Books I'd also like to see before 4e gets dropped

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heroes of the Astral Plane:  Detailing more player options for those who favor divine-powered characters

Heroes of the Far Realm:  Detailing some aspects of the Far Realm, including some of the more powerful denizens of that insane landscape.
Power Source: Shadow Frown
Power Source: Elemental Cry
Ritual Compendium. *sigh*
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
Howdy folks,

I've moved this thread over to the 4E Future Releases forum.

Thanks.

All around helpful simian

crazy monkey has crazy teleport powers!  He's a mage!

Also, I'd like to see more books with monster races in them.

In an ideal world we'd also get just a few more unique classes, possibly towards the shadow and Elemental side.  I mean, we're only 4 classes away from 30, if I am counting correctly.  Such a nice, round number . . .
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Oh, I don't know. Maybe Arcane Power 2, Primal Power 2, Divine Power 2 and Psionic Power 2.

Then Player's Handbook 4- Shadow power based AEDU characters- followed up quickly by Shadow Power 2.

Dungeon Master's Guide 3 for Epic level.

But wait- they'd have to hire back Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Dave Noonan, Stephen Schubert, Bill Slaviksek, Logan Bonner, Chris Young, Ari Marmel, Rich Baker, Steve Winter- basically everyone who made 4E kick butt. How can you stay attached to a company when it Fires all its freaking talent!
Heroes of the Astral Sea/Plane/Stuff
Feywild Campaign Book (companion to the Gloomwrought book)
Unearthed Arcana type book (alternate rules as well as rules and examples for sea combat/airship combat)
DMG 3 -- with a lot of Epic Tier advice and a...
...Epic Tier Super-adventure
Map pack with "featureless" terrain i.e. grass, snow, sand.  I want to be able to use my dungeon tiles as overlays on these maps.
Dedicated Paragon and Epic tier Monster Vaults

and...

... I was told there would be "Punch and Pie" 
But wait- they'd have to hire back Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Dave Noonan, Stephen Schubert, Bill Slaviksek, Logan Bonner, Chris Young, Ari Marmel, Rich Baker, Steve Winter- basically everyone who made 4E kick butt. How can you stay attached to a company when it Fires all its freaking talent!

I really appreciate appearing in a list of such august company. But I do need to clarify that I wasn't fired in any way. I'm a freelancer, not a WotC employee. I haven't done much for them in a while--I've been busy working on my novels (tie-in and otherwise)--but I'd still happily do more work for them if their needs and my schedule allow for it.
Ari Marmell aka Mouseferatu --Rodent of the Dark www.mouseferatu.com Twitter Facebook
I love 4e, but what's the point of buying new 4e books when the game itself is doomed?
DannoE "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"  The Internet's Best Triathlon / Comic/ D&D Blog!
I love 4e, but what's the point of buying new 4e books when the game itself is doomed?

not doomed for me....I'll keep playing it for a long time.

How is it doomed?  Because they'll stop work on it?  That hasn't "doomed" my or other's love of SNES games, and the last game made for that was 10+ years ago.

I really appreciate appearing in a list of such august company. But I do need to clarify that I wasn't fired in any way. I'm a freelancer, not a WotC employee. I haven't done much for them in a while--I've been busy working on my novels (tie-in and otherwise)--but I'd still happily do more work for them if their needs and my schedule allow for it.

You, sir, wrote Last Breaths of Ashenport.  Beyond anything else you have done for 4th ed that I love (and that volume of work is considerable), that alone places you in at least my top ten list of people who have made the edition for me.  With your other work, it might be top 5.

Just so you know.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

It is not "doomed" by any means. There are plenty of folks that kept playing whatever edition they had bought the books for and this will include fourth edition. While it is true that 4E has a particular digital investment with the tools as long as Wizards continues to host them, even if there are no updates, I don't see everyone dropping 4E on day #1 of 5E. My group continued to play Revised Third Edition for well over a year after 4E was out. We had campaigns to finish and plus 4E was done in a way that most iconic races and class weren't available. I hope they learned that lesson for 5E. Put the iconic stuff in the first Player's Handbook please!

During the first edition conversion the original holders of D&D, TSR, Inc., continued to mass produce first edition Player's Handbooks after they had sold their "new and shiny" second edition ones. Why? Because lots of folks were still using and buying them.

Its only doomed if people stop playing it and the 4E players I know have no intention of doing so.

Frankly, with the enconomy in the crapper (a quarter of the gamers I know are unemployed and about half are under-employed for their level of education) dropping ANOTHER $100+ on a new game system just isn't going to happen. Not when we've already got a number of perfectly viable systems that aren't going to be costing us a dime to play (I'm currently playing or running ongoing campaigns of LUG Star Trek, OWoD Mage, 2e Mutants & Masterminds, and two 4E campaigns).

That's the great thing about a completed system... once someone has made the original investment its one of the cheapest forms of entertainment out there (basically the cost of food for the evening) and 4E already has more than enough material to create thousands upon thousand of unique characters to tell any sort of heroic fantasy story we'd ever feel like playing. The final books coming out this year are just gravy.

