G/r/b Undying Pod

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pretty simple. Prob been done a million times, but what the heck. Here goes.

--creatures--
4x hex parasite
4x young wolf
4x strangleroot geist
4x pyreheart wolf
4x sightless ghoul-weak, but no other 4cmc undyers
4x vorapede
2x wurmcoil engine

--spells--
2x doom blade
4x slagstorm
4x birthing pod

--land--
2x blackcleave cliffs
2x copperline gorge
2x grim backwoods
4x rootbound crag
4x woodland cemetery
6x forest
2x mountain
2x swamp

No sb yet. Usual suspects. ratchet bomb, naturalize, nihil spellbomb. Whatever.

I think the only new thing here is using hex parasite to reset my critters. But prob not that either. Lemme know.
i like this idea. a lot actually. the only thing i have an issue with is the sightless ghoul. sure, it's the only 4cmc with undying, but there is the possibility that your 4cmc guys don't have to have undying. you could use Thrun, the Last Troll, which without undying, does resist removal from your opponent so you can sacrifice him for the pod to get out your vorapede. also, even tho the manabase doesn't really support using him, there's always Phyrexian Obliterator. keep him as a 1-of, and have 3 thruns, and your set. also, the mana curve on your creatures seems a little strange. you have 4 of every cmc up thru 5cmc. i recommend bringing the vorapede down by 2, and maybe 4 by 1, and add 3 more 2 drop creatures. granted, again, there aren't any more 2 drops with undying, you can always use decent 2 drops like Highborn Ghoul or Viridian Emissary. have you considered the possibility of including Geralf's Messenger in place of one or 2 pyrehearts wolfs? and also the possibility of Mikaeus, the Unhallowed or Flayer of the Hatebound in place of the wurmcoils? granted, neither is as powerful as the wurmcoil, but they have better synergy with this deck given their undying abilities. plus, inclusion of mikaeus will make use of the non-undying creatures much more beneficial.
Oh well thanks. I like the idea of dropping some of the higher end cards for more smaller dudes. I considered Flayer, but he is so late game, I feel I have stronger cards to use. I think both Geralf and obliterator have use here. I think I'll make some changes and repost
Updated list. Cut red. It's more effective even tho the mana base is a little rocky.

G/B Undying Pod

--creatures--
4x hex parasite
4x young wolf
4x strangleroot Geist
4x geralf's messenger
3x phyrexian obliterator
1x thrun, the last troll
2x vorapede
2x wurmcoil engine

--spells--
3x undying evil-play tests prove it useful. Dismember my obliterator? How about a 6/6 one now? me like
2x doom blade
3x dismember
4x birthing pod

--land--
4x woodland cemetery
2x grim backwoods -works quite well when combined with hex parasite's ability.
10x swamp
8x forest
...flayer is only as late game as wurmcoil...plus, this is a pod deck...chances are with only one or 2 in the deck you'll be able to get it out thru the pod itself...and you amped up the wrong cmc's. you want the lowest cmc's to have more creatures, so you're more likely to draw them and sac them for the pod to get the chain going. plus, with the obliterator's 4 black mana cost, it isn't a good idea to have more than 2 in a split color deck...i'd recommend this.

4 Hex Parasite
4 Young Wolf
3 Strangleroot Geist
3 Viridian Emissary
3 Pyreheart Wolf
2 Geralf's Messenger
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Phyrexian Obliterator
2 Vorapede
1 Flayer of the Hatebound
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
3 Undying Evil
3 Slagstorm
4 Birthing Pod
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Copperline Gorge
2 Grim Backwoods
4 Woodland Cemetery
6 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
Updated list. Cut red. It's more effective even tho the mana base is a little rocky. G/B Undying Pod --creatures-- 4x hex parasite 4x young wolf 4x strangleroot Geist 4x geralf's messenger 3x phyrexian obliterator 1x thrun, the last troll 2x vorapede 2x wurmcoil engine --spells-- 3x undying evil-play tests prove it useful. Dismember my obliterator? How about a 6/6 one now? me like 2x doom blade 3x dismember 4x birthing pod --land-- 4x woodland cemetery 2x grim backwoods -works quite well when combined with hex parasite's ability. 10x swamp 8x forest

If you cut red I'd suggest Black Sun's Zenith. You're going to need board wipers in this environment, especially since it won't affect your creatures as much. Also, Phyrexian Metamorph does dirty things when you imprint your <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[Geralf]+[s]+[Messenger]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Geralf's Messenger</a> and sac it to the pod for obliterator - you'll get to re-copy another creature when it comes back (probably the obliterator you just searched up).
17382e99.jpg
Phyrexian Metamorph does dirty things when you imprint your <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[Geralf]+[s]+[Messenger]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Geralf's Messenger</a> and sac it to the pod for obliterator - you'll get to re-copy another creature when it comes back (probably the obliterator you just searched up).

what he said. XD
Ooo really?! Why does it re-trigger? I'm not familiar with that ruling. I'd have to make some room in my 4 cmc slot...but it can be done. I have continued to tweak my list, it's a little different now as well. I know I need sweeps. Prob sb em for the moment.
Ooo really?! Why does it re-trigger? I'm not familiar with that ruling. I'd have to make some room in my 4 cmc slot...but it can be done. I have continued to tweak my list, it's a little different now as well. I know I need sweeps. Prob sb em for the moment.

it re-triggers because when the metamorph is copying the messenger, it has undying, so it re-enters the field with a +1/+1 counter, but it's phyrexian metamporph when it re-enters, so it's ability triggers again and it can copy something else.

it re-triggers because when the metamorph is copying the messenger, it has undying, so it re-enters the field with a +1/+1 counter, but it's phyrexian metamporph when it re-enters, so it's ability triggers again and it can copy something else.

I tried Phyrexian Metamorph in a similar deck to this, but I ended up taking it out. Unless your opponent has a higher CMC card than you, it's not a very worthwhile drop. My solution was to put in a few Phantasmal Image, but I have Birds of Paradise to pay for and tutor them (with the Pod). I usually only tutor a Phantasmal Image to destroy legendaries. Great to sac a bird of paradise to destroy a valuable asset to your opponent.

In your example of him saccing his Geralf's for a Metamorph, he sacs a 3 CMC to get another, 3 CMC back. While having two Phyrexian Obliterators is cool, I'd rather just tutor two of him out of one Geralf's or just keep moving up the CMC chain to Vorapede after one (my choice).

Sideboard material against some decks with ramp that try to t4 Titan or something similar?