Rogue / Ranger hybrid

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
The goal of the build is to be able to use Sneak Attack and Quarry as often as possible, hence a lot of minor/interrupt attacks.

Pretty sure my Feats are not as strong as they could be, so I help in that area, and any help in general, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

Str 18, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10.

Feats
Level 1: Hybrid Talent (2 blade fighting style)

POWERS
Hybrid Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf

ITEMS
Short sword, Scimitar, Longbow, Leather Armor, Arrows (120)

Essentially, i was just gonna ask how this works. So i can declare a target as many times as i want to be my quarry and also get sneak attack damage?

Also, is this mostly ranged or melee?

Thanks!
do i make 2 attacks then? why rapier and dagger? why not hit harder?
what do u mean as many as possible? im super new, so is it just an off hand and main hand or how does it work with my abilities?
Rapier is the most damaging one handed weapon available to you without taking away any feat slots.
Additionally Light Blades are a weapon group with the most available support for accuracy (Nimble Blade), and the expertise gives you an easily attainable damage bonus on top. The dagger helps you in situations, where you can't get into melee, since it can be thrown. If nothing else, a RBA is better than standing around doing nothing while being immobilized/restrained.

You might want to rethink your choice of Riposte Strike though. How likely will you get attacked from a mob you should be flanking with your defender? Could the enemy be really that dumb to risk both the punishment from the defender and your riposte? Vigilante Justice might help, but you and your ally would have to be adjacent to each other, so you might not have Combat Advantage.
Deft Strike is never a bad choice on a Rogue, since it offers mobility and can be used in melee and ranged, which would allow you to inflict SA-damage when not in range for Twin Strike.

Edit:

You take as many options for multiple attacks as possible.
Twin Strike is the most obvious.
Offhand-Strike at level 1
Low Slash at Level 3
Snap Shot at lvl 7

In addition you should maybe take Press the Advantage as your Lvl 1 Daily, since it can be triggered quite easily and would give you an opportunity to deal SA damage, when you haven't already.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

Assuming rapier and dagger, don't forget to take the Swift Blade Style feat (Dragon Annual and Dragon 368) in Heroic.  You'll dish out +Dex mod damage with (both of) your Twin Strike attacks, assuming they both hit.  Since you're taking minor/immediate actions attacks for your higher level encounter powers, you'll being using Twin Strike a lot as your defacto attack, with ranged and melee options.
I'd point out that if you're feeling uncomfortable because you're new, being a Str/Dex Ranger who multiclasses into Rogue gets roughly most of the effect of being a Ranger|Rogue - and you get to dual-wield Rapiers with Light Blade Expertise.

And you get a better AC(Hide vs Leather), Called Shot without feat expenditure, a little extra damage with every Twin Strike, etc...

Sure, you don't get to do Low Slash/Snap Shot as minors to get Sneak Attack twice per encounter. You get to do it once per encounter as part of your Twin Strike.
I thought Swift Blade Style was a "one time after-effect".  In other words, you would only deal your DEX damage once, after you had succesfully hit with the 2nd attack.

Do you really get to add DEX damage to BOTH attacks?  How do you even know if the 2nd attack is necessary or if you need to swing at a different target with the 2nd attack until after you have completely resolved the 1st attack (including its damage without DEX yet)?
Why not go ahead and HT for TWF and use a farbond spellblade for one enchant? That'd give an option for ranged, should the need arise. That way the OP could dual wield rapiers. Pick up light blade expertise at level 1, then HT at level 2.
Why not go ahead and HT for TWF and use a farbond spellblade for one enchant? That'd give an option for ranged, should the need arise. That way the OP could dual wield rapiers. Pick up light blade expertise at level 1, then HT at level 2.

Good call! Add Cunning Stalker in there or Superior Reflexes to get some CA to trigger the Sneak Attack.
The Ranger's two-weapon style just isn't that valuable in this case, because that extra offhand damage doesn't always come into play.  Upgrading from dagger to rapier is just a two point bump in [1W] damage in the instances in which the offhand weapon from Ranger powers hit. It's not applicable when using Riposte Strike, Low Slash or whatever other Rogue attack powers he uses (possibly two encounter powers by level 7, with Low Slash and Snap Shot.)
So very feat starved. I think MwaO gave you the best advice.
You have one standard, one move, and one minor action on each of your turns, and an immediate action (and several opportunity actions) in between them. What I mean is that you want to use as many of those to attack as possible.

So that means you start off with a Rogue At-will and Off-hand Strike in order to deal 1d8+2d6+DEX+1, 1d4+1d6+STR+1. Then you use Twin Strike for the rest of the fight in order to do 1d8+1+1d4+1+1d6.

At level 3, you get another power, and it's Low Slash. Now you get two awesome rounds where you can use your minor and standard to attack, or if a leader has a damage bonus for you and you don't need to move, you might use low slash and off-hand strike on the same turn.

Make sense?

Can you break down the dice? Like why is it this damage?
why dont i get the 2d6 in twin strike?

You can only apply sneak attack to your rogue powers because of the Hybrid rules.  Similarly, you can only apply quarry to your ranger powers.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

You can only apply sneak attack to your rogue powers because of the Hybrid rules.  Similarly, you can only apply quarry to your ranger powers.

