Open Licenses Limitations?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the success of Pathfinder I was looking at making a full scale 4th Edition sytle game around a movie universe (I won't go into the movie to avoid discussion about that instead).

My question is what is the limitation of the open license if I wanted to print and "sell" copies (to cover printing & shipping costs)? Obvioulsy something as simply as carbon-copies of classes and feats isn't what I was thinking, but the rules, "power" ability layout, and keywords make so much sense to me I'd like to use those without pissing off WoTC.

Any guidance would be appreciated. 
The only valid guidance you will receive here is to consult an actual attorney. This does not mean that folks here can't steer you in an accurate direction. But you will not be able to filter the accurate from the inaccurate without an attorney.

A starting place is to review the various legal documents that WotC provides on its site.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Here is a whole series of articles written by an IP lawyer. Not saying you shouldn't eventually consult an attorney with your specific work to make sure you're in the clear, but this should give you a good idea as to whether or not it is worth pursuing that far.

www.loremaster.org/content.php/123-prote...

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that 4e supplements have been released without using the GSL so it's certainly not impossible, but there are other reasons to consult a lawyer as well, especially if you are basing this off of a movie.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.