Several questions

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

On our meetings there were several  quarrels. So my questions are:

1. Does bow and arrow enchantments stuck (I mean + for attack and damage rolls) ?

2. Does ritual casters with EMI can only make common items (are uncommon if they have recipies) or players are free-to-do (making uncommons only with gold) ?

3. While monsters have zone effects (like Necrotic Aura which does 10 damage), does those effects are stackable ? 

4. Some items have only "bonus" word in description while many other have "item bonus". Does those two word are similar ?

5. I know that some rules can be changed by DM but, if a player uses his power  after the battle (like Flying - Inquisitor), how long he can have all the benefits from it?

6. The situation was, that player was fighting with  pack of wolfs. He used mentioned before flying and shooting them with hand crossbow. Does the encounter ends when he kill all the wolfs/wolfs will hide or is it limited by time?

7.  Does ongoing damage stackable (the same type of damage) ?

Waiting for answers  
1) No.
2) Only common.  But many DM's allow you to make uncommon as well.
3) Yes.
4) "item bonus" does not stack with another "item bonus".  "bonus" stacks.
5) "end of the encounter" = 5 minutes.  "end of your next turn" = 6 seconds.
6) Encounter is over when the danger is gone.
7) No. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

1) No.
2) Only common.  But many DM's allow you to make uncommon as well.
3) Yes.
4) "item bonus" does not stack with another "item bonus".  "bonus" stacks.
5) "end of the encounter" = 5 minutes.  "end of your next turn" = 6 seconds.
6) Encounter is over when the danger is gone.
7) No. 

Ok.. thanks for answers.

But I've got another one.

Me and my companions have went to Shadowfell. Well, my Dwarf Runepriest died there (totally) so DM told me to make another character who'll be introduced in some time. 

As we all know that in Shadowfell there are many creatures with "necrotic" keyword (auras, powers etc.).

I want to play Revenant Warlock (no, I'm not using your build  mellored ) and I've lost the "living creature" keyword - if may I say like that (Death's Blessing feat --> more role-play than "power-play"). It means I'm an undead.
When players uses their necrotic-keyword-powers than we make no damage to undead, half damage and maybe even heal them.

How it is with "undead" Revenant. I'm just a simple player or DM will need to think twice while using some necrotic powers on me?

Ow!!! I one more. Is Scout trully so lame? Only one at-will (1[W]) and Power Strike? Nothing more?

And the same thing about Executioner. Executioner is a "one-shot-character", after his mixed attack his useless.
Maybe I'm wrong? Could someone explain it?

How does the two melee weapon fighting works? While I have powers where is req. "2 weapons" it's ok. But what about OA? I'm making a basic attackwith one weapon or one attack for both weapons (damage rolls 1[W] + 1[W] for each hand when hit) or one atack for each hand?

In 3 and 3.5e it was obvious but in 4e I'm confused  

Regards 

When players uses their necrotic-keyword-powers than we make no damage to undead, half damage and maybe even heal them.

How it is with "undead" Revenant. I'm just a simple player or DM will need to think twice while using some necrotic powers on me?

The power will do whatever the power says it does.  Your status as being undead means nothing unless the power specifically says so.  Necrotic damage doesn't heal undead, nor are they immune to it (unless you have some feature that says otherwise). 

How does the two melee weapon fighting works? While I have powers where is req. "2 weapons" it's ok. But what about OA? I'm making a basic attackwith one weapon or one attack for both weapons (damage rolls 1[W] + 1[W] for each hand when hit) or one atack for each hand?

Unless a power says you're using both weapons, you aren't.  A Melee Basic Attack is an attack with one weapon.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Thanks.

And what about those two issues ?

Ow!!! I one more. Is Scout trully so lame? Only one at-will (1[W]) and Power Strike? Nothing more?

And the same thing about Executioner. Executioner is a "one-shot-character", after his mixed attack his useless.
Maybe I'm wrong? Could someone explain it?

