Is satan In D&D?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK!!!! Frist this is not a religious question in anyway!!! I treat this like a game and that it! Im asking if hes real in the game because my friends dad told me about him and he can give you three wishes and well good stuff I just wanted to know where he come out of in what book talks about him thats DnD related I dont want to be going to some satanic site or something like that LOL! so please if you know help me out.
Wishes?... I think he might have been talking about Pazuzu? One of the demon lords. I haven't seen him in 4E, but in 3.5 I'm pretty sure that he was in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Asmodeus has been part of D&D since the 1970's.
Its not asmo I know hes been around for a long time. My friends Dad has a Dragon magazine volume 2 from november 1981 and it talks about him Big D and I just want to know if he came out of anywhere else?
Are you speaking of Satan, as in, the Judeo-Christian model of the "opposer" of God?

No, he's not in D&D.

D&D does not involve direct references to current real-world religions.  That would be not only offensive, but create bad PR for the D&D brans, as well as everyone who plays it.
Yes, an issue of Dragon magazine in 1979 (then reprinted in Best of Dragon 2) did indeed write up Satan, Belial & Astaroth as 1E monsters. Your should talk about them in the Previous Editions forums.
OK!!!! Frist this is not a religious question in anyway!!! I treat this like a game and that it! Im asking if hes real in the game because my friends dad told me about him and he can give you three wishes and well good stuff I just wanted to know where he come out of in what book talks about him thats DnD related I dont want to be going to some satanic site or something like that LOL! so please if you know help me out.

If you feel that Satan is a prince of lies and goes by different names, you could easily reflavor Asmodeus as Satan. Starting with the 2e Book of Hell he became a deity. 4e went with him being the servant of a powerful deity that he betrayed and killed.

3e had a 3pp book called the Encyclopedia of Demons and Devils (they also had an Encyclopedia of Angels) with (poorly written) stats for many historical demons/devils including Lucifer. The stats were not handled well at all (Asmodeus and Lucifer were weaker than a Balor or Pit Fiend) but it included a lot of good fluff.

Satanic sites aren't likely to help you anyway. People that claim to worship the Christian devil figure of Satan are usually angsty teenagers that have no idea what they are talking about and are just trying to piss off their parents. Actual Satanic religions have little or nothing to do with the Christian Satan.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Im asking if hes real in the game

Nope.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I definately agree that things from the real-world especially concerning religion should be kept entirely out of the game. I'm Christian myself and have been asked several times if i have conflicts playing D&D.
One i consider real life....the other is a game, period. I don't mix the two in any fashion concerning this issue, as we are gathered for entertainment and enjoyment....not to get somebody mad or upset or even feelng ridiculed in some fashion b/c they have a religion at the table that no other player has and may feel singled out over something they are quite passionate about.

thoughts for thought 
I definately agree that things from the real-world especially concerning religion should be kept entirely out of the game. I'm Christian myself and have been asked several times if i have conflicts playing D&D.
One i consider real life....the other is a game, period. I don't mix the two in any fashion concerning this issue, as we are gathered for entertainment and enjoyment....not to get somebody mad or upset or even feelng ridiculed in some fashion b/c they have a religion at the table that no other player has and may feel singled out over something they are quite passionate about.

thoughts for thought 

It's definitely a matter of personal taste, but I personally feel that those who want to add in real world aspects can easily do it on their own or it can be handled by a 3rd party publisher. Adding it into the core books will just turn a lot of people off, because as you said you don't play a fantasy game to simulate real life.

Besides, doesn't D&D get enough crap from crazies that insist it is satanic without actually putting satan into the game?
Nope, he/it/whatever isn't in the game. D&D's base setting has an entirely different cosmology. There isn't a heaven and there isn't a hell. Well, there are nine hells but it's not 'hell' in real world Christian terms.

