Color Wheel Whine: Why is Green no longer Life?

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Way, way, way (...) way back when I started playing Magic, I really liked green. I eventually would learn to play other colors, but back in the day, give me a Wyluli Wolf, and I was happier than anything. One of the reasons I really liked Green back in the day was a simple card called Stream of Life. While White was all about preventing damage, with Samite Healer's and Healing Salve, you could count on Green for real solid Life Gain strategies. Elvish Farmer did so much during it's day...

... and I realize they went and changed the color wheel a bit, but I still thought that Green was suppose to represent Nature and the Life Force, and that green was suppose to care about life gain. It seems that White has taken its place, and that green cares less about life gain than Black does, and that is weird, because Black shouldn't have been about life gain at all, and yet it seems obsessed with it over the last few sets.

Am I alone in this? I know Lifegain isn't a winning stratagem, but does anyone else feel green is getting pushed out of the space it should have had?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Wat.

Green and white are both about gaining life :/
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Yeah, there are ten green cards that gain life, as opposed to twenty white cards, which is totally fine in my opinion. Also, black's life gain is always vampiric in nature, maiking your oponent lose life as you gain more. Black has been doing it since Alpha, too.
whatcolor_isred.jpg
Can you really say that anymore?

Out of approx. 82 cards that let you gain life in the Standard environment...

21 has white
20 had black
10 has green
the rest being artifacts, and mutlicolored black cards, or Gather errors picking up Phyrexian Mana.

Clearly, White and Black are more about gaining life in various ways than Green is... so why is Green, the color of life, has less methods of gaining it?

Also, White *didn't* use to be about gaining life. That shift happened noticeably first during the Weatherlight expansion (Between Gerrard's Wisdom and Revered Unicorn), and ever since then, has tilted more heavily towards white.

The point is, if you want to play life gain, Green isn't the color you go to anymore, and I'd rather play green than white when doing the whole "Gain a bunch of life" thing. Preferably without having dumped enough creatures into the graveyard to qualify as "Already Losing".
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

Also, White *didn't* use to be about gaining life.

Healing Salve

ಠ_ಠ
Can you really say that anymore?

Out of approx. 82 cards that let you gain life in the Standard environment...

21 has white
20 had black
10 has green
the rest being artifacts, and mutlicolored black cards, or Gather errors picking up Phyrexian Mana.

Clearly, White and Black are more about gaining life in various ways than Green is... so why is Green, the color of life, has less methods of gaining it?

If you look at Alpha, white has four ways of gaining life (albeit one of them is hitting your own dude with swords), green has two ways of gaining life.
Black can steal life.
Green can make its own life.
White can do both.

So green doesn't get lifelink, which is a hit to its lifegain share.  Additionally, I believe lifegain is and always was primary in white, secondary in green.
Black can steal life.
White can do both.

Since when can white steal life?
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Maybe there's something, I don't know, unnatural about artificially inflating your life total? I can see why green would want some lifegain, but green is about the natural order and the circle of life and so on. Green embraces death in this manner, so extending your life by any unnatural means would not make sense all the time.

Why shouldn't black have lifegain? Where it does, it's almost exclusively vampiric, which makes perfect sense to me.
Black can steal life.
White can do both.

Since Lifelink started appearing in White.

Also, to the OP, Alabaster Potion says hi.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Honestly, there's a reduced amount of :G: lifegain for a reason- if a :G: deck can gum up the game well enough, there's a high chance of establishing control. While this isn't a problem initially, it could result in :G: being way too strong. Since Stream of Life, :G: cards have had access to permanent removal outside of Desert Twister, creatures have become significantly more complex and methods of bolstering them are enumerous.

For simple comparison, consider Obstinate Baloth and Ravenous Baloth versus Lone Missionary and Dedicated Martyr. Effectively the Baloths are just bigger versions of these :W: weenies, but are a major benchmark in measuring how good a large creature card is. Whilst the Missionary and Martyr, while certainly playable, lose value based on Lifelink and healspells being widely available.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Maybe there's something, I don't know, unnatural about artificially inflating your life total? 

When green does get life gain, it's usually flavored as you gaining vitality through natural means (Like bathing in a stream or eating).

D'oh. You're right. I was thinking about actual life drain effects.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I think stealing life is a bit rough to call it. I see it more as god rewarding his faithful and crusading zealot, or something of that nature.
Not that it's what the name would suggest, but it's how I've always visualized it.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I think stealing life is a bit rough to call it. I see it more as god rewarding his faithful and crusading zealot, or something of that nature.
Not that it's what the name would suggest, but it's how I've always visualized it.

If you are refering to Lifelink, I don't know how you can see it that way, since the creature itself gains no benefit from the ability.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

It's not like Vampires come and deliver the beating hearts of your opponents for your consumption on the doorstep either.

Yxoque wrote:

It's not like Vampires come and deliver the beating hearts of your opponents for your consumption on the doorstep either.

My vampires do, should I get them checked by a psy?
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it

If you are refering to Lifelink, I don't know how you can see it that way, since the creature itself gains no benefit from the ability.

I always thought of Lifelink as related to Rhox War Monk or Baneslayer Angel as the minion's applied power paying you for the damage dealt to another creature, not in a vampiric way but in the "you are my god, I live to embody your strength" sort of way. While Vampires are feeding their lord. It just kind of adds to the flavor of being a "White Mage" or "Black Mage" from either perspective.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.

