Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 - UPDATE 2/22/2012

143 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey Everyone,

I finally have an update for you all, and appreciate your patience on this. I have been working with Robvalue to make some changes about how we communicate with you in the future and I hope that with taking this first step we can communicate much much more on future projects. 

After discussing with the team here, we’ve learned that there will not be any further updates to Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 game. Wizards is working hard on our digital initiatives, and we (I with some help) will continue to monitor these threads and pass along bugs and issues that you report. We really appreciate your efforts in this area. 

--Mike

Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
That is dissapointing to hear. I was hoping for some new cards. I love the game even though it has bugs. I will look forward to the next game though.
Thanks for the update but your words still seem a little ambiguous. Can you expand upon what this further communication will be? You can pass on bug reports until the cows come home but until changes are made and promises fulfilled I will remain skeptical.
Expected, but super disappointed.

Please let the product managers know that I will not be buying the next iteration at launch. The community will have to convince me that the bugs and issues have been resolved before I will consider any future purchases. It's critical that a rules-based game actually follows the rules correctly, and I have zero confidence in this developer to do right in the future.
Bad news is better than no news.

@Robvalue - Good job! 
If youre announcing officially that 2012 will no longer be supported, i imagine a new game must be fairly close. Can you confirm a presence at GDC?
Lol better communication. That'll be the day.
what do u mean exactly by no further updates to D12??? just no further content or no bug fixes as well???
"... pass along bugs ..."? Most of the bugs are known for seven months (!) now. Keep in mind that many people here will not buy 2013 if the same bugs (some were already in 2009) don't get fixed. For some like Call to the Grave it's just a matter of rewriting 3 (in words: THREE) lines of code. Very dissapointed.
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine

As I have been saying that we will see the new Duels this summer, this pretty much confirms it.

/Up, nice signature . She really does make the Elder sad.

Hey Everyone,

I finally have an update for you all, and appreciate your patience on this. I have been working with Robvalue to make some changes about how we communicate with you in the future and I hope that with taking this first step we can communicate much much more on future projects. 

After discussing with the team here, we’ve learned that there will not be any further updates to Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 game. Wizards is working hard on our digital initiatives, and we (I with some help) will continue to monitor these threads and pass along bugs and issues that you report. We really appreciate your efforts in this area. 

--Mike

Awesome, anther abandoned game despite bugs being known almost from day 1.  Pass on my sarcastic thanks to your team and the powers that be, I'm sure everyone there is very happy to be moving on to a new game and more cash.  Absolute garbage support again.
I hope that they make Magic 2013 and any future intro pack be playable in DOTP 2013.  C'mon.  Intro packs are targetted at newbies.  DOTP is targetted at newbies.  DOTP and intro packs go hand in hand, and playing the MTGO free trial, using the DOTP 2012 decks vs the M12 intro packs.

As for execution, as with pokemon TCG, include a code card in the intro pack.  I'm going to use PSN's example here, but the code can be entered on the "redeem codes" part of the Playstation store, and it gives you the intro pack for DOTP 2013 for free, and the only way to unlock that deck is to buy the actual intro pack.  I think that would connect the DOTP players to the actual paper game.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

Hey Everyone,

--Mike

Maybe it's just me not understanding, but you said there'll be no updates, but you'll pass along issues. You just confirmed that the game is not working properly but it won't be fixed, am I right. So what's the point of passing them if you're not going to fix them?
I wish everyone would read it before buying your game, it should be in the game's description on steam "We know the game is not working properly, it has multiple bugs, and we're not going to fix them".

Hey Everyone,

--Mike

Not impressed with this, although I can hardly say I am suprised.  By the sound of what you are saying, it seems that Wizards/Stainless are basically dropping all support for this game but continue to want bug info so they can fix them for the undoubtably upcoming Duels 2013...which of course we will have to shell out more cash for.  That is in incredibly bad taste; we all paid for this game...we didn't pay to beta test for the next game.  This game received, in total, a SINGLE bug fix that I can think of (making the decks hidden in lobbies); all the bugs relating to the cards themselves have remained from the start, with new bugs added every update. 