I don't know much about Essentials classes, so I'm not qualified to answer.  I think both of those classes have build handbooks in the Character Optimization forum, so you could go there, search for 'scout handbook' and 'executioner handbook' and the threads will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the classes in minute detail.

Executioners and scouts aren't "one-shot" characters. Not using the original AEDU power structure doesn't make them "lame" and certainly not useless.  What you're forgetting about the scout and executioner are their striker mechanics...

The executioner has Attack Finesse - they use Dex for their basic melee atacks and once per turn they add +D8 to their damage for an attack. 
 Rather than getting encounter powers which do greater damage in a once-per-encounter spike (and even then mba + assasin's strike = encounter power), executioners do slightly more damage overall on their at-will powers which balances out in the end. They also get more at-will powers than most other classes due to their guild training, which makes them more versatile.

The scout gets both their own version of Attack Finesse (they use Dex for basic attacks) and Dual Attack - whenever they hit with a basic attack (which is all they ever use) they get to take a second attack with their offhand weapon. Their "one at-will" is basically the original ranger's Twin Strike with the qualification that they have to hit with the first attack.
Rather than additional attack at-wills, they get utility at-wills in the form of their Aspect of the Wild stances, many of which enhance their basic attacks.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Executioners and scouts aren't "one-shot" characters. Not using the original AEDU power structure doesn't make them "lame" and certainly not useless.  What you're forgetting about the scout and executioner are their striker mechanics...

The executioner has Attack Finesse - they use Dex for their basic melee atacks and once per turn they add +D8 to their damage for an attack. 
 Rather than getting encounter powers which do greater damage in a once-per-encounter spike (and even then mba + assasin's strike = encounter power), executioners do slightly more damage overall on their at-will powers which balances out in the end. They also get more at-will powers than most other classes due to their guild training, which makes them more versatile.

The scout gets both their own version of Attack Finesse (they use Dex for basic attacks) and Dual Attack - whenever they hit with a basic attack (which is all they ever use) they get to take a second attack with their offhand weapon. Their "one at-will" is basically the original ranger's Twin Strike with the qualification that they have to hit with the first attack.
Rather than additional attack at-wills, they get utility at-wills in the form of their Aspect of the Wild stances, many of which enhance their basic attacks.

Eh, I find them lame specifically for that reason (spamming basic attacks = snoozefest). They're not useless, though. No class in useless in 4e (except maybe the Binder).

Eh, I find them lame specifically for that reason (spamming basic attacks = snoozefest). They're not useless, though. No class in useless in 4e (except maybe the Binder).

Swarm druids.

Binders are still playable.  Weak certainly, but playable.

Swarm druids will just die.  Doubly so if they actually attempt to do as they are built for, which is off tank.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Hi,

It's me again

I've got another question.

How does the Darkvision work?
PC is seeing everything perfectly like on sunny day or everything is black & white ? Also, what's with it's range? I know there are several feats that are giving a darkvision with some range but how does it works with Assasins Paragon Feat (no range given) or Drows?

Thanks for answers  
Darkvision simply let you see regardless of light. Since it doesn't say it is restricted to black & white only, colors are  still perceived as normal.

Unless noted otherwise, the range of any of your senses goes up to as far as your sight can reach. If a Radius number is given, than this sense extend up to the given Range only and must rely on normal sense beyond it.

RC 168 Darkvision: A creature that has Darkvision can see normally regardless of light. It ignores Concealment that is a result of dim light or darkness.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Hi,

It's me again

I've got another question.

How does the Darkvision work?
PC is seeing everything perfectly like on sunny day or everything is black & white ? Also, what's with it's range? I know there are several feats that are giving a darkvision with some range but how does it works with Assasins Paragon Feat (no range given) or Drows?

Thanks for answers  

You see in color, since nothing says otherwise.

If no range is given, then the range is 'as far as you can normally see'.
I've got another problem.