Yxoque wrote:

Rhox War Monk just pancakes the opposition, and if games have told us anything, it's that pancaking = inevitable win.

Fixed. Mmmmm pancakes. Though I've always imagined Rhox War Monk as kind of the Belgian Waffle Machine that when supported applies enough pressure to ruin your opponents.

Hey here's a funny joke. What's the difference between green and white?

Show
There isn't one!

Show
There isn't one!

I think you forgot the joke. Or was the blatant inaccuracy supposed to be the funny part?

Actually, there is a difference, and it's about three or four letters.

Not sure if I can say that was funny or not, but at least it was clever. I'll give you points for that, if nothing else.

Not sure if I can say that was funny or not, but at least it was clever. I'll give you points for that, if nothing else.

I'll be here all weekend... and probably a lot longer after that, too.

*sigh*
Hey here's a funny joke. What's the difference between any arbitrary combination of colors?

Show
There isn't one!

Fixed, colors are part of the game for conditioning, not for identity, the identity is assumed by the players.
IMO, green is about life, as in living things, not life as in lifegain.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13

Show
There isn't one!

I think you forgot the joke. Or was the blatant inaccuracy supposed to be the funny part?

Its quite funny I think.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Show
There isn't one!

Its quite funny I think.

You and your thinking, where has it gotten you?

Well green did get Nourish which is one of the best life gain spells. Splash a little white mana, heroes' reunion and you get the best.

I do miss stream of life though.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Black can steal life.
White can do both.

Alabaster Potion still just a Super Healing Salve. More about Preventing Death (and saving a creature) than it is about life gain. At least, from my point of view.
Black can steal life.
White can do both.

Alabaster Potion still just a Super Healing Salve. More about Preventing Death (and saving a creature) than it is about life gain. At least, from my point of view.

I recommend altering your point of view.

Well green did get Nourish which is one of the best life gain spells. Splash a little white mana, heroes' reunion and you get the best.

Nah, take away the green and you get an extra 1 life!
blah blah metal lyrics

I do miss stream of life though.

The best life gain spell is obviously Kitchen Finks.

Nah, take away the green and you get an extra 1 life!

Also, Sunspring Expedition.

I recommend altering your point of view.

I think we both know that's not happening. Particularly since the words "Prevent damage to creature" are written on both.

Although, I suppose we can talk about what Life Points means in Magic, in reflection of Icatian Moneychanger though. Although I think it only helps my case that White really hadn't meant to be in the Life Gain game.

Why is Money in Life, and Taxes in Mana? One pays Taxes with ethereal energy, but if you get loose change, your life force gets stronger? Are all Planeswalkers like starving wastrals? Does this means if you win by Test of Endurance, you basically paid your opponent to go away? There are weird implications here.
Although, I suppose we can talk about what Life Points means in Magic, in reflection of Icatian Moneychanger though. Although I think it only helps my case that White really hadn't meant to be in the Life Gain game.

Why is Money in Life, and Taxes in Mana? One pays Taxes with ethereal energy, but if you get loose change, your life force gets stronger? Are all Planeswalkers like starving wastrals? Does this means if you win by Test of Endurance, you basically paid your opponent to go away? There are weird implications here.

Now you're just trying to mix fluff with crunch in some of the worst possible ways.

And, no, Test of Endurance obviously means you beat your opponent in a hot dog eating contest.

I never really thought of this before, but it's a really good point.

White is supposed to be about "order, protection, light, and law," while Green is about "strength, ferocity, and life."

Prevention effects make sense in White, but direct healing doesn't seem like it should be. It feels to me like White is the biggest healer only because Wizards themselves have fallen for the "White Magic = Good Guys" "Black Magic = Bad Guys" misconception that they always are talking about fighting.

If you read the pages they have for the colors on the website:
www.wizards.com/MagiC/Multiverse/colors....
www.wizards.com/MagiC/Multiverse/colors....
The one for White keeps talking about healing magic, but it never justifies it. Meanwhile, the Green page talks about regenerating creatures and life and growth and all sorts of things that can also be represented through life gain.

When I think of life gain, I think of clerics and such, and when I think of clerics, I think of White mana, but it's a stereotype that doesn't actually fit the color philosophies. The color of nature and growth should definitely have a much stronger life gain presence.
I think people are conflating the ideas of "life" as in living things and "life" as in the abstract notion of life points too much.
Damage prevention and life gain: White is a protector first; it has many cards that prevent damage to itself and/or its creatures (healing). In addition, White places great emphasis on the continuity of life, and endurance. It can restore life to a player, allowing that player to shake off the attacks of the opponent. To contrast, whereas Green life gain cards always have life gain as the main effect, there are White cards whose principal effect is not life gain but have that as an added bonus, making White the best choice for keeping up a life total while fighting off the opponent. Note the keyword ability lifelink, primary in White. Examples: Healing Salve, Angel of Salvation, Ancestor's Chosen, Reverse Damage.

From mtgsalvation.

Show
There isn't one!

Its quite funny I think.

You and your thinking, where has it gotten you?

I am thinking you need to light`en up.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

I am thinking you need to light`en up.

Well, I did put on a lot of weight after I got out of the service...