And once per turn
Quarry's still once per round, which hurts Disruptive Strike vs. Low Slash or Darting Strike.
Quarry's still once per round, which hurts Disruptive Strike vs. Low Slash or Darting Strike.

Only out of context. Because most ranger|rogues are going to want to quarry, move(for eventual called shot), and attack, it is hard to get the minor action attack off on the 1st round of combat.

So a pure Ranger with Disruptive Strike ends up quarry, move, twin strike(possibly with CA therefore getting Sneak Attack), disruptive strike where the Ranger|Rogue ends up getting only quarry, move, twin strike on round 1.

Doing an extra, nearly automatic attack with extra sneak attack in round 1 is really effective...
Is my understanding that Ranger MC Rogue is limited to SA once per encounters? If that's the case, doesn't that defeat the goal the OP has?
Is my understanding that Ranger MC Rogue is limited to SA once per encounters? If that's the case, doesn't that defeat the goal the OP has?

No. Because he's basically limited to SA twice an encounter, maybe three times as a Rogue. And that's assuming that he actually hits all 2-3 times with those Rogue powers as opposed to simply stating, "Hey, I'd like some sneak attack damage to go with my Twin Strike crit please..."

In reality, it should be reasonably common that the Ranger|Rogue is limited to SA once per encounter due to missing and Twin Strike simply being that much better than getting SA. 
Because HTing for TWF is a total waste of a feat compared to HTing for prime shot or Brutal Scoundrel.

Isn't HT for Rogue Weapon Talent (+1 attack with daggers) competitive with these options (obviously, you'd use two daggers)?

t~
Then, what would be good power swaps be for such a build?

Also, not saying that'd it'd be worth it, but, what about PMC for a character like this? Would they then be able to Quarrels and SA on any power?
Action economy issues AND feat starved
Because HTing for TWF is a total waste of a feat compared to HTing for prime shot or Brutal Scoundrel.

Isn't HT for Rogue Weapon Talent (+1 attack with daggers) competitive with these options (obviously, you'd use two daggers)?

t~

Prime Punisher/Called Shot says no.

t~

More investment and more finicky in play.  On a feat and action-starved build, I'd say those are relevant considerations.

t~
Relevant compared to getting your paragon damage tax feat? The Rogue has no called shot equivalent.

t~

More investment and more finicky in play.  On a feat and action-starved build, I'd say those are relevant considerations.

t~

You're doing Twin Strike and Called Shot takes no actions...if you're so feat starved that you can't use an eventual +2 to hit, +6(including a simple +1 from better weapons, though it is higher than that) to damage, there's something wrong with why you're that feat starved.
I agree that Prime Shot/Punisher/Called Shot is worth the investment.  The action economy (and finicky) issue is that you have to isolate yourself on your target (and make them your quarry) for Prime Punisher to work; easy in theory, not always so easy in practice, especially when you want to be using your move and minor actions on more attacks.

I'm just saying that I can easily envision campaign dynamics where it makes more sense to invest 1 feat for an always-on +1 to hit than 3 feats for a significantly harder to obtain +1/+5 on a higher [W].

t~
Anyway, boxxylol, while all of this is a fascinating discussion, please read post #9 by Mommy was an Orc, and take that advice to heart.
If you're a melee ranger|rogue, I'm not entirely sure how one of your allies is closer to your target than you are. Unless you're with a weird pixie build. You should be adjacent and therefore none of your allies are closer. And Called shot doesn't need any other action use other than you're able to use prime shot.
Prime Punisher isn't "no other ally is closer", it's "no other ally is adjacent to the target."  That's the finicky bit, as it limits what melee allies can do and still allow the Ranger his bonus.
If you play a drow, handcrossbows can become as good as rapiers, with a ranged basic on a crit. Twin Strike and Snap Shot on the same turn are good, and dual wielding quick handcrossbows you can shoot a lot. Up to five times with with an action point, six if you get a crit or use the quick handcrossbow.

Crank stealth, and multiclass assassin to get the shadow master ki focus and you get to have a lot of rediculous fun. 
It takes away your ranged option, but Spiked Chain Training really isn't a bad idea for this type of hybrid.
Okay here is what i have for my Rogue/Hunter hybrid so far:

i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/libtec...

i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/libtec...
bump for desperate help
your photo bucket summaries are not helping, try posting the summaries here, rather than linking images...

{spoiler=title}
content
{/spoiler}
Substitute [] for {}
You ignored all the previous advice about light blades, rapiers, and perhaps multiclassing instead of going hybrid. What is it you are looking for that hasn't already been said ?
You have one standard, one move, and one minor action on each of your turns, and an immediate action (and several opportunity actions) in between them. What I mean is that you want to use as many of those to attack as possible.

So that means you start off with a Rogue At-will and Off-hand Strike in order to deal 1d8+2d6+DEX+1, 1d4+1d6+STR+1. Then you use Twin Strike for the rest of the fight in order to do 1d8+1+1d4+1+1d6.

At level 3, you get another power, and it's Low Slash. Now you get two awesome rounds where you can use your minor and standard to attack, or if a leader has a damage bonus for you and you don't need to move, you might use low slash and off-hand strike on the same turn.

Make sense?

wouldnt it be better to use Deft strike with combat advantage after my main opener?
bump

Make sense?

wouldnt it be better to use Deft strike with combat advantage after my main opener?

No
Sign In to post comments