Time Spiral block draft

319 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to say Avalanche Riders.

L1 Judge

Come on people, let's go for Slivers for the win.  Gemhide Sliver nothing else will do.
Come on people, let's go for Slivers for the win.  Gemhide Sliver nothing else will do.

I'm cool with Slivers, since I'm not sure if we think we'll find enough Goblins to make Ib useful.

Is Gemhide a better pick in this hand than Fury?

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

Is Gemhide a better pick in this hand than Fury?

Yes, the best sliver decks are usually 3 colours so getting fixing and a creature early on is the best option.

OK, Gemhide

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Careful Consideration - I think it's good and safer possibility than force Slivers from P1P1.
Avalanche Riders.  Slivers can be fun, but they aren't my favorites.

t~
Where is your sense of adventure.  Lobster, help me out here.
Detainment Spell for me.  It's effectively removal for some creatures, and can be saved for later if they chump block with the guy.
Avalanche Riders and Gemhide Sliver aren't far behind.
Detainment Spell for me.  It's effectively removal for some creatures, and can be saved for later if they chump block with the guy.
Avalanche Riders and Gemhide Sliver aren't far behind.

I don't agree with this as it doesn't stop them attacking or blocking so I think it is pretty weak.
Picking Avalanche Riders just seems wrong, Ib is better if we want to be Red.

I want the Gemhide though, since Falcon asked so nicely and we're not ending up picking Ib anyways...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I don't remember much of what was in the block, but I was thinking of utility creatures that typically don't want to attack or block.  Taking away a 1/1's tap ability turns it into a chump blocker, at which point you can move the enchantment to any creature just to keep it around.
Ib makes his own goblins!
guys let's be honest.

we're forcing slivers.

gemhide.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Avalanche Riders are pretty boss
Fury Sliver doesn't need other slivers around to be good. We may need the mana fixing, but for now, I take the sliver that can win the game for me. It's also an uncommon, while Gemhide is a common. We're not likely to see another Fury, we have a better chance of another Gemhide coming along.
Okay people we are going Slivers! 

This one is a tough pick, the contenders are:

Acid-Moss - land destruction and acceleration rolled into one.
Drakeling - an early flyer that doubles as a sealed counterspell.
Griffin Guide - an enchantment that replaces itself with a 2/2 flyer.
Watcher Sliver - another solid sliver that goes well with Gemhide and keeps us in the best colours for sliver (Naya).

I always think it is important to follow a theme but not be a slave to it.  Of these four, Watcher Sliver is the weakest and wont push anyone into Slivers so we can ignore it.  For me, it therefore comes to a straight fight between Acid-Moss and Griffin Guide.

I remember that Griffin Guide was one of the best cards in the set and is therefore my choice here.
Griffin Guide.  But I won't be forcing slivers unless we have several picks committed to it.

t~
Guide. Wheeling Ultimus or the Sliver would be ideal.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I also take Griffin Guide.
If we're trying to push for Slivers, wouldn't Living End be ideal?

That's really just a curiosity question.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
The best selection of slivers is r/g/w.  You can get some good picks out of blue and black too (necrotic says hi), but they don't have the raw punch of Sinew, Gemhide, Two-headed, and Fury.  Also, Slivers rely on having a bloated, overextended board.  In limited, this can work.  you jsut keep laying creatures, and most opponents will have insufficent removal and choke on it. Living end is double black (bad) and takes three turns of setup -- it won't save you fast enough if you get wrathed, and if most of your slivers aren't dead, you don't want it hanging over your head.

Personally, I'd take the Watcher Sliver and hope to wheel the Ultimus.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

p1p1 i would've taken ib, which makes an easy empty the warrens pick here, but alas this is not the case. but griffin guide seems nuts anyway. hopefully mistform ultimus wheels.
Watcher Sliver. FORCE LIKE A CHAMP.

Thanks for the insight Tevish.  As you can probably guess, my initial train of thought was, "even if we both get the same number of creatures back, if all of mine are slivers, I'm probably in the better board position."  But I was not aware of the prefered Sliver colors for the TS block.

Griffin Guide.  But I won't be forcing slivers unless we have several picks committed to it.

Griffin Guide for the 2 for 1.  But I expect to have several following picks committed to slivers; the sooner we have more slivers, the better.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Okay people we are going Slivers! 

I don't see how we could live with ourselves if we draft a sliver deck and miss out on the Mistform Ultimus.
It's bad though, so I suppose we can expect to see it back.  Griffin sounds good.

I don't see how we could live with ourselves if we draft a sliver deck

Wink
Right people, it is time to say on course, say neigh to the naysayers and determine that this draft, from the hundreds we have done on this forum (thanks CG) will be fun, exciting and, of course, successful. 

Here, there are a number of possible picks:

Durkwood Baloth (for those who like green fatties)
Flowstone Channeler (for those who like to kill weenies)
Thallid Shell-Dweller (for those who like fun guys)
Goblin Skycutter (for those who don't like flyers)
Ancestral Vision (for those who really want to own a power 9 card but can't quite afford it).

But, better than all of these is Bonesplitter Sliver.
If we had picked up Ultimus I would be all over that Kobold Taskmaster.  But I guess Bonesplitter will do.
I think we need to split some bones. But passing Visions sucks.
Bonesplitter Sliver is one of the essential parts of a good sliver deck, because it is a sliver that gives a p/t boost.  I hope we get watcher back, because durability is also important, but I suppose if we don't we don't

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

bonesplitter sliver.
Durkwood Baloth (only need 5 more people to agree!).

(man, it looks like slivers....)
Sliversliverslivers.
Right people, it is time to say on course, say neigh to the naysayers and determine that this draft, from the hundreds we have done on this forum (thanks CG) will be fun, exciting and, of course, successful. 

Here, there are a number of possible picks:

Durkwood Baloth (for those who like green fatties)
Flowstone Channeler (for those who like to kill weenies)
Thallid Shell-Dweller (for those who like fun guys)
Goblin Skycutter (for those who don't like flyers)
Ancestral Vision (for those who really want to own a power 9 card but can't quite afford it).

But, better than all of these is Bonesplitter Sliver.

this is how a quality post is made.

Bonesplitter

But I wouldn't mind to get the Baloth.
Perhaps someone else has cottoned on to our sneaky sliver strategy?

At least this is an easy pick, Rift Bolt is solid removal in our colours.  A couple of nice blue being passed, which should mean that we are not cut too badly in the next pack.
Sign In to post comments