There was no communication from Wizards, but now with Duels 2013 rumoured to be on the horizon, there are sudden promises of improved communication for the future; sorry, but that just seems to reek of Wizards trying to get back peoples trust before the new game is released.  I will definately NOT be picking up the next installment at launch.  I will wait at least a month or so to see a)what the community says about bugs, and b) I will be watching these forums to see if the promises made here of improved communication are kept.  There is no way that I will pick up the next game unless there is improved communication coupled with ACTUAL action being taken to fix issues if/when they arise. 
meme incoming!

The messenger just took an arrow to the knee... lets not start personal insults, infuriating as this news may be.

That being said, I have to agree. You can take all the graphic effects in the world, put them on a pile of dung and you will still have a steaming pile of painted... dung. The rules of MTG are the intended rules for the DOTP games.

At least I hope they are. If nothing else, at least fix the rules. I can stand inconsistent leaderboards, a round timer that is too short for complicated gameplay (especially with multiple ETB effects), occasional sync issues and a crabshoot lobby (just give me a random-match to 1v1 only option, pref with random-deck-only ladder).

But I will ragequit when I loose because I make a play based on rules that don't work as they should. And give us a damn end-step, where opponent can no longer cast sorceries. End turn White Suns Zenith for 10 tokens, only to have opponent respond with Black Suns Zenith for 2 and wipe the board.... RAGE! Rules broken! (there are a ton of other better examples, but I'm not gonna list them here since it apparantly doesn't matter)

So - a plee. If you're not gonna fix the obvious mistakes in DoTP 2012, could you at least let seasoned players beta-test the next installment ? And if you did this with DotP2012, well, do it... better ? For lack of insight, I can't begin to guess why so many errors made it past testing.

With hopes of a better future, and more battles online.

Hey Everyone,

--Mike

Would you like to make any case for why I should bother buying a 2013 version of this game?
I expect it would be just as buggy and just as unsupported.
You're welcome to try to persuade me otherwise, but right now I'm leaning towards never buying any PS3 game your company releases.
@WotC_Microbless

Thanks for clearing things up.

Can you explain us how these changes in communication with the community look like?

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

@WotC_Microbless

Thanks for clearing things up.

Can you explain us how these changes in communication with the community look like?

I'm going to be working with Robvalue to provide an added layer of transparency to our processes, updates, etc. I have been working on drafting up how exactly this will work and what exactly we will be able to share. It just needs to go through approvals, legal, (the usual).

Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
@WotC_Microbless

That sounds very promising. I 'm really looking forward to see improvements between Wizards and their customers especially here on the forums.

Thanks for the news

You guys realize that Microbless isn't the guy responsible for all your problems, right? I know you are all frustrated, but personal attacks are a bit out of line and a wee bit classless.

I'd rather just say thanks for some news, however small, vague and bad it may be. At least he came here and said something, instead of just the constant silence.

And I'm hoping that the bugs you have been passing on are because they plan on fixing every last one of them in the next installment, at the very least. 
I've removed content from this thread because Harassment is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

You're welcome to disagree but please do so in a respectful way!

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the "Report Post" button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Thanks!
You guys realize that Microbless isn't the guy responsible for all your problems, right? I know you are all frustrated, but personal attacks are a bit out of line and a wee bit classless.

I'd rather just say thanks for some news, however small, vague and bad it may be. At least he came here and said something, instead of just the constant silence.

And I'm hoping that the bugs you have been passing on are because they plan on fixing every last one of them in the next installment, at the very least. 

^^^ This. I have a goatee and it's pretty damn cool!  ;>
I don't mind this at all. Just know Wizards just put themselves behind the 8 ball. 2013 is going to have to be good. Real good. Good luck!

For the record for you to consider, early news, screenshots, coming features, builds anticipation and helps bridge the gap. I understand some of the secrecy regarding new card sets??? But perhaps revealing some cards that already exist early would help. You know, throw a bone. Gonna drop some Shards of Alara from the past, reveal a little of that. My 2 cents.

