Introducing a Hybrid Bard/Psion into an existing campaign and need advice on an ongoing charm effect

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group of players are all in their 40s and have been playing various RPGs since the 80s.  They prefer a grittier game however since I run my sessions on a virtual tabletop, we've been using 4e for its ease of use.

They are heavy roleplayers and each enjoys slow character backstory reveals and secrets.  Unfortunately in the VTT setup it doesn't often allow for the 6-8 hour games where we sit in front of a fireplace and roleplay in-character.  They understand intellectually that the VTT format requires a faster mode of play.  Even so, they give trust reluctantly to new characters who tend to feel left-out of what is going on. 

My campaign has a strong Irish/faewyld/faedark feel to it and the character which is being introduced has led a classically "Lucky Child" charmed life. All of her powers are focused on charm/manipulation and we agreed that she was extraordinarily charismatic.

To smooth the acceptance of her in the group, I was toying with the idea of her backstory "luck" to really be more of a uncontious emotional/mental manipulation of people around her.  They just want to like her, they can't help themselves.  Perhaps this effect has its origins in some kind of fae-pact that her parents made.

Regardless, I was thinking that I could use this to encourage the other players to find her character charming.  If they are torn on trusting her, default to trust.  They're not sure why, but she is like a little sister they didn't realize they were missing, or a good friend recently returned from a long absence.

I know I have to be careful about this.  Players hate being told what to do or how to roleplay. Does this seem workable to you?
It is workable, you just have to get the nuance just right.

Do not tell your players: "You can't help but love this person as if she were your little sister!", they'll resent being told what to think.

Instead it should be more like "The person who stands before you seems surrounded by an air of charisma and innocence. She has a certain demeanor about her that facilitates seeing her as a sort of little sister character." This way you get the point across(she's cute, innocence and charismatic) without forcing them to think anything, which is usually what's best for mind control and charms on PCs.

Obviously that's just a (very) crude example, you'll want to dress that up in the character's description and actually make it, you know, good. I just wanted to provide the basic idea, but didn't have much inspiration ^^
Even in face to face games I get tired fast of the "why should I trust this guy" mode, realistic though it may be. I have in the past gone so far as to tell my players, "I don't care what reason you come up with for working with this new character, but come up with a reason. You don't even have to trust him, but just work with him so we can get on with the adventure and keep everyone involved." The ongoing charm effect is a great hook for your players, but they could also just say the character reminds them of a relative or something. Or, they might actually not trust her, but feel compelled (and not necessarily magically) to involve her as much as the other members of the party. That's a fairly common trope in fantasy.

I recommend not betraying whatever level of trust they settle on, unless you a very open with the players about it happening and they're along for the ride. Otherwise, you'll be back to them not trusting new characters.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Sign In to post comments