D&D's cosmology is based losely on christian dogma of angels and demons, heaven (astral plane) hell (nine hells), the ideas of good and evil, etc. But that's the extent of it. It also is up to the DM and the group really on what you use. I myself differ greatly from western ideas of good and evil, heaven and hell so my cosmology is much more alien in intelligence and moral then strait good vs evil stuff.
Nope, he/it/whatever isn't in the game. D&D's base setting has an entirely different cosmology. There isn't a heaven and there isn't a hell. Well, there are nine hells but it's not 'hell' in real world Christian terms.

Although if you really wanted to, you could go through the entire Bible and pick out *every* name that is commonly interpreted as being the Christian Satan, and put the entire lot of them as separate beings into a single D&D pantheon.

But it would be homebrewed. Very few of them have ever gotten writeups, and if you want writeups from just one edition you have even thinner pickings.

(I'd put Lucifer as Lawful Good; the guy who tempted Job as Chaotic Neutral; the guy who tempted Jesus as probably Lawful Evil...)

D&D's cosmology is based lossely on christian dogma of angels and demons, heaven (astral plane) hell (nine hells), the ideas of good and evil, etc. But that's the extent of it.

"Loosely" doesn't even begin to cover it. More like Christian dogma is one of the six largest influences...

It also is up to the DM and the group really on what you use. I myself differ greatly from western ideas of good and evil, heaven and hell so my cosmology is much more alien in intelligence and moral then strait good vs evil stuff.

Details?

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Dungeons and Dragons: Satan's game. Straight from the Dead Alewives. All the proof you need. 
Dungeons and Dragons: Satan's game. Straight from the Dead Alewives. All the proof you need. 

I haven't watched that in a while......

(I'd put Lucifer as Lawful Good;

Oh, Warrl, I would love to hear your justification on this. I mean, I don't have any theological background here aside from knowing Lucifer was like the "leader" of the fallen angels and whatnot, but Lawful Good? That's the sort of thing that would make a hardcore alignment hound froth at the mouth until he drowns in it. I must know more.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Oh, Warrl, I would love to hear your justification on this. I mean, I don't have any theological background here aside from knowing Lucifer was like the "leader" of the fallen angels and whatnot, but Lawful Good? That's the sort of thing that would make a hardcore alignment hound froth at the mouth until he drowns in it. I must know more.

Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread here but there it is actually a matter of debate as to whether or not Lucifer even was an angel at all (the name is only mentioned once in the Bible and the only details given are calling him a king of babylon and describing a fall from grace). However, I do recall hearing about a small religion in Iraq (one of my buddies was in an area that contained one of their churches) that prayed to him. According to him they believed that they were in the exact area where he fell, but that later he repented and regained his former glory. There's also the Gnostics, which believe that the creator-god is the evil one and that some of the old testament references to satan or the snake in the garden of Eden were actually the good god who actually cares about humanity.

Then there's literary versions like Anne Rice's Memnoch who claimed to be doing the entire thing out of service to God (his function was to purify souls so that they would be ready to eventually enter Heaven). Or the Satan of the Incarnations of Immortality series (very good books, btw) who plays the part of the Incarnation of Evil but really isn't a true embodiment of evil, he prevents the Holocaust among other things, and tries to bring down an unworthy God, who has stopped responding to prayers or taking any active hand in the world.

I don't know his specific reasoning, but there's plenty to draw upon both from literature and real world religions.
Wishes?... I think he might have been talking about Pazuzu? One of the demon lords. I haven't seen him in 4E, but in 3.5 I'm pretty sure that he was in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

Pazuzu is in the 4e Demonomicon.  Not sure if he gives wishes, though.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Nope, he/it/whatever isn't in the game. D&D's base setting has an entirely different cosmology.

Actually until 4e came along earth was supposed to be simply one of many worlds on D&D's prime material game. You were supposed to be able to reach Earth through the right portal or just fly a spelljammer through wildspace to Earth if you knew the way.

Pazuzu is also in Futurama! Dr Farnesworth has one wish left.
Nope, he/it/whatever isn't in the game. D&D's base setting has an entirely different cosmology.

