What books I want to see in 5th edition

I do not want to see more sup books like PHB2,3,4. Or DM2 and 3.  I want that all wrapped up in one book each.     Here is the list of Books I would like to see in 5th 1. PHB with class, race "powers/spells etc" however they want to name and do it.  Feats and skills. Paragon and Epic class options, I know it may not be a favorite But Id rather see some classes turned into Paragon and Epic paths with a little more to them if they were once a class. Example: PHB4 has paragon and epic paths.  make them a little more stronger and then add some of the other classes that might fit as paths also. 
2.  DM Guide one Book.
3. Magic Item Book
4. Monster Manuel
5. Heroes and Villains of D&D   Catagorize by Campaign world and Alphebetically with Photos to be used as NPC Villains ETC>  From FR, GreyHawk,Dragonlance,Eberron. ETC   Color code the names to palce them in what LEvel Catagory. Hero, Paragon, Epic. 
6. Deity and Demigod book:  Same thing as #5.  Each by Campaign world with Name and Picture. and How to Create your own gods for your own world Campaigns.      
7. Worlds of D&D:  A Basic description of each world like FR, GreyHawk, Eberron, Dragonlance, ETC. and how to create your own world.   Then if you want to expand it they can buy the specific world books.     
Apart from the Core books, I'd like to see in D&D Next:

Adventurer's Survival Guide
(a combination of Dungeon and Wilderness advanced rules)

Arms & Equipment
 (extras Equipment options)

Tome of Magic (extra Spellcasters options)

Tome of Battles (extra non-Spellcasters options)

Themes & Kits (extra Themes options) 

Faith & Avatars (extra domain deities options) 

Manual of the Plances (extra World & demi-planes options)

Adventurer's Vault (extra magic items options) 

The Complete X Handbook (extra Class options)

Adventures (tons of those)

I do not want to see more sup books like PHB2,3,4. Or DM2 and 3.  I want that all wrapped up in one book each. 

Get used to dissapointment.
Orcs of Thar, the rest of Gazeteer, Mystara. Everything else is gravy.
I do not want to see more sup books like PHB2,3,4. Or DM2 and 3.  I want that all wrapped up in one book each. 

Get used to dissapointment.

You get 25 points for the reference.

Personally, I would have welcomed a PHB 6. ;)
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
I would like to see the 5e equivalent of:

Savage Species
Complete "Class X" manuals
Environmental Manuals (frostburn, sandstorm, etc)
Unearthed Arcana
Races Manuals
Alternate Systems (like Tome of Magic 3.5, Tome of Battle, Weapons of Legacy, etc)

Also, I would love to have the options to have them in .pdf format 

IMAGE(http://www.forum-signatures.com/wizard/Sigs/2010/final1329876348159.jpg)
I would like to see the remake of the original Temple of Elemental Evil to come out as the first module for 5th Edition. Otherwise, I won't care about this rules edition.
Core Books + This:

Book Of Vile Darkness

Book Of Exalted Deeds
Unearthed Arcana
Fiendish Codex
Deities and Demigods
Spell Compendium
Races of X (Dragon, Faerun, Destiny, Stone,... )
Libris Mortis
Dragon Magic
Draconomicon
Martial Power
Heroes Of Horror
Rules Compendium
Lords of Madness
Elder Evils
Arms and Equipment Guide
Weapons of Legacy
Magic Item Compendium
Tome of Magic
Tome of Battle
Manual of the Planes
Adventurer's Vault
A Series of Complete X (Arcane, Champion, Scoundrel, Psionics ...)
Psionics Handbook
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

And ofc the adventures. I probably forgot some books.
A guide to convert any class, spell, item or ability, from any edition or magazine article to the new edition. 
i would like to see campaign update books.

for example 1 book that contains the spelljammer player races, character class options, speljammer monsters, and rules on the spelljammer sips.
it would also explain how these rules could be used in other ways.

this book would apear as just another intresting book with optional rules new races and class options to a person not familiar with the speljammer setting.
to sombody familiar with the spell jammer setting it could be used as a upgrade kit for the old spelljammer setting he already has.

you might also have a book that introduces:
moon based magic, a few new player races, draconian monsters, themses for playing knights of difrent orders.
thet would function as a dragonlance upgrade kit to people who already have older dragonlance campaign settings.

the fluff in these books would be nutral so the races and options could be used in any campaign.
to use it as a upgrace kit you would combine the new options with the old fluff you already have in your old campaign setting books.
I'd just like to add Campaign Setting books for Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Dragonlance (finally), Ravenloft, Eberron, Birthright ...
I'm dreaming big here but I'd love to see a massive Core Rulebook; massive on the order of the Ptolus Campaign Setting (650 plus pages).

Assuming that the Core books sell the best, make the most money, why not throw all their apples into one basket, go all out?

For a single book it would be insanely expensive but the advantage is, the Big Book could include all the info for Player's DM's, Monsters, and even Setting.  Buying it all individually (PHB, DMG, MM, CS) would set ya back at least that much (if not more).

Yeah, I'm dreaming big ;) but it's exciting just to know that there was ever a gaming book as big as Ptolus.
/\ Art
I would like to see the core of the game well represented in 3 books.  The PHB, DM, MM format was very nice and clean.  I don't want the core to be in books that don't come out for months after release, like PHB2 with the sorcerer and barbarian and half the races.   Also I don't want errata that makes my books trash as reference material, get it right the first time.  Otherwise, feel free to surprise and impress me. 
Well this would be later in the edition. but maybe after a year or so release a rules compendium. Compact, fluff taken out, Alphabetical

I loved the 3.5 rules compendium for easy reference.

put me down for ravenloft.

i mean, the board game looks cool, but its not a d&d setting, its a board game.  a shame too.  it looks awesome but for +- 80 bucks, id much rather just have a fully converted and updated ravenloft setting.  i was really hoping for that in 4e.  its been a pain trying to convery it from 3.5 to 4e.

put me down for ravenloft.

i mean, the board game looks cool, but its not a d&d setting, its a board game.  a shame too.  it looks awesome but for +- 80 bucks, id much rather just have a fully converted and updated ravenloft setting.  i was really hoping for that in 4e.  its been a pain trying to convery it from 3.5 to 4e.

