Deliberately bad cards, but with broken potential.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm curious what sort of cards people can come up with that have very obvious, glaring drawbacks that provide potential for broken, overly complex Johnny combos.

This was originally going to be a submission for the alternate Blazes thread, but I reconsidered and it ended. I originally though that this card would need to be a finisher or you lose pretty much. Then I thought about it comboing with underworld dreams or Consecrated Sphinx.

I just think it's a fun thought experiment, to think of how something can be made to be intentionally bad instead of good, and still be playable.
One of the most blaitantly obvious that just has to be stated is the infamous One With Nothing paired with the hellbent mechanic. A really old card that seems to have too much of a drawback to be good but can be used to pull off some ridicilous things is Doomsday. I won't bother explaining the ways to abuse it. Instead, just look at this deck made for Legacy which won 6th place at Grand Prix Columbus 2010. Also, Leveler + Shared Fate is always a fun combo and makes leveler's usually too horrid to bear drawback a big slap in the face for your opponent.

Oh..and a free cyber-cookie to the diabolical mastermind who can find a way to abuse Sky Swallower.
Inception
Instant
Search target opponent's library for a card and put it into that player's hand. That player shuffles his or her library.

This is one of my favourite of my own designs. Most obvious use would be Sen Triplets.
blah blah metal lyrics
Oh..and a free cyber-cookie to the diabolical mastermind who can find a way to abuse Sky Swallower.

Abyssal Persecutor immediately jumps to mind there, but I assume you would like an invention. So here you go:

Into the Infinite Void|
Enchantment
Hexproof, Vanishing 10
When ~ enters the battlefield, all players exile their hands and graveyards. At the end of each turn, all players exile all cards in their hand.

If ~ had no time counters when it was sent to the graveyard, it's controller loses the game.

Sacrifice five non-enchantment, non-land permanents: Target opponent gains control of ~.

Personally, I'm a fan of Brooding Saurian (they curve nicely together).  Brand also works.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Or bronze bombshell
IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/WildGuess.jpg)

Freedom Fight
Enchantment 
Whenever a player gains control of a permanent you control, that player loses 5 life.  
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/Chronostasis.jpg)
Desertion -

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Creature you own

Enchanted creature has no controller.  
Oh, I kinda like that. Even if it may only function to remove creatures that have been stolen from you from the game, however temporarily.

Here's another I thought up, kind of like a reverse Praetor's Grasp:

IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/FierceGaze.jpg)
I can't remember where exactly, but someone wanted to see a card based on the Prisoner's Dilemma, and I'm having alot of trouble wording it correctly or succinctly, but I have something of a rough draft idea:

IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/TraitorAmongUs-1.jpg)

And for people that can't read the small text, that is:

Traitor Among Us

Each player writes on a piece of paper either “Traitor” or “Saint”. Players then reveal their papers simultaneously.
If all players chose “Saint” then each player gains 10 life. If all players chose “Traitor” then each player loses 5 life.
If the vote is not unanimous, then each player that chose “Saint” loses 5 life and each player that chose “Traitor” gains life equal to the amount lost this way, divided between each player that chose “Traitor” rounded down

I'd love to see more multiplayer elements like this myself.
I can't remember where exactly, but someone wanted to see a card based on the Prisoner's Dilemma, and I'm having alot of trouble wording it correctly or succinctly, but I have something of a rough draft idea:

And for people that can't read the small text, that is:

Traitor Among Us

Each player writes on a piece of paper either “Traitor” or “Saint”. Players then reveal their papers simultaneously.
If all players chose “Saint” then each player gains 10 life. If all players chose “Traitor” then each player loses 5 life.
If the vote is not unanimous, then each player that chose “Saint” loses 5 life and each player that chose “Traitor” gains life equal to the amount lost this way, divided between each player that chose “Traitor” rounded down

I'd love to see more multiplayer elements like this myself.