Fixing bugs and optimizing the graphics engine and synching are automatic expectations.     
Not fixing a single gameplay/rules bug from this game is inexcusable.
You have a niche market with a console version of MTG, and let it die from lack of bug fixes...that is completely ridiculous.  So many paying customers are now turned off to your product- maybe you need to see hard numbers for things to register in your mind, and I pray that opening sales will be drastically lower for DotP 2013.  Maybe then there will be incentive to make a good game.
I told you, you want fixes, you have to pay for them, nice business model you have here WotC.

Also, I can't wait for my DotP 2013 discount, just like last year...

Oh wait...
I told you, you want fixes, you have to pay for them, nice business model you have here WotC.

Also, I can't wait for my DotP 2013 discount, just like last year...

Oh wait...

Oh come on... Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 costs $10. That's almost nothing compared to the content you get. By the way, you got a promo code for a card that's over $10

Oh come on... Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 costs $10. That's almost nothing compared to the content you get. By the way, you got a promo code for a card that's over $10

Actually, after the expansion and then 2 deck packs it was closer to $20. While I still got my money's worth for that price, it is rather absurd that there were clear, well-known, widely reported bugs that drastically impacted certain cards or other game play components that NOTHING was done about. When they have 3 updates just to sell us stuff (including a 1v1 game breaking deck. I don't really whine about stuff like this too bad but Be-noobed, I mean Beknighted COMPLETELY ruined 1v1 for me), but don't take the time to write relatively easy fixes that could have piggy backed on those updates?

C'mon. I get better updates from developers for the games on my iPod that cost $0.99 (or FREE) than did from this game that I paid 20x that cost for. Saying it's cheap shouldn't be an excuse, especially if WotC/Stainless really wants us to basically re-buy this game every year.

I'd say just let it go. I think everyone knew 2012 was done with Beknighted killing the perceived balance formany who love black. That's the modus operandi. Once a mega deck is released it's time to push the new version.

That's twice now. Third times the charm. I'm going to wait and see if bugs exist and if the initial decks are built around a single dominant color, bomb card(s) or bomb combos. Then I'm just not going to buy it if those things aren't fixed. There's a LOT of great games this year in all genres.

I am hopeful. Mike said they were working with Robvalue which is huge with regards to addressing bugs. There's really no other reason to do that. So, we'll see.     
@Morgan_X

Yeah DoTP: 2012 was too much about putting bombs on the board, a Grave Titan on the hand can easy decide a game. And the new knight deck have much more bombs. So it's more luck than in DoTP:2009, because it have weaker creatures overall. So many games are about to play or counter bombs from tribal decks. Not much fun...
I'd say just let it go. I think everyone knew 2012 was done with Beknighted killing the perceived balance formany who love black. 

I'm letting it go, I just thought Crazy Toast's comment was a little too apologetic for Stainless/WotC's efforts towards the game/community. It's sentiments like that they would tend to lead a company to think they can just repeatedly get away with lax quality control/community support.

And as for Beknighted, I wasn't even a black 1v1 player. I played Cloudburst for the most part in 1v1. I'd have loved to have tried Trinity in 1v1. I also liked Strength of Stone and Machinations in 1v1. My success rate wasn't great with CB or SoS but it wasn't bad and it was at least fun trying to figure out ways to win with those decks. The problem was any decks that had red, green, or black creatures had a tendency to get rolled by Protection from Your Entire Deck with double strike and +X/+X. That and any deck that didn't have instant speed creature removal had to face the very real threat of a Hexproof Knight Exemplar or even 2x Knight Exemplar. It basically forced me to play decks like Illusion or Wielding Steel, when I normally wouldn't, just to have any chance of being competitive.