Honestly? With the amount of money I've spent on RPG's the idea that I should even be THINKING about looking at blowing money on ANY new game system should see me carted off to the looney bin.
Working on that Feywild setting book. Hoping its voted as the summer project for Open Design, but if not I'll be publishing it via Fourth Party.

As for other books before WotC drops 4e, well, I don't believe they'll release anymore after May. It'll be DDi until 5e... here's hoping it's substantial support. Heroes of the Astral Sea would be a nice gift to 4thers. And I kind of consider all of Chris Perkin's excellent articles to, collectively, be the best of all the DMGs of this edition- with support for Epic in spades.

Like others have iterated, I plan to support 4e for a long time to come through personal projects, and I'm not alone. Publications in my realm of interest include:

Fiendish Codexes, Hell and Abyss setting books, Far Realm setting book (not necessarily inside the Far Realm, but the aberrant ulcers across the cosmos- I feel the Far Realm should always remain somewhat unknowable, not another dungeon), Spirit World book (and Primal Spirit expansion), Primordial Prisons, Heaven setting book (have a few fun ideas here), Underworlds and Afterlives setting book, Beneath the Ocean setting book, Gods and Exarchs book (stats, domains, artifacts to imprison or slay), 4e Lords of Madness, 4e Savage Species, a legitamately VILE Book of Vile Darkness equivalent (rated anywhere from R to X), Dungeon Delves 2 (Paragon) and 3 (Epic), the equivalent of a Dawn War sourcebook (playing during the Dawn War as a champion of a god or primordial), Arkhosia vs Bael Turath sourcebook (dragonborn vs tiefling goodness as a setting), resurrection of untold classics, including the never materialized prequel of Temple of Elemental Evil (I swore that was mentioned a few months back...) and some sort of 'Revenge at Castle Ravenloft'. Wouldn't mind a legitimate 'Elminster Must Die' adventure, where you kill the old coot, and in the process every other Realms mainstay, the sisters, the witch-queen, Drizzt, all of them, hah, yeah... Also various books on strongholds, crafting, colonizing, world-shaping, conquest, being evil, being gods, spelljamming, time traveling, etc etc.

Plenty of potential for APs, as well, enough to carry 4e to 2020.
After the power source books I always wanted to see a multiclass book with feats/paragon paths/epic destinies for characters who combine different power sources or even just two base classes in the same power source.

Late 3rd eddition the Dragon  magazine listed suggested titles for multiclass pairs.
Mountineer = Ranger + Barbarian
Smuggler = Ranger + Rogue  
feats or paragon paths or now themes for stuff like that.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
We have books devoted to the Plane Above, the Plane Below, and a boxed set devoted to the Shadowfell. How sad would it be if the Feywild, a realm that is purely 4th edition, and one of the most brilliant concepts in D&D under the WotC banner, never got a setting book of its own?

Menzoberranzan? There is a 2e boxed set devoted to that ALREADY. Give me a Feywild boxed set! After reading The Wise Man's Fear, I need this book more than ever.
We have books devoted to the Plane Above, the Plane Below, and a boxed set devoted to the Shadowfell. How sad would it be if the Feywild, a realm that is purely 4th edition, and one of the most brilliant concepts in D&D under the WotC banner, never got a setting book of its own?

Menzoberranzan? There is a 2e boxed set devoted to that ALREADY. Give me a Feywild boxed set! After reading The Wise Man's Fear, I need this book more than ever.

I agree completely. It's obvious that WotC is going for the easy money as opposed to wrapping up 4e the way it deserves. Books about Drow are the only safe bet when it comes to sales in RPG's and it's obvious this is a stopgap product designed to keep some revenue coming in while they get 5e ready. Even moreso since it's edition neutral. I suspect the "Halls of Undermountain" and "Dungeon Survival Guide" will be the final 4e print products.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it deeply suspicious that they havn't announced any new 4e product after those two books.
I'm going to try not to get too skeptical, and hope the response from Heroes of the Feywild was good enough that WotC thinks it warrants looking into.

If Wizards wants to find a way to bridge 4e content and 5e content, the Feywild is a great way to do it. They can fill in the holes left by the Manual of the Planes and at the same time, include sidebars about how the realm would fit in the Great Wheel Cosmology.

It's a win/win/win scenario. 
After the power source books I always wanted to see a multiclass book with feats/paragon paths/epic destinies for characters who combine different power sources or even just two base classes in the same power source.

Late 3rd eddition the Dragon  magazine listed suggested titles for multiclass pairs.
Mountineer = Ranger + Barbarian
Smuggler = Ranger + Rogue  
feats or paragon paths or now themes for stuff like that.  

This is a terific ideea even if it's only fluff,not that pure fluff wouldn't be awesome I'd love to see something about the men and women who combine Powers Sources.
Seeing that me and my play group aregetting back in to DND after we been playing Dragon age rpg system. Did the book for skill challege ever see ligth of day. I know it was talk about.
completely unlikely but if we're dreaming...

Planescape/Spelljammer Campaign Setting and Creature Catalog

...and if I'm greedy...

Dragonlance Campaign Setting and Creature Catalog 
another H1-E3 series

Sign In to post comments