confused: MTGO vs Steam version

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I thought MTGO was the steam version.  I didn't realize that a different online version existed.  Which is better? Meaning which has a larger player base?  More activity? I assume the non-steam version has the most cards.

I have played the card version with friends, actually have quite a few cards, anyway to get access to them online, or do you have to rebuy your favorite deck?  Can you buy cards from old versions? 
The game on steam is called Duel of the Planeswalkers. It is an arcade-style adaptation of the game of Magic. There are a fixed number of cards to play with, that you earn more by progressing through the game. Deckbuilding and play options are somewhat limited.

Magic Online is a direct replica of paper play. You can buy boosters, own and can buy/trade individual cards from other players, play a draft or sealed, and win prizes. The gameplay is identical to playing with paper cards, and new expansions are released shortly after their paper counterpart.

Paper Magic and Magic Online are parallel but mostly separate; there is no way to take paper cards you own and convert them into their online counterparts. The only conversion between the two systems is a process called redemption, where you can collect one of every card in a particular expansion online and trade it in for the paper counterpart (the digital cards are removed from your collection and the paper version shipped to you). Even this option is only available for a couple years after a set is first released.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Hi, I have been playing with both. MTGO gives a lot more freedom. You can make an online (digital) card collection. Not possible with the steam thing.
Specially if you want to have your "old" cards you must use MTGO. I have been playing with the first 3 computer versions of magic the gathering 1993 till 2005 or so and restarted a couple of months, first with the steam game later with MTGO, so many new cards!

Must say that I do not use the steam game anymore, just MTGO

Greetz Frank    

Steam is the doorway to get into MTGO. it is a leasurely way of getting into MTG.
 Nothing more nothing less. Steam:Duel of the Planeswalkers is bug-ridden, overpowered@underpowered premade sets. I have it all [flamesuit on]. -but I can only in  my defence say, that I eventually realized that MTG:O is a fine game. Equally challenging as chess and poker. MTG:O might become expensive, depending on your ADHD-levels, but at least MTG:O is, imo, excusable, It is more than just buying ****. The steam version is not. through steam, you buy some/it all, find your preferred deck, not by your own preferences, but because some decks are just killing the others.
In MTGO, you still suffer from certain sets killing you off, but you'll always find a challenge in overcome those ecks by tweaking your own set.

-Or you could just collect all cards, or start a bot that trades for you. Through steam you can do neither with the planeswalkers-thing.   
Sign In to post comments