Okay, I'm off my Beknighted rant, but it does raise another issue that I hope they resolve moving forward. I know this game is designed to be completely noob friendly for those not familiar with MtG. I haven't played the card game since they released Portal so I'd probably get stomped trying to build my own decks in like a MtG:O format unless I'm copying decks or just trying to have fun, so I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything, but decks like Beknighted and Blood Hunger are a little too noob friendly in my opinion. And 2009 had the same thing with Elves and then ultimately the Vamp deck too. Can't they give us more fun decks like Trinity, Cloudburst, Dark Heavens, Strength of Stone, or even like Mind of Void and Eons of Evil from 2009 where you have to think at least a little bit? Many of the top tier decks are just way too easy (i.e. play super mana efficient beat stick creatures [nighthawk, baneslayer, virtually anything in beknighted] and play the ocassional creature removal spell on your opponent's top tier creatures). I'd love to see more competitive control decks (I know RoI is control and that's how I play it, but even kids who don't understand control can still wreck with an army of undercosted, hex proof illusions) and decks that require a little pre-thought than just dropping ridiculous creatures that are supported by "Destroy/exile target creature" spells.  
Lol
@ScaryKoolaid

I wasn't on Wizards/Stainless side when I said $10 isn't much for the core game. I just found it a bit funny that people still remember the undefined bonus buyers of the first Duels of the Planeswalkers were promised sometime in March/April 2011.

I didn't mean that Wizards is an innocent angel. They ignore their official dotp forums, don't fix bugs and worse: copy the bugs they had in the first duels into 2012. They do not inform us with updates, future DLC (we had to find out the deck pack things by ourselves; there wasn't even a Wizards member here who created a Sticky Thread to inform us). The huge bug list thread didn't receive any updates after it reached countless replies and many more mistakes.

But I'm optmistic.
Hey, they work together with Robvalue. Tell me another person here who has a greater knowledge of the bugs in the game? See? Microbless promised improved communication between Wizards and the community. We have to wait and see what happens.

Personally, I'm very happy that they finally made a very clear statement: There won't be any updates to Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. I think we can look at this in two different ways:
1) Wizards/Stainless does not want to put more effort into this game. All bugs that have been reported will not be fixed.
2) Instead of fixing the current game, they can concentrate on the next Duels game and maybe all bugs that are reported for 2012 won't appear in the next game.

Again, I'm happy that finally after a long time Wizards made a clear, unmistakable message here which may be the beginning of a better future ( Wow that sounds epic  Laughing )

But we should be realistic about the real cost of the buggy product we paid for, because while the graphics engine underwent some refinements between 2009 and 2012, and the game was given a more "coherent" aesthetic feel, many of the errors surfaced in 2009 (Voice of All may be most egregious).  Indeed, some bad decisions were fixed in 2009 (the no double decking in 2HG change, for example) that were unfixed in 2012.  The first game had a few title updates, some expansions, and some serious balance issues, which then culminated in the MoS deck, effectively breaking multiplayer 1v1 games.  Then Wizards disappeared, and rumors began of a new Duels game in the works.

The second game's decks weren't hugely different from the first.  If anything, they had less variety, and despite greater editing, many of the cards were pointless, and some decks were clearly better designed and more powerful than others (RoI vs. the original SoS or Machinations decks, for example).  Since its launch, the second game has had one patch, which fixed something allready unfixed in the second game - showing opponent's deck while in lobby, and one minor fix to make sure that customers can buy stuff.  We need to remember that we were told, on those rare but multiple occasions in which they deign to visit the unwashed customer masses, that more fixes - a big update - was in the works.  This was either a deliberate lie or something that Wizards was never really that committed to, since it never happened.  If they were really planning it, if they had really set aside money for it, they would have done it.  They were already getting all the free playtesting and debugging they needed - oh wait, did I say free?  I meant a bunch of customers paid Wizards for the opportunity to playtest the game.  Since the one patch, and since the promise of more fixes, the game has seen an expansion and three new deck packs, which again culminated in a deck that effectively broke 1v1 multiplayer for most people.

