Be My Battery and similar powers question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently had a game where the effect of this power was questioned, and we were unable to reach a good answer. Would this power negate the damage from the attack that triggers it, or would the character just be immune from all other damage of that type, excluding the attack until their next turn?

The dissagreement comes from the ability's trigger being on taking damage, instead of being hit by the attack.

If anyone could clarify this, it would be great.

The text for Be My Battery:

BE MY BATTERY     ANDROID UTILITY
Encounter Dark
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You take electricity, fire, laser, or radiation damage
Effect: You gain immunity to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. You also gain temporary hit points equal to 10 + your Intelligence modifier.
Since it is an interrupt and not a reaction it would negate the damage.
Have to agree with serok42.
From Gamma World Rulebook page 17:

"Interrupt actions let you act before the triggering action is resolved. If the interrupt invalidates the triggering action, the action is lost. For example, if your interrupt power kills the triggering creature, the creature can't resolve the triggering action."

So the triggered action of gain immunity and temporary hit points occurrs before the damage that triggered it. Counterintuitive but the only way to make certain effects work.
Thanks alot for the replies.