AIM FOR THE HEAD

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sometimes, I just want to play Zombies and shoot someone in the head after they Wrath.
altars reap and korlash are pretty slow.

id rather pay 2 life than 3 mana my draw - if draw is what you need at all. with ghoulcallers in there you should be fine imo.

unbreathing horde i would prefer to korlash.

you're missing gempalm polluter 

tendrils is a slow stalling removal that doesnt fit the agro strategy. 
Have you considered Autocarding? Try this:
[Deck=Zambie Swarm]
4 Carnophage
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Death Baron
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
4 Ghoulcaller's Chant
4 Altar's Reap
4 Tendrils of Corruption
4 Corrupt
20 Swamp
[/Deck[/c]]Turns into...Corrupt is pretty slow, and there are better removal options than the Tendrils. Given that you currently have no 2 mana creatures, I'd remove the Corrupts and replace them with either [c]Blind Creepers, Highborn Ghouls, or Stromgald Crusaders. I'd also replace the Tendrils with Victim of Night, Rend Flesh, or similar. I'd also pump the land count to 22, replacing a pair of Ghoulcaller's Chants to do so.

I'd also consider replacing the Altar's Reaps with Sign In Bloods. Because Sign in Blood is amazing. Or just replace them with another two drop. Either option works well for you.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Korlash, Tendrils of Corruption, and Corrupt will never come out if you're only playing 20 lands.  For that kind of mana you ideally want to stick to 2 cmc max, though a few 3 cmc critters can be allowed.

If larger creatures are what you're looking for try Quest for the Gravelord.  It also neatly punishes Wrath players.

For creature kill I like Geth's Verdict, Go for the Throat, Doom Blade, Tragic Slip, Disfigure, Victim of Night, Kiku's Shadow, Grasp of DarknessFestering Goblin, and Marsh Casualties more than what you have right now for your amount of land.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

altars reap and korlash are pretty slow.

Korlash is land ramp.  I can sac Gravecrawlers to Reap to draw cards and just cast him again.
unbreathing horde i would prefer to korlash.

Korlash needs Swamps, I'd rather rely on my lands than Zombies...also, do people really not see the land ramp here?
tendrils is a slow stalling removal that doesnt fit the agro strategy. 

Pretty sure I've used Tendrils for a long time and it's pretty much never let me down.  Also, you aren't "getting" it.  The aggro is actually just a feint.  If I get there with attacking, sure, whatever...but when the ground gets gummed up I can just ramp with Korlash and Corrupt gets big.
Have you considered Autocarding?

Did I not spell it all right?  Did you not know what these cards are?  With my 5,000 some posts I figured you'd realize that I know.
Corrupt is pretty slow, and there are better removal options than the Tendrils. Given that you currently have no 2 mana creatures, I'd remove the Corrupts and replace them with either Blind Creepers, Highborn Ghouls, or Stromgald Crusaders. I'd also replace the Tendrils with Victim of Night, Rend Flesh, or similar. I'd also pump the land count to 22, replacing a pair of Ghoulcaller's Chants to do so.

Do we really not see the Korlash into Corrupt?
I'd also consider replacing the Altar's Reaps with Sign In Bloods. Because Sign in Blood is amazing. Or just replace them with another two drop. Either option works well for you.

You realize I can sac Crawler to Reap at instant speed and just recast Crawler...
Korlash, Tendrils of Corruption, and Corrupt will never come out if you're only playing 20 lands.  For that kind of mana you ideally want to stick to 2 cmc max, though a few 3 cmc critters can be allowed.

They will if I'm drawing cards via Reap and definitely will once a land a Korlash and Grandeur.