Actually until 4e came along earth was supposed to be simply one of many worlds on D&D's prime material game. You were supposed to be able to reach Earth through the right portal or just fly a spelljammer through wildspace to Earth if you knew the way.

Wasn't Oerth of Greyhawk one of many Earths in parallel universes?
Yes, an issue of Dragon magazine in 1979 (then reprinted in Best of Dragon 2) did indeed write up Satan, Belial & Astaroth as 1E monsters. Your should talk about them in the Previous Editions forums.

As I recall however, that was sort of a joke article and it wasn't really written within the continuity of established D&D material regarding the 9 Hells (as detailed with Greenwood's Dragon articles and the 1e MotP, and postdating the 81 piece, later further developed in 2e and 3e in lots of sources).

Outside of that '81 piece, there hasn't been a "Satan" within the continuity of mainline D&D's planes, though Asmodeus is more or less an analog of the pop-culture Satan (but with a distinctly different origin story and background in 1e-3e, with a different background still for the 4e version).
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
Satan could easily be in your campaign if you want him to be.

Different names of Satan....

Abbadon
Apollyon
Beelzebub
Belial
Lucifer 

Some titles of Satan...

Accuser
Adversary
Angel of Light
Angel of the bottomless pit
AntiChrist
Beast
Deceiver
Devil
Father of lies
God of this age
King of Babylon
King of Tyre
Lawless one
Leviathan
Serpent of Old
Son of perdition
Tempter
He WAS in D&D until the group I DM for killed him and took his stuff.
Reskined Asmodeus, gave the players the last items on their wishlists, done.
Both Satan and Lucifer were mentioned in 3.5 books. I can't remember if it was BoVD or some planar/faiths/devils - oriented book, but I'm 100% sure that they were mentioned. They were supposed to be some long-gone archdevils or something.

Also, how is Satan any more "real world" than - let's say - Asmodeus, Demogorgon or Tyr? 99% of D&D is based on real world religions, legends etc.
Both Satan and Lucifer were mentioned in 3.5 books. I can't remember if it was BoVD

3.5e BoVD p.143: "The greatest of all archdevils is Asmodeus, who rules over all of them from the bottom of the Pit itself. He has controlled the Hells for as long as histories have been recorded, although there are rumors of even older lords of the Pit, with names such as Satan and Lucifer. These beings, however, are long gone now."

my friends dad told me about him and he can give you three wishes and well good stuff

He was probably talking off-hand; thinking of Asmodeus, an Efreeti, another archdevil, a home game, or just pulling your leg.

Ask him sometime about his 18th level multiclass Paladin/Assassin. Good times.
However, I do recall hearing about a small religion in Iraq (one of my buddies was in an area that contained one of their churches) that prayed to him. According to him they believed that they were in the exact area where he fell, but that later he repented and regained his former glory.

You're probably thinking of the Yazidis. It sounds like your friend badly misinterpreted or misremembered their beliefs, though. Suffice to say, they are not really devil-worshippers, and the idea of Tawuse Melek (the 'Peacock Angel' who often gets identified with Satan/Shaitan/Iblis by Muslims and Christians) "repenting after his Fall" makes absolutely no sense at all in Yazidi belief.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

However, I do recall hearing about a small religion in Iraq (one of my buddies was in an area that contained one of their churches) that prayed to him. According to him they believed that they were in the exact area where he fell, but that later he repented and regained his former glory.

You're probably thinking of the Yazidis. It sounds like your friend badly misinterpreted or misremembered their beliefs, though. Suffice to say, they are not really devil-worshippers, and the idea of Tawuse Melek (the 'Peacock Angel' who often gets identified with Satan/Shaitan/Iblis by Muslims and Christians) "repenting after his Fall" makes absolutely no sense at all in Yazidi belief.

That is very possible. Even more common groups like Wiccans and Satanists get misrepresented all the time, so throw a language barrier into the mix and it only goes downhill from there.