Spellskite and targeting

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

I’m just trying to figure out some details about how targeting works.   Here is the scenerio: 

I have two spellskite one equipped with a livewire lash on the battlefield.

I cast tragic slip targeting the equipped spellskite.   He then responds with negate.

I know that the livewire lash effect is “when becomes a  target”, so the spellskite will do two damage to target player or creature.  My question is that while the negate is on the stack, can I use the other spellskite and change the target of tragic slip? -and then back again (with the first spellskite assuming I can pay the mana)?

even if some one casts a negate to counter the tragic slip, the equipped creature has still become the target of a spell as soon as its cast
as soon as you cast tragic slip you choose a target, and the ability will trigger on livewire lash
infact, the ability will trigger and go on the stack and resolve before the tragic slip even resolves!

casting negate to counter the tragic slip will not save the player from the trigger ability of livewirelash

as for the second part of your question
you can change the target as negate tries to resolve, then you'll have to allow that ability to resolve, then respond again when negate tries to resolve once again with the other spellskite to change the target again
I know that the livewire lash effect is “when becomes a  target”, so the spellskite will do two damage to target player or creature.  My question is that while the negate is on the stack, can I use the other spellskite and change the target of tragic slip? -and then back again (with the first spellskite assuming I can pay the mana)?

Yes, you can do that, and Livewire will trigger each time you bring the target of Tragic Slip back on that Spellskite.

@ the OP:When the target changes, then changes back, Livewire Lash will trigger a second time. I looked for the rule - I'm pretty sure there is one - and failed to find it (surprising how rare it is for the CR to actually use the wordings that appear on the cards it's explaining ) but it's common sense really, if the target changes from X to Y, Y just became the target. (Even if was earlier.)

even if some one casts a negate to counter the tragic slip, the equipped creature has still become the target of a spell as soon as its cast
as soon as you cast tragic slip you choose a target, and the ability will trigger on livewire lash
infact, the ability will trigger and go on the stack and resolve before the tragic slip even resolves!

casting negate to counter the tragic slip will not save the player from the trigger ability of livewirelash

as for the second part of your question
you can change the target as negate tries to resolve, then you'll have to allow that ability to resolve, then respond again when negate tries to resolve once again with the other spellskite to change the target again

None of this addresses anything the OP actually asked. He explicitly said he already knew the first half, and I'm not sure what you're trying to address with the second.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thanks folks, that helps

First off I was not sure that a target can be changed while another spell is above it on the stack, sounds like it can.

Then just did not now if there was something else that prevents the same spell from activiting livewire lash's ability more than once.  Sounds like it will trigger again.
Thanks folks, that helps

First off I was not sure that a target can be changed while another spell is above it on the stack, sounds like it can.

Of course it can.

The top object (spell or ability) on the stack is just the one that will resolve first. Other objects on the stack don't stop being spells or abilities just because there's something else on top; spells and abilities can be redirected, countered, exiled and copied regardless of being the top one or not.

Then just did not now if there was something else that prevents the same spell from activiting livewire lash's ability more than once.  Sounds like it will trigger again.

Yes. "Becoming a target of a spell" means being chosen as the target when (1) the spell is being cast, or when (2) the target is changed/re-chosen by some effect.

[<o>]