Languages help?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm building an avenger with an undead hunter backstory. What language (if there is one) are undead creatures/necromancers likely to speak? I'm thinking either abyssal or deep speech but my lore knowledge is weak, so I came here.
Abyssal is for demons or devils (I forget which), and Deep Speech is an Underdark thing.

There really isn't a 'necromancer' language; it depends entirely on what race the necromancer is, or what race the undead was when it was alive.  An elven necromancer would speak Elven, a dwarven vampire would speak Dwarven (in addition to Common in both cases, of course).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure whether there was some secret language that a necromancer might speak.
You can always collaborate with the DM and say that things of a necromantic nature speak a specific necrotic language, much as Druids know Druidic. You could name such a language (and I'm being very creative) Nekron or something.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Druids know Druidic.

Not anymore they don't.
Druids know Druidic.

Not anymore they don't.

It's with Thieves' Cant, Drow Hand Signs, and gork-knows what else under the Secret Language. Simply acquire said language and talk to your DM about the Language Mortis or something. It's a neat idea too, mind if I steal it?
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Druids know Druidic.

Not anymore they don't.

It's with Thieves' Cant, Drow Hand Signs, and gork-knows what else under the Secret Language. Simply acquire said language and talk to your DM about the Language Mortis or something. It's a neat idea too, mind if I steal it?

Go for it.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't things of hideously evil nature like necromancers speak Dark Speech? Or was that just 3.5?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't things of hideously evil nature like necromancers speak Dark Speech? Or was that just 3.5?

Dark Speech does not exist as a language in 4e.
I've always assumed that Draconic is the default language of magic, especially as presented as a bonus language option for various magic-related themes. 
You can always collaborate with the DM and say that things of a necromantic nature speak a specific necrotic language, much as Druids know Druidic. You could name such a language (and I'm being very creative) Nekron or something.

The dictionary of such a language might be called 'the Necronomicon.'

The dictionary of such a language might be called 'the Necronomicon.'

> I've always assumed that Draconic is the default language of magic, especially
> as presented as a bonus language option for various magic-related themes.

This was the case in 3E. I haven't seen anything to suggest that it is in 4E, and its appearance in several magical and scholastic themes seems to be based more on the impact that Arkhosia had on the default setting's history (with dragonborn being one of the world's more magically-adept races).
In Dark Sun, draconic is "an artificial tongue devised to serve as the language of arcane magic",
so it is a legitimate choice for a necromancer. However, it might be more fun from a roleplaying point of view to use Common words to indicate something other than what they normally mean (for instance, refering to a necormancer as "one of us" or something similar. This would allow your necromancer to talk with others of a similar mind set without needing to use a language other than Common (which may or may not be known by the other party) while being sure that even if he/she is overheard, their conversation won't stir up trouble. This differs from a language like Theives Cant in that it is not a separate language, just a slightly different Common.
Sign In to post comments