Wow, that's epic. You should let the folks in the Rules Theory and Templating forum take some shots at making the wording a little more concise. But otherwise, fantastic card idea.
based on goblin game, archangel of strife, and howltooth hollow

Each player secretly chooses traitor or saint, then all players reveal their choice simultaneously. If each player chose traitor, each player loses 5 life. Otherwise, if each player chose saint, each player gains 10 life. Otherwise, each player who chose saint loses 5 life, and each player who chose traitor gains life equal to the life lost this way divided by the number of players who chose traitor, rounded down.

that's the best you can do.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

While its cool to see the prisoners dilemma as a card the downside isn't really that bad.  Each player losing 5 life is pretty powerful on its own for 3 mana, and imo is preferable to the "upside" outcome. 
"Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties." - catowner
While its cool to see the prisoners dilemma as a card the downside isn't really that bad.  Each player losing 5 life is pretty powerful on its own for 3 mana, and imo is preferable to the "upside" outcome. 

That's really the problem with the effect, I think. In the original Prisoner's Dilemma, just thinking about it for a second and you can tell that picking traitor is strictly superior to picking saint, if only because the payoff's are more guaranteed and push you towards what you actually want anyway. So I'm not sure how to resolve the issue without making the card overcosted, or cranking the stakes of the choice up to suicidal levels.

I'm not sure if these are worded correctly, but I think everyone should understand:

IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/TruthorDare-1.jpg)
IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/DisastrousChicken.jpg)
The End -
Instant
Reduce target opponent's life to 0. You lose the game.

"Um, well now, I guess that's game."
The End -
Instant

The End -
Instant

This is actually one sided suicide because your opponent wouldn't lose the the game until state based actions are checked, which isn't until after you lose as an effect of the spell
"Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties." - catowner
Let's just get more straightforward with the badness:

Suicide -
Instant
You lose the game.
Let's just get more straightforward with the badness:

Suicide -
Instant
You lose the game.

Hive Mind. Opponent's resolves first.
IMAGE(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1374/linkaraemrakul.png)
The End -
Instant

This is actually one sided suicide because your opponent wouldn't lose the the game until state based actions are checked, which isn't until after you lose as an effect of the spell

Yeah, the only way this card would work is with a Platinum Angel or a spell like Angel's Grace. They're very outlandish combos, and that's why the card is so deliberately bad, but with a broken potential.
Let's see....

Gix's Will

Instant
"Sacrifice a permanent"

And...

Bracer of Gix

Artifact
": Sacrifice a permanent"

Actually, that last one could be extremely good with a lot of temporary theft effects floating around.  I have at least one deck that already Trinket Mages for Claws of Gix and would replace it with this in a heartbeat.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Zedruu, possibly alongside Repercussion.

I'll take mine in chocolate.

Renege :U:
Instant
Counter target spell you control. Draw two cards.

-under normal circumstances this would act as a rather disapointing card filtering spell.
I could see it being a good play if you're spell was already being countered though.

Lich's Bargain :B:
Enchantment
Flash
When ~ enters the batlefield your life total becomes 0.
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life except during a player's endstep.

- I suppouse this works if you have the right lifegain effect but it's awfully risky.
Would be very good with Sundial of the Infinite. Somewhat redundant with Platinum Emperion but he gets over the effect.
Desertion -

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Creature you own

Enchanted creature has no controller.  

WTF?
Let's see....

Gix's Will

Instant
"Sacrifice a permanent"

And...

Bracer of Gix

Artifact

Actually, that last one could be extremely good with a lot of temporary theft effects floating around.  I have at least one deck that already Trinket Mages for Claws of Gix and would replace it with this in a heartbeat.

Have you considered using Greater Gargadon for that deck? It's surprisingly fun to steal your opponent's creatures, attack with them, and then sacrifice them to summon a giant hasty elephant.*

(*Not actually an elephant.) 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Let's see....

Gix's Will

Instant
"Sacrifice a permanent"

And...

Bracer of Gix

Artifact

Have you considered using Greater Gargadon for that deck? It's surprisingly fun to steal your opponent's creatures, attack with them, and then sacrifice them to summon a giant hasty elephant.*

(*Not actually an elephant.) 

I have considered using it, but eventually decided against it.  The deck is basically about getting out as many copies and clones of Dominus of Fealty as possible.  It goes for multiplayer longevity more than anything, meaning that the Gargadon unsuspends well before I want it to.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black