For some reference, this is actually an update to the deck in which I cut some 2CC spells for some more 1 CC zombies.  I haven't changed the land count, spells, or plan at all, just some cheaper zombies.
How is the draw power working out for you? I only ask because a lot of the reasons for having Korlash, tendrils, and corrupt kind of rely on not only each other, but making a land drop each and every turn. I do see that you have plenty of lands, and I like how korlash thins the deck, especially with the lord and chants, the goal of the deck flows nicely. Have you considered Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth? I only mention it because of the interaction between it and zombie master, which would provide some protection against the hoard of removal that is surely going to be pointed at korlash, but it also allows for easy swampwalking if corrupt is nowhere in sight.

The only thing I don't like is carnophage. It works, but isn't there anything better? Personally, I like Shepherd of Rot in its place. It makes it easier to dwindle the opponent's life down in time for a corrupt. Carrion feeder works well with gravecrawler. dregscape zombie can easily come back if it dies.

Just some thoughts.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
theres no such thing as a feint in a game of magic. sideboarding might be feint-like but in a single game everything relies much more on the boardsituation than eventualities.

what you have is not a feint but a strategy with another strategy glued onto it rather than integrated. and 4 korlash isnt ramp even with ghulcalle in there. 

if everything goes perfectly this deck will be quite good. more often than not it wont and you'll be unable to pull off an agro win and wont have the cards to get you the lategame win. 
How is the draw power working out for you? I only ask because a lot of the reasons for having Korlash, tendrils, and corrupt kind of rely on not only each other, but making a land drop each and every turn. I do see that you have plenty of lands, and I like how korlash thins the deck, especially with the lord and chants, the goal of the deck flows nicely. Have you considered Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth? I only mention it because of the interaction between it and zombie master, which would provide some protection against the hoard of removal that is surely going to be pointed at korlash, but it also allows for easy swampwalking if corrupt is nowhere in sight.

Haven't had a chance to play with it since the changes.  My casual decks are...extremely casual...as my playgroup only comes in three modes: Hardcore-EDH, Competitive Constructed and "LOL, Casual-Multi."

Other examples of my casual decks:

1. Forcing a concession from all players after getting 13+ copies of Lux Cannon in play and, instead of activating them, saying, "FIRE THE LASER" and playing All is Dust.  My deck was entirely colorless.

2. Playing a deck with Darkness, Innocent Blood, etc., to defend myself/turn on Pyromancer's Ascension so that I can simply EoT double Breath of Malfegor...untap, do it again.

3. Enchanted Evening...Echoing Calm/Scour...target=Lands.  Also, Auratog swinging in unblocked thanks to Temporal Isolation.

4. Suspend Greater Gargadon, accelerate it via Braid of Fire with fire-breathers equipped with Elemental Mastery and Pandemonium.  Also, Fatal Frenzy/Fling.  Okay, so this one is probably my most unpredicatable deck, but man it's fun.

5. Tons of eggs and only gold lands to cast Scarecrows and Reaperking.  If that doesn't work, Painter's Servant and Chaotic backlash tend to get things done.

6. Shivan Meteor an opponent's creature, flash in Ragged Veins in response.  (Haven't actually done this yet, but I will!).

7. Make tokens or sac life, to Fling or consume someone's face. Nether Traitor helps. High risk, high reward.

The only thing I don't like is carnophage. It works, but isn't there anything better? Personally, I like Shepherd of Rot in its place. It makes it easier to dwindle the opponent's life down in time for a corrupt. Carrion feeder works well with gravecrawler. dregscape zombie can easily come back if it dies.

Just some thoughts.

Feeder is certainly an option with Crawler, though I'd rather cut Diregraf Ghoul than Carnophage, he's the original man!
Honestly, I'd cut 1-2 of the Corrupt and all of the Tendrils, the reach of Corrupt is highly relavent, but since Tendrils only hits creatures and the swamp eruption is relatively low on this build, you're best without it. That said, I'd grind down the creature count and run Profane Command to compliment Korlash or provide emergency provisions. I really don't think this deck should rely on it's card advantage to win though, so a little less linearity might be for the best as well.

I'd probably also kick Carnophage to the curb and get a nicer 2-3 drop zombie in it's stead.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)