On amazon it's about $45.  Ii'm all for supporting local game stores, but when the product is so expensive . . .
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
I would rather players handbooks with new complete PC classes, new PC races and the monster manuals. Why not a new Oriental Adventures?

I miss Dark Sun (where I live I haven´t could buy it yet).

I love the idea of monster classes like from Savage Species. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I would like to see the core of the game well represented in 3 books.  The PHB, DM, MM format was very nice and clean.  I don't want the core to be in books that don't come out for months after release, like PHB2 with the sorcerer and barbarian and half the races.   Also I don't want errata that makes my books trash as reference material, get it right the first time.  Otherwise, feel free to surprise and impress me. 

I second this.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Bookwise the main thing I'd like to see is at 5e launch they release four books simultaneously: Players handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual and a campaign setting sourcebook of their choice (whatever campaign they want to make as the first official campaign).  4e made the mistake of launching each of these four books seperately starting with the PHB and then releasing the other books one at a time over the course of a few months. It was pretty annoying. Yell 

Please, WotC, at 5e launch release the above four books, even maybe as a bundle. It would be the perfect "5e starting package".  (Obviously not everybody would need a campaign sourcebook but there's probably quite a lot of DMs who would want a starting campaign setting spelled out for them to help get the ball rolling.)
I think there's really two different questions here: 1) how do we want the basic game material presented (basic meaning the game materials that everyone will need to play DDN no matter what edition they want to recreate the feel of), and 2) what non-basic materials do we want to see (modules, campaign settings, etc.).

1) basic game material: Of course, the big three books (PHB, DMG, and MM), and I'd like them all available at launch.

2) non-basic game material: the tactical combat module (assuming this module isn't included within the PHB, and I'd prefer it be available at launch), a module for converting casting systems (vancian, point-based, AEDU, skill-roll-to-cast, etc.), a default campaign setting available at launch (a full setting like FR or Eberron, IDK Greyhawk, but that might work too), Ravenloft setting, Spelljammer setting, a modern and sci-fi setting (like d20 Modern and d20 Future), genre books (horror, comedy, etc.), a well-done BoEF (less of the silly/useless crunch, though some of the crunch was ok, and a lot of fluff and advice for including romance in games), a module for integrating alignment fluff into mechanics (I'll never use it, but I don't want to deny it to those who seem to want it).

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

More books like Dungeon Delve would be outstanding.  These are perfect little fillers that you can use right out of the book or reflavor to taste.  They are really nice for new DMs as well, as they give great ideas on how to balance and organize encounters.

Celebrate our differences.

I do not want to see more sup books like PHB2,3,4. Or DM2 and 3.

Give me a core PHB and DMG good for levels 1-20 (using the 3E/4E level model) and a monster manual that covers all those levels in equal parts.
Throw "epic" stuff into its own book(s).  By all means pump out options books, magic items and new monsters on a regular basis, but don't create whole new rulesets like psionics and hybrids in the middle of the development cycle.

Make sure the PHB/DMG/MM launch at the same time and put out one campaign setting box set per year.    Instead of releasing DMG2, instead publish a book on dungeon adventuring or wilderness adventuring, focusing on one particular aspect.

It's okay to revisit old settings like Planescape, Dragonlance and Greyhawk - there are a lot of people still interested in them.

Every six months or so release a trilogy of adventures that make up a story arc.     

Don't ever re-release the core books in a "5.5E" format.

Ahhh, to dream ;) 
I'm dreaming big here but I'd love to see a massive Core Rulebook; massive on the order of the Ptolus Campaign Setting (650 plus pages).

Assuming that the Core books sell the best, make the most money, why not throw all their apples into one basket, go all out?

For a single book it would be insanely expensive but the advantage is, the Big Book could include all the info for Player's DM's, Monsters, and even Setting.  Buying it all individually (PHB, DMG, MM, CS) would set ya back at least that much (if not more).

Yeah, I'm dreaming big ;) but it's exciting just to know that there was ever a gaming book as big as Ptolus.

Yes Ptolus was a great book.  Great content, great art all well presented.  That is one of the books on my shelf Im glad I spent the money for.  I think it was about $100 to $120, well worth the price.  I agree with you, both from a player/DM/collector standpoint I too would like to see a super core book.  But there are some players from my experience that dont buy many books if at all.  Which I dont have a problem with, Im not going to disqualify a player from group because they cant afford a book.  So bundling all these books into one could preclude a possible maerket segment from buying books if they went this way.  Alot of players just buy players books if they have no intention of DMing.  My suggestion would be to release the core books singularly in the traditional manner at the edition launch with the anouncement that a deluxe bundled core book will be available in the near future.  They could add bonus content, hammer out erratta, etc.  There are those who are going to buy all the core books right at release and thats it, some will buy more likely just the PHB.  Others like myself would buy the core books at launch, and then the deluxe core, I have everything in one place, and I have an extra set of cores for the table. 
More books like Dungeon Delve would be outstanding.  These are perfect little fillers that you can use right out of the book or reflavor to taste.  They are really nice for new DMs as well, as they give great ideas on how to balance and organize encounters.

I agree that books filled with site-locations are great, though I very much dislike the delve format.
Sign In to post comments