So where are we now?  Bugs in the new version - many of which have existed in some form in the first game, bad design decisions that have continued from the first game (blocking timer vs. tokens, decks that are less varied in the second iteration of the game (lots of tribal) but that remain based on some of the deck templates from the first game), and a continued, even more egregious lack of customer support, with the possible addition of outright falsehoods.

Now, this game is fun, as I've always said, because Magic is a fun game, and this is as close as we're going to get for these platforms.  But given the reality of the production cycle, and given the reality that we've effectively paid for two games that are remarkably similar both in deck constuction and features and bugs, it makes far more sense to see the total cost of Duels not as 10 dollars (the base game of 2012), but instead as:

10 (base game of 2009)
15 (three expansion of 2009)
10 (base game of 2012)
5 (lone expansion of 2012)
9 (cost of three deck packs for 2012)

for a grand cost of 49 dollars,  barring any repeat purchases, foils, unlock keys, or sales.  So we're up to a retail title cost (Kinect or Wii, and just 10 dollars shy of a full PS3 OR Xbox 360 AAA title).  By the time the next one comes out, we'll have exceeded the cost of a full retail title.  I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I am suggesting three things:

1. Let's stop using the "it's only 10 dollar" canard.

2. We were either lied to about future customer support or Wizards decided their explicit statement regarding future game support was something they could just pretend didn't happen or didn't matter.  Why should we then trust this "new" claim about improved communication, or any other assurances that might attend the launch of 2013?  This "new communication" claim was first spoken about, by Wizards, over four months ago.  That was followed by four months of silence.  Communication must be really hard.

3. It's worth asking, after three and a half years, as the new game comes out, how long it takes to fix these bugs.  And it's further worth asking at what point do we admit, in the cycle of the game, that either a) Wizards is actually just mocking us from inside their offices as we continue to purchase substandard products, or b) Stainless cannot be trusted to develop a stable, tested build of a modern arcade game?

>> It's worth asking, after three and a half years<<

IMO, this is the most dangerous question for Wizards and the Magic Digital Franchise. For those that have supported them it's been a long frustrating wait to get things just right. And now it starts again with 2013. If it's the same frustrations, I think lasting damage will be done and many customers will be lost. Irreparable damage my be done to their digital reputation.

Wizard's is definitely behind the 8 ball here. They not only have to deliver a solid 2013, they have to deliver value to all the existing supporting customers who feel shortchanged after 3 years of faithful support.    
2) Instead of fixing the current game, they can concentrate on the next Duels game and maybe all bugs that are reported for 2012 won't appear in the next game.

why do we have to pay again for something we already bought?? wasnt D12 an improvement over D09 in the first place??? sure, we got core deck edition new game modes, online 2HG on different consoles, more DLC in less time. But some other things got worse (less variety of decks, less content per deck, zero bug fixes) or remained the same (synch issues).
In some ways, just charting Morgan X and I is telling.  When he and I started exchanging barbs, way back in the halcyon days of crap customer support for 2009, I was all: "Wizards cheated, lied, and built a crappy game.  Let's revolt!"  Morgan X was all: "The game is as awesome as we can expect in this format, Wizards is the cool, and we should just shut up and enjoy playing."

Now we're both: "Seriously, what the *obscenity* are the folks at Wizards and Stainless doing? And should we even bother caring at this point?"

So thank you and good job, Duels team.  You've helped bring us closer together.
^^^ True story! 
But we should be realistic about the real cost of the buggy product we paid for, because while the graphics engine underwent some refinements between 2009 and 2012, and the game was given a more "coherent" aesthetic feel, many of the errors surfaced in 2009 (Voice of All may be most egregious).  Indeed, some bad decisions were fixed in 2009 (the no double decking in 2HG change, for example) that were unfixed in 2012.  The first game had a few title updates, some expansions, and some serious balance issues, which then culminated in the MoS deck, effectively breaking multiplayer 1v1 games.  Then Wizards disappeared, and rumors began of a new Duels game in the works.