Let me explain.
I've got 12th lvl Haxblade. I want to give him a chainmail-class armor. While I'm putting on him "simple" chainmail +3 he have 33 AC, but when I'm giving him Braidmail Armor +3 he have 5 AC less.

Chainmail have Base +6 AC and Braidmail have +8 AC.

IMO this AC should be +2 AC higher.

Can someone explain this ? 
I've got another problem.

Let me explain.
I've got 12th lvl Haxblade. I want to give him a chainmail-class armor. While I'm putting on him "simple" chainmail +3 he have 33 AC, but when I'm giving him Braidmail Armor +3 he have 5 AC less.

Chainmail have Base +6 AC and Braidmail have +8 AC.

IMO this AC should be +2 AC higher.

Can someone explain this ? 

The Character Builder has, on occasion, had trouble calculating armour values for masterwork armours. I thought that issue had been fixed, but perhaps not.

Make sure there are no proficiency issues, but aside from that, trust your own AC calculations over those of the Character Builder. 
I truly don't understand it.

Base - 10
Half-level - 6
Feat (with Rod) - 1
Ability - 5
Chainmail - 6 / Braidmail - 8
Enhancement - 3

Chainmail +3 - 29 AC / Braidmail +3 - 31

And character builder says:

Chainmail - 33 AC / Braidmail - 28 AC ;/ 
I truly don't understand it.

Base - 10
Half-level - 6
Feat (with Rod) - 1

Ability - 5

Chainmail - 6 / Braidmail - 8
Enhancement - 3

Chainmail +3 - 29 AC / Braidmail +3 - 31

And character builder says:

Chainmail - 33 AC / Braidmail - 28 AC ;/ 

Emphasis mine:  Chainmail is heavy armor.  It does not let you add an Ability score.

If you have a Dex or Int of 20, you're probably better off in Hide than in Chain.

(If the builder is giving you your dex bonus while in Chain, that's a different problem.)
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Chainmail +3 and Braidmail +3 are both 11-15 level armors so they should both grant a +8 armor bonus and a +3 enhancement bonus for a total of +11.  If you don't get the +5 due to your ability while wearing heavy armor then your AC should be 28 all the time whether you're wearing chain +3 or braidmail +3.

If the CB is telling you that equiping chainmail lets you get the +5 then something is buggy there.

Is there some game element that lets you get a DEX or INT bonus to AC while wearing chain that I'm not aware of?

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

OK.. I've realized that CB is giving me a +5 ability score ONLY with normal armors: chainmail, scale armor and plate armor.
Any other heavy armors don't do that (Forgemail, Wyrmscale, Layerde Plate Armor etc.).

As you said, there are two ways:

1. Something is buggy.
2. I have something that gives me ability score with chainmail, which I don't even know what it is.

So, should I trust CB and take chainmail to have 33 AC or braidmail to have 28 ??
no, unless there is something you aren't telling us, you do not get the +5 ability modifier with any heavy armor.  If CB is giving it to you, that is a bug, and is wrong.  Your AC would be 28, not 33, no matter what CB prints out.

As others have said, with that high of a dex or int stat, you are probably better with Hide armor than chain, but that is your choice.

The character builder is not a rules source - sometimes it's wrong. Add it up yourself and use your own calculations.

There's almost certainly a bug in the character builder...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

OK.. I've realized that CB is giving me a +5 ability score ONLY with normal armors: chainmail, scale armor and plate armor.
Any other heavy armors don't do that (Forgemail, Wyrmscale, Layerde Plate Armor etc.).

As you said, there are two ways:

1. Something is buggy.
2. I have something that gives me ability score with chainmail, which I don't even know what it is.

So, should I trust CB and take chainmail to have 33 AC or braidmail to have 28 ??

Most likely, something is buggy.  Export your character here and let us take a look?
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

Most likely, something is buggy.  Export your character here and let us take a look?

OK, it was a bug. Everything's fine now

I have a question about one magical item.

