Climbing and Diving statuses and attacks.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Climbing status lets you attack an aircraft 1 altitude higher than your own, the Diving altitude lets you attack an aircraft 1 altitude lower than your own... but do they disallow you from attacking aircraft at your own altitude?

I'd assume yes, but the rules don't appear too clear on it. 
Actualy they do for Diving Status, Asbestos. PG27 under Advanced Attack & Defense Rules: FIREING ARC AND ALTITUDE - "An aircraft with diving status can attack targets at its altitude or at the altitude 1 lower." Though climbing is not explicitly cited also in the sentence it sets precidence by using the permissive "can" previously for both on page 26. Using the limiting "Only" would be appropriate to place a constraint on attacking that trumps a basic rule.

It probably was overlooked and not specified because climbing attacks provide very different conditons for the bonus and who actualy gets it.  Note that it is legal for co-alt aircraft to engage a climbing aircraft and seize the bonus.  The climbing aircraft can only get the bonous if it's target is also climbing and has a lower climb rateing.  I  imagine a typical situation of two coalt planes both in climbing status engaging each other.  Who ever stalls or levels first is in a world of hurt.

Bottom line,  If climbing negated the co-alt engagement for Climbing Status it would be a "Drawback" and as such is not expessed or infered.  Only an official response and or errata can over ride the rules as currently written.

GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
Note that it is legal for co-alt aircraft to engage a climbing aircraft and seize the bonus.

I'm not sure I understand this part.  To me it reads as if: any co-altitude aircraft gets a bonus when engaging a climbing aircraft.  Was this your intent?
Viva la Resistance! Proud Member of Axis & Allies Underground
What reads? The rules or my statement?

My statement was supportive to the larger assertion in the paragraph.

I was setting up for the visualisation of two aircraft at co-alt and both climbing being able to engage each other the same as two co-alt Divers.

GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
Ah, you've cleared it up for me.  Thank you.
Viva la Resistance! Proud Member of Axis & Allies Underground