The second game's decks weren't hugely different from the first.  If anything, they had less variety, and despite greater editing, many of the cards were pointless, and some decks were clearly better designed and more powerful than others (RoI vs. the original SoS or Machinations decks, for example).  Since its launch, the second game has had one patch, which fixed something allready unfixed in the second game - showing opponent's deck while in lobby, and one minor fix to make sure that customers can buy stuff.  We need to remember that we were told, on those rare but multiple occasions in which they deign to visit the unwashed customer masses, that more fixes - a big update - was in the works.  This was either a deliberate lie or something that Wizards was never really that committed to, since it never happened.  If they were really planning it, if they had really set aside money for it, they would have done it.  They were already getting all the free playtesting and debugging they needed - oh wait, did I say free?  I meant a bunch of customers paid Wizards for the opportunity to playtest the game.  Since the one patch, and since the promise of more fixes, the game has seen an expansion and three new deck packs, which again culminated in a deck that effectively broke 1v1 multiplayer for most people.

So where are we now?  Bugs in the new version - many of which have existed in some form in the first game, bad design decisions that have continued from the first game (blocking timer vs. tokens, decks that are less varied in the second iteration of the game (lots of tribal) but that remain based on some of the deck templates from the first game), and a continued, even more egregious lack of customer support, with the possible addition of outright falsehoods.

Now, this game is fun, as I've always said, because Magic is a fun game, and this is as close as we're going to get for these platforms.  But given the reality of the production cycle, and given the reality that we've effectively paid for two games that are remarkably similar both in deck constuction and features and bugs, it makes far more sense to see the total cost of Duels not as 10 dollars (the base game of 2012), but instead as:

10 (base game of 2009)
15 (three expansion of 2009)
10 (base game of 2012)
5 (lone expansion of 2012)
9 (cost of three deck packs for 2012)

for a grand cost of 49 dollars,  barring any repeat purchases, foils, unlock keys, or sales.  So we're up to a retail title cost (Kinect or Wii, and just 10 dollars shy of a full PS3 OR Xbox 360 AAA title).  By the time the next one comes out, we'll have exceeded the cost of a full retail title.  I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I am suggesting three things:

1. Let's stop using the "it's only 10 dollar" canard.

2. We were either lied to about future customer support or Wizards decided their explicit statement regarding future game support was something they could just pretend didn't happen or didn't matter.  Why should we then trust this "new" claim about improved communication, or any other assurances that might attend the launch of 2013?  This "new communication" claim was first spoken about, by Wizards, over four months ago.  That was followed by four months of silence.  Communication must be really hard.

3. It's worth asking, after three and a half years, as the new game comes out, how long it takes to fix these bugs.  And it's further worth asking at what point do we admit, in the cycle of the game, that either a) Wizards is actually just mocking us from inside their offices as we continue to purchase substandard products, or b) Stainless cannot be trusted to develop a stable, tested build of a modern arcade game?

@kenrufo  

Everything you said is gold, and I completely agree.  I wish I had the penmenship you had, because that is exactly the feeling and what I was trying to portray in my forum.  Extremely well put.

While I am still not happy that support for this game has been dropped without it ever receiving a single bug fix, after thinking about this a little more, a method of communicating with Wizard/Stainless does create a chance for the next game to be something special - if they truly listen to the communities ideas aswell as the bug fixes.  

How many people on this forum have suggested methods for- improving the UI, manual land tapping, improving the stack order, including an end step,  varied and fun deck builds etc. etc. Now imagine if Wizards do truly start listening to the community and their ideas and implement these suggestions. Many of the above are things that go beyond what can be done with a patch for the current game as they would require significant changes to the inherrent game engine; they can however be implemented in the next game.  

I still won't be purchashing the next game at launch, I want to see if bugs are fixed and if this increased communication promise is kept.  However, here's hoping that now the wheels seem to be in motion for increased interaction between the community and Wizards, they will listen to the suggestions aswell as the bug fixes.  If they do, Duels 2013 could fufill the promise this game has and become something special.  Fingers crossed.
I think they should sack Stainless and get another developer to make the next Duels game, someone to give it a fresh new spin and hopefully do good job.
Sign In to post comments