"Lifeblood Armor" - CB says it gives 10 TEMP HP each rest.
Does it means that this TEMP HP is cumulative and I'll get those hit points each short and extended rest (let's say there were 3 short restsand extended rest - so it gives 40 hp.)? Or is just once per day?
And if it's cumulative, does this means those hp I got last day are still available next day?

OK, it was a bug. Everything's fine now

I have a question about one magical item.

"Lifeblood Armor" - CB says it gives 10 TEMP HP each rest.
Does it means that this TEMP HP is cumulative and I'll get those hit points each short and extended rest (let's say there were 3 short restsand extended rest - so it gives 40 hp.)? Or is just once per day?
And if it's cumulative, does this means those hp I got last day are still available next day?

Temporary hit points don't stack.  There are a very few sources of stacking temp HP, and all of them SAY they stack temp HP, meaning they are a specific exception to the explicit general rule that temporary HP do not stack.

However, your two options ("stacking, or only once a day") are both wrong.  You get 10 temp HP every time you rest.  Those temp HP don't stack because temp HP don't stack, but they also don't come only once a day because they don't SAY they come only once a day.

Each and every time you take a short or extended rest, you gain 5/10/15 temp HP (depending on the level of the armor).  Those THP obey all the normal rules for THP, because nothing says they DON'T follow the normal rules.
Hi,

It's me again with another question.

I wouldl ike to now is there any special rules about making character unconscious by one hit? 

You know, hit in occiput, temple, solar plexus ?? It'll be a great thing for headhunters and assasins.  Then drag the victim somewhere, question him and other things that assasins do

Regards
Hi,

It's me again with another question.

I wouldl ike to now is there any special rules about making character unconscious by one hit? 

You know, hit in occiput, temple, solar plexus ?? It'll be a great thing for headhunters and assasins.  Then drag the victim somewhere, question him and other things that assasins do

Regards

Against PCs and normal monsters:  You're looking for Coup De Grace, combined with choosing to leave the creature alive rather than kill it.

For minions:  You're looking for "any attack", combined with choosing to leave the creature alive rather than kill it.
Ok. Thx.

Other one: While character falls unconscious, does all the buffs (stance, auras, polymorph etc.) are ending?

I've tried to find something in Rules Compendium but there's nothing in it. 
On KOing in one hit: no, there are no general rules for this.  Specific powers (such as the Rogue's Knockout) do allow it.  And you can flavour hits however you want, so particularly with minions, that's how you can say you dealt with them, if you wish.

Unconsciousness ends many, but not all, things.  There's no general rule for what ends on unconsciousness - you'd need to look up the specific effects.

Stances end on unconsciousness.  Auras do also IIRC.  Polymorphs don't I don't think.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
While character falls unconscious, does all the buffs (stance, auras, polymorph etc.) are ending?

No, unless noted otherwise. 

Stance and Aura do note otherwise for exemple, and mention they end immediately when you falls unconscious or dies.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

It's me again

I've got two another issues.

First:

Is there any chance to use powers through familiars?
I know that Sha'ir has efreetkin and other (encounter power) but I was wondering, does character could be using it's powers all the time?

Because I've found some funny build but it'll be useless without it.

Sha'ir + Ravenkin. Two familiars, one in active mode and second in passive. With that feat which you can see through familiars eyes you could make a "range combo" so instead of using powers in range 10, you could use them in of 20 (10 for spell range and 10 for sight range of a familiar).

And second issue:

Does powers need incantations? For example mages? Does they need to use words to fire a fireball?
I was wondering, because Executioner has an attack with garrote and foe cannot speak. So such character would be great against spell-type characters.
You can only use powers through a familliar if it says you can.
Dragonlings and Sahir only familliars have it as encounter actions some specific powers from the Dragon magazine say they can.

You do not need to speak or wave your arms for powers unless the power says you must be able to speak or wave your arms.   
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.