The Map Packs

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am I the only one who isn't buying the map packs because I own so many of the old battle maps?

The "formula" for map packs seems to be 6 recycled from out of print sources rangin from the Fantastic Locations Maps to the H-P-E series, to 2 new maps.

I love the idea of the product but this kills it for me.

Any chance of rejiggering that formula to give us long time battle map collectors some love?
Am I the only one who isn't buying the map packs because I own so many of the old battle maps? The "formula" for map packs seems to be 6 recycled from out of print sources rangin from the Fantastic Locations Maps to the H-P-E series, to 2 new maps. I love the idea of the product but this kills it for me. Any chance of rejiggering that formula to give us long time battle map collectors some love?

I agree with you totally, but I love battlemaps so much I bought the first product even though I already had the non-new maps. Was it worth it? The new cathedral/chapel maps are spectacular so yes, it was worth it for me. But the new maps in the next pack had better be just as good or I'll be steering clear of it. I only have so much disposable money and these map packs are just on the tipping point of what I can justify spending money on.
I'd prefer if going forward the map packs join into 1 or 2 large encounter areas per sides of the the 3 maps.

Also, a lot of wasted white space on the inside covers. Adding suggested encounters for the 3 tiers would have added extra value at little cost.
If you're reading this there's a good chance you should be wearing a helmet, consequently I really can't bring myself to care about your opinion.
I guess if you already own a lot of them then there isn't much point, but for people newer to the game  it's a great opportunity to own some previously out of print poster maps. :-)

I wish they'd re-issue some older dungeon tiles as well! 
I guess if you already own a lot of them then there isn't much point, but for people newer to the game  it's a great opportunity to own some previously out of print poster maps. :-)

I wish they'd re-issue some older dungeon tiles as well! 

That's my position.

But dungeon tiles are far more versatile than the battle maps. For quick and dirty encounters I might be interested in the maps.
Am I the only one who isn't buying the map packs because I own so many of the old battle maps?

I have the same problem. The two new maps that Chris Perkins designed for the first pack are truly awesome, but I'm reluctant to buy the whole pack to get them.

I'm kinda hoping to them for sale separately on EBay.
Why didn't they pack the new maps in a separate map pack and the reprints in another one? I won't buy any because I already have the old ones.
I bought the map pack but it's annoying 4 of the 6 are reprints. 
Anyone have any ideas for modding the reprints? Say, colour-photocopying dungeon tiles onto them, or cutting them up and pasting them onto thin cardboard to make your own dungeon tiles?

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I just been 'modding' them by folding them in various ways and putting dungeon tiles on top of them. That worked well enough for my purposes.
Dungeon tiles are a great way to modify battle maps. I actually did that this weekend while running AGLA1-7 for LFR. I noticed one of the wilderness maps I have was very similar to the map for the second encounter in that module sans the stone circle for the ritual. So I dropped my stone circle dungeon tile on the map and added some large miniatures for statues. It was perfect.

I think the reprints are great for folks who were never able to pick up these maps in the first place. I also think they are great for people replacing damaged maps. I wrote a review on the product.
Yeah I want the maps to replace my old ones (actually they are fine just that I want to use them a little rougher and have replacements).
Don't mind it. I don't have some of these maps, so it's ok that they are a combo of new and old. WHAT I would like better is if they were coated/printed in a similar way to Paizo's map packs, which can take a hit from liquid and be written on with a wet erase pen...