White Weenie

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
These threads get made here all the time, but they're always awful lists. White weenie is a strategy that needs to disrupt the opponent because it is not going to be the fastest aggro deck in a legacy tournament. Most WW pilots ignore that fact and try to play all white creatures that are good in the red zone, but end up getting outclassed by a Knight. 

So here's your one-stop for a WW deck with a strategy that actually works.

12 Plains
3 Horizon Canopy
4 Wasteland
2 Rishadan Port

4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Batterskull

4 Mother of Runes
4 Stoneforge Mystic
3 Grand Abolisher
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Serra Avenger
4 Mirran Crusader
3 Aven Mindcensor
3 Mentor of the Meek

Sideboard
2 Path to Exile
2 Leonin Relic-Warder
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Manriki-Gusari
3 Leyline of Sanctity

The creatures in white weenie are not going to be most impressive because of their red zone capabilities. Once on the battlefield, they serve to disrupt the opponent, or provide first strike or evasive damage. Here's a breakdown of the creature base.

Mother of Runes is your anti removal. It is to white weenie what Wirewood Symbiote is to elves. If it loes summong sickness, it beats Swords, Path, Bolt, Chain, Vindicate, Helix, etc., etc.

Stoneforge Mystic is just a bomb of a creature at 2 mana. I find myself grabbing Jitte as often as I get the 'skull. Most of the creatures work well with equipment so Jitte can be better there. Also, if there is a creature bigger than 4/4 and you don't have a Mom, you have to get Jitte. Anyways, post-board, she gets Sword of Fire and Ice and Sword of Feast and Famine. The Sword of FaF is really bood against any Knight deck on Thalia. They usually can't attack you at that point.

Grand Abolisher and Thalia are pieces of disruption. They both protect your creatures and serve to divert spot removal from them. With these out and a mom, your opponent is going to be hard pressed to clear the board without a sweeper. Thalia is also great at holding a Jitte.

Serra Avenger is just awesome with Jitte and Vial. If you don't have Vial, play her turn four, she's just as strong then. Awesome with equipment.

Aven Mindcensor aims to keep the opponent from finding the mana they need. Without fetchlands, a lot of legacy manabases are crippled. It also takes out stuff like GSZ, Stoneforge, etc. 

Mirran Crusader is this deck's Knight of the Reliquary. Except it trumps the Knight. And Tarmogoyf, Mongoose, and Ooze. Awesome with equipment.

Mentor of the Meek is a new card to the maindeck. Excluding Avenger, every creature has 2 power or less. It's a solid cantrip engine. I want to play a fourth, but don't want to drop anything at the moment. It was maindeck artifact and enchantment hate, but this will be good in every match up compared to LRW. 

This list is much better than v1.0, trust me. Mystic needed to be played and a lot of the creatures I had were already needing their fourths added.

Why use a white weenie variant? Because it has an excellent tempo and Maverick matchup. It also splits games with combo and aggro decks with a decent number of creatures. 

Straight aggro can give this deck troubles, especially ones with a strong late game, like goblins. Bring in Path for Arbiter during those matches. Thalia isn't great against aggro either, but since she has first strike, keep her in. She beats a Piledriver until they play a lord, for example.

Give it a try. Annoy your opponent. Win with bears.
Hrmm. While I like the idea I'm unsure of the viability of such a deck to solidly stick the bits it wants in such a format as this, if other decks come out of the gate better. I would say that Spectral procession is at least needed in the SB
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
I played it a bit more and ran into some decks that didn't search their libraries, which made me want to change some numbers and add a few things.

Out: -1 Grand Abolisher, -1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, -1 Icatian Javelineers, -1 Mother of Runes, -1 Leonin Arbiter, -1 Aven Mindcensor
In: +4 Stoneforge Mystic, +1 Batterskull, +1 Plains

Stoneforge Mystic has to be in there. It's the most powerful white creature and despite its problem with Arbiter, you play it. So I added 4 of those and a Batterskull.

I was finding that without Vial, I was getting stuck with one Plains more than I wanted. I'd probably be happier up around 14 or 15, but I can't run that many lands overall. 
Tried it out some more. The mana denial strategy is awesome when you're on the play. On the draw, it kinda sucks. Against any deck with Vial, it kinda sucks. When you're trying to come from behind, it kinda sucks. I decided to change out the Arbiters and Ghost Quarters. The deck feels much better now. The power of the average card is much higher now.