it would have the thunder keyword at the time of the attack roll to benefit from resounding thunder... Also don't know how many of your psion attacks already have a damage type.

I meant the songbow, which works on typed powers, but is very iffy on AoE powers.
Screaming bow only converts damage once a power hits, meaning it is converted too late for Resounding Thunder and most other purposes.

You cannot use the ki focus and the screaming bow property on the same attack under any interpretation of ki focus rules. Its explicitelt prohibited.
I believe that the screaming bow would work for half of my at-wills.  i just need a way to add a slide to dishearten and i am golden.  if i could have added thunder to dishearten(can't with the bow because Dis has the psychic keyword) then i would have been platinum(for 2 points an area burst two that dazes, slows, prones and give a -7 to attacks)  if i can add a slide then it will be an area burst 1.  Any ideas on how to add a slide to my power?  keep in mind i will be going the flail route(Net) with net training and turning slides to prones with that other flail feat.
Is your race set in stone? Go gnome, take Unseen Dread, and learn how to hide.
good find pete.  So dragonborn, or dead dragonborn, and rod proficiency and yer covered.  MC artificer, warlock, or invoker perhaps?

Primordial Adept theme gives Rod Prof.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I believe that the screaming bow would work for half of my at-wills.  i just need a way to add a slide to dishearten and i am golden.  if i could have added thunder to dishearten(can't with the bow because Dis has the psychic keyword) then i would have been platinum(for 2 points an area burst two that dazes, slows, prones and give a -7 to attacks)  if i can add a slide then it will be an area burst 1.  Any ideas on how to add a slide to my power?  keep in mind i will be going the flail route(Net) with net training and turning slides to prones with that other flail feat.

Mark of Storm + Lightning Weapon. However, Flail Expertise doesn't work on ranged attacks or implement attacks. Melee weapon only.
Is your race set in stone? Go gnome, take Unseen Dread, and learn how to hide.

it sorta is.  I wanted either the tiefling Imperious majesty feat for controller goodness and init based on Charisma or Deva to base init on Wisdom and get that additional +2.  Additionally, the penalty to hit on Dishearten for the augmented version is based on Charisma so i was kinda of wanting to go Tiefling.  If you have a better option to combine penalties and high init then I am all ears.  

Dragonborn, Thundering Breath, Rod of the Dragonborn

Good idea but i need/want  to be able to use a net to give all of my powers the ability to slow.
Bit of a different direction, but have you considered bolas? Take the bola training feat. At your discretion, your attack won't do any damage, but it will gain immobilize till the end of your next turn. You'd just need to get implement prof in bola.
hmmm... interesting.  Maybe, but i need to do some damage.  if the power creates a zone and the zone does damage at the point of striking the target and damage as a zone at the start of there turn does the bola feat remove all damage done by the zone power?
Iirc, just the damage from the hit. Any ongoing or zone damage stays.
Then, besides net training is there a way to put slow on all of the powers i would use?  So, let's open this up... i want to stack as many status effects on my at will powers as possible.  Leaning to psion but not married to it.  I just like the idea that i can reuse a power multiple times in an encounter if it is a good one.  I open the floor for any ideas on status effect stacking.

Bueller???  
Check out invoker, always nice to add a -2 to attack on the main target, which stacks with a mark/aura penalty.  So it is -2 to attack the defender, -4 to attack anyone else and the defender gets to attack the target in that instance.
Sign In to post comments