Best heroic powers, advise wanted

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you could build a level 11 character by choosing powers from all available class powers, what powers would you pick? This also means encounter and daily powers. No paragon path allowed, since you're using paragon multiclassing. Bonus points if your character fills a certain roll exceptionally well thanks to your combination of powers. 

For the sake of this question, you're allowed to ignore differences in stats. For example, you can pick WIS, CON and INT powers for your character without worrying that it's not gonna be effective. 

(I'm building a half-elf Combat Virtuoso with paragon multiclassing, and I'm looking for some inspiration)
Twin Strike and... Twin Strike.  Also, Twin Strike.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Isn't that asking about what 3 powers work best together?(dilettante+swapped power from any+class at-will remaining)

I would pick Twin Strike+Throw&Stab+Righteous Brand w/Power of Skill. That lets you act as either a Striker or Striker/Leader character depending on what's most needed at that point.
Thanks so far. To clarify: I'm not just looking for at-will powers. Twin Strike is pretty much a given, but what encounter and daily powers would you use to back it up? 

Also, if you don't go the striker route, what at-will powers would you choose? 
Thanks so far. To clarify: I'm not just looking for at-will powers. Twin Strike is pretty much a given, but what encounter and daily powers would you use to back it up? 

Also, if you don't go the striker route, what at-will powers would you choose? 

Twin Strike - immediate actions. Dimensional Vortex is always fun. Rhyme of the Bloodseeking Blade if you're a Bard.

I'd look at the various at-will expansion options via Enlarge Spell. I did something with Freezing Burst here though that's very much so a conceptual build - the point is to be a White Wolf who has freezing breath that it can hurl every round.
1: Righteous Brand with Power of Skill (Cleric)
1: Twin Strike (Ranger)
1: Blunder (Bard)
1: Phantom Chasm (Wizard)
2: Invigorating Stride (Ranger)
3: Rain of Blows (Fighter)
5: Rain of Steel (Fighter) or Spitting-Cobra Stance (Ranger)
6: Wrath of the Gods (Paladin)
7: Charm Beast (Druid) or Rain of Blood (Invoker)
9: Mirage Arcana (Wizard)
10: Ethereal Sidestep (Warlock) or Persistent Tail (Skill) or Illusory Wall (Wizard)     
Another fun one might be something like:

Theme: Sohei
At-Will: Eldritch Strike (Warlock)
Encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike (Ranger)
Daily 1: Forst Backlash (Swordmage)
Utility 2: Host of Shields (Swordmage)
Encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex (Swordmage)
Daily 5: Tyrannical Threat (Warlock)
Utility 6: Fey Switch or Armathor's Step
Encounter 7: Ruffling Sting (Ranger)
Daily 9:
Utility 10: Impenetrable Warding (Swordmage)

Spiked Chain/Flail Expertise/Headsman's Chop, prone everything and hit it while it's down with a minor.
You could focus on immediates and minors to fill out the list, since your at-wills are buff as it is.

Low Slash for E3, Touch of Command is a sexy, sexy power for E7, though it's competing with Charm Beast. 

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
This is what I've got so far at 11: 

Show

Half-elf Warlock|Bard/Ranger

Stats: 
STR 8, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18

Theme: the one from HotEC that gives you ki focus proficiency. 

At-wills:
Eldritch Strike
Throw and Stab (Dilettante)
Dual Weapon Attack (paragon multiclassing)

Encounters:  
1 - Off-hand Strike (multiclass, replacing Blunder)
3 - Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade
7 - Touch of Command
11 - Rain of Blood, Charm Beast or Dimensional Vortex (paragon multiclassing)

Dailies: 
1 - Decree of Khirad
5 - Song of Discord
9 - Snarling Wolf Stance (multiclass)

Feats: 
1 - Ki Focus Expertise
2 - Combat Virtuoso
4 - Warrior of the Wild
6, 8, 10 - Novice, Acolyte, Adept Power
11 - Versatile Master 

Items: 1 Farbond Spellblade, 1 off-hand weapon. 

This character can attack 3 times at-will, has minor and immediate encounter powers and the dailies dominate or provide a good stance. Implement issues are solved through the use of a ki focus. 
You have interesting options for the "free" level 11 encounter power. You can either choose an encounter dominate, an interrupting redirection, or an area burst vulnerable 5 all which you then follow up with action point -> 4 attacks (your 3 at-wills and your minor action encounter). 

Suggestions? Can we take this in another direction and build a versatile controller, defender or leader?

[spoiler]

Stats: 

At-wills:
Eldritch Strike

That doesn't quite work - as a hybrid, you need a power in each class for each category. i.e. you need a Bard at-will.
A StarLock with Frigid Darkness E3 doesn't do so much damage by himself, but he makes holes in the target's AC and so puts a big neon "Kick Me" sign on the poor bastard until EoYNT.  Needs CON to-hit and INT secondary.  Might be a good power for an attack-enabling leader.

Druids get a D5 power - Vine Serpents? - that is basically "wrap the bad guy in a WWF cage match so your ranged allies can get into an artillery duel with him; he will get hurt if he shoots back or leaves the cage."  Especially good if you also have a push/slide at-will (Chill Wind) to put him back in the cage.
     For more fun, there is a Druid D1 that slows everybody in its zone and sucks one target back in should he escape.  AP and drop both Dailies on the same spot/enemy solo.  (Full Disclosure: borrowed idea)  Position control extraordinaire.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

[spoiler]

Stats: 

At-wills:
Eldritch Strike

That doesn't quite work - as a hybrid, you need a power in each class for each category. i.e. you need a Bard at-will.

You trade out Grab for the PMC at-will.  Or Bull Rush.  Who uses Bull Rush?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A cool build (besides the striker) could be a leader-controller who dishes out dominates left and right. Dominate is a rare status effect before mid-paragon, but some classes have it. I'm thinking something like this: 

Half-Elf Warlock|Bard/Wizard with Versatile Master and Combat Virtuoso

A1: Hypnotism (Wizard, Dilettante)
A1: Staggering Note (Bard)
A1: Any Warlock power
E1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath (Wizard)
D1: Decree of Khirad (Warlock)
U2: Shield (Wizard)
E3: Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade (Bard)
D5: Song of Discord (Bard)
U6: Revitalizing Incantation (Bard)
E7: Touch of Command (Warlock)
D9: Summon Succubus (Wizard)
U10: Ethereal Sidestep (Warlock)
E11: Charm Beast (Druid, available through paragon multiclassing and Versatile Master) 
U12: Wrath of the Gods (Paladin, available through paragon multiclassing and Versatile Master)

You use Charisma for all your attacks, and you let enemies do your damage rolls for you. Seems like a very fun character to start out paragon with.
I'm thinking something like this: 

A1: Any Warlock power

Dire Radiance.  Let the enemy get some experience in having decisions made for him: if he gets closer to you, he eats more damage.  If he is a melee artist, you can protect your whole group by hanging back.

I have used DR at one Battle Interactive to persuade an ogre to NOT charge the Ranger who was killing him with arrows from range = 5.  Because we were all three on a castle wall and my Starlock was behind the Ranger.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign