[Weekend Game] Build Around This! #3 -- Round 2/10

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Build Around This! #3

Round #2 of 10 - Winning!

Welcome to Build Around This! #3.  This is the first port of "BAT!" to the YMTC forum from the Cards and Combo forum, in the hope that we will see more activity ;)

This is a deckbuilding contest, where you don't just make the deck, but the cards in it as well!  Over the course of 10 rounds (1 per weekend), you will construct your deck.  Sound simple?  Just wait, because there is, because of course there is, a catch...

To see the rules (and the catch), please visit the next post!

Most Importantly, Round 2 closes at 4 AM forum time Monday.

Round #2 of 10

Here are the specifics for your Round #2 of 10 entry.

Winning!

You were given a starting format and set of cards to build around, from which you've set a solid foundation and manabase.  Now it's time to pick your strategy, your bomb, your own build around card.  You need to decide your Win Condition.

What is the thing that makes your deck tick?  What showcase card will you be known for?  It need not be Mythic, or even Rare to become the legend of your deck in its own right.  Though the rarity is ultimately your choice (and please ensure to state what rarity you're aiming for!).

You need to fill 4 slots of the 40 remaining of the 60 cards in your deck.  You may only design one (1) card, which will be 4 of in your deck.  And that's it.  Go!

Previous Rounds
Round One: Land, Ho!
What if I Miss a Round or Start Late or Submit Late
DON'T WORRY!!

If you missed a round, decided to start late, or just were too late and passed the cutoff time, you can still participate!!  Each round, except for the final round, is worth 10 points.  The final round is worth a whopping 100!

You will still need to make up your missed work.  Sadly, it won't receive a grade but, I absolutely must have a submission from you for every prior round in order to advance to the last one!  But that means even if you participate in zero rounds except the last, you still have a shot at VICTORY!

Current Grades

ContestantCumulative scoreOverall place
iqiq8.342
theatog8.811
TPmanW3

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

Rules

At random, I have chosen a format from which to draw your starting pool of cards.  I have, in a psuedo-random fashion, pre-selected 3 cards which you already have in your deck, 4 copies of each.  Over the course of the contest, you will build the rest of the cards that will go into your version of this deck.  Once a particular round is over, the cards you have built are frozen in place and cannot be changed.

Each round begins at some point while Friday still exists somewhere in the world and ends after Sunday is over in every timezone on earth (or, UTC Noon on Monday, 0400 in the morning on Monday forum time).  That means the round ends even if I don't post saying so at that time (which I won't more often than not).

What if I Miss a Round or Start Late or Submit Late
DON'T WORRY!!

If you missed a round, decided to start late, or just were too late and passed the cutoff time, you can still participate!!  Each round, except for the final round, is worth 10 points.  The final round is worth a whopping 100!

You will still need to make up your missed work.  Sadly, it won't receive a grade but, I absolutely must have a submission from you for every prior round in order to advance to the last one!  But that means even if you participate in zero rounds except the last, you still have a shot at VICTORY!

Build Around This #3 -- The Cards

The format for Build Around This! #3 is................Onslaught Standard

Onslaught Standard, or Type 2 as it was called then, includes cards from Seventh Edition, Odyssey Block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment), and Onslaught Block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge).  Here is a link to those cards.  The sets within Onslaught Standard took place flavorfully on the continent of Otaria, on the Plane of Dominaria.

But now for the real fun, which cards will you start with?!  *The lottery machine tumbles, and....*

299! 4x Mossfire Valley
187! 4x Crashing Centaur
458! 4x Primal Boost

Each player begins with 4 of these 3 cards in their deck and they cannot be removed.

Grades

I will grade each entry based on the following criteria, explained in more details below: Creativity, Balance, Synergy, Flavor, Bonus.

Grading in Depth
Each criteria receives up to 2 points per round, and I reserve the right to grant fractions of a point.

• Creativity: Will I be inspired?  How unique, original, or otherwise game-changing is this card?  Perhaps it has a new mechanic, or a new take on an old one.  Or maybe, it's just imaginitive and cool 8)

• Balance: All cards, unless otherwise asked, are graded according to today's understanding of balance.  This means power level compared to its rarity AND whether it fits in the color pie.  Balance.  Do it.  Be it.  Zen.  Capice?

• Synergy: How well does your card work with the rest of your deck, and how well does your card work with the pre-selected cards?

• Flavor: Does your card have a cool name, awesome flavor-text, a Melvin-esque structure or a Vorthosian theme?  If so, points galore!

• Bonus: One point here will be based on whether your card could fit in the preselected format (i.e. creature types, mechanics, setting, etc).  The other point is at my complete and total discretion...and I am very whimsical.  You've been warned.

Rounds that have multiple submissions provide a final grade that is an average of all cards submitted, based on how many are included in the deck.

Current Decklists

iqiq's Deck
40 of 60 cards remaining

Lands
3x Fury Hilltop
1x Outerspace Planet
4x Mossfire Valley
2x Magnetic Forest
1x Magnetic Cliffside
1x Uran, the Evergreen Cliff

Creatures
4x Crashing Centaur

Spells
4x Primal Boost

iqiq's Cardlist
Magnetic Forest
Land-Forest (U)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
If ~ would be discarded, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped instead.

Outerspace Planet
Land (U)
: Add to your mana pool.
Cycling
Lands in your hand have cyling .

Fury Hilltop
Land (R)
, pay 1 life: Add to your mana pool. If a card you control have been discarded this turn, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature.

Magnetic Cliffside
Land-Mountain (U)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
If ~ would be discarded, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped instead.

Uran, the Evergreen Cliff
Legendary Land (MR)
Threshold -- Lands you control are Forests and Mountains in addition to their other types.

theatog's Deck
40 of 60 cards remaining

Lands
1x Deathly Canyon
2x Flourishing Bloom
2x Goblin Dumphole
4x Mossfire Valley
2x New Cemetery
1x Nurturing Crater

Creatures
4x Crashing Centaur

Spells
4x Primal Boost
theatog's Cardlist
New Cemetery
Land
You may play ~ from your  graveyard.
Threshold — You can't play ~.

Goblin Dumphole
Land - Mountain
(: Add :R: to your mana pool.)
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Goblin card from your hand. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add :B: or :G: to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.

Nurturing Crater
Land
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color for each creature you control.
: Add a mana of a chosen color to your mana pool.

I know spell shaper is from a different set but this helps threshold and are cool.

Flourishing Bloom
Land
:G:, , Discard a card: ~ gains "Whenever ~ is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color to his or her mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces)."

Deathly Canyon
Land
:R:, , Discard a card: ~ gains ":Tap:: Target creature can't block this turn."

TPmanW's Deck
40 of 60 cards remaining

Lands
2x Endless Depths
2x Excavation Zone
2x Forest
4x Mossfire Valley
1x Mountain
1x Swamp

Creatures
4x Crashing Centaur

Spells
4x Primal Boost
TPmanW's Cardlist
Excavation Zone
Land {U}
:T:: Add to your mana pool.
:T:: Add one mana of any color a land in your graveyard could produce to your mana pool.
"Long ago those island over there were mountain peaks, and before that? Well the answer lies beneath our feet." - Yalen, Otarian Archivist

Endless Depths
Land {U}
:T:: Add to your mana pool.
:T:, sacrifice a land: Add to your mana pool.
The void taketh and the void giveth in return

Again, Round 2 closes at 4 AM forum time Monday.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
So round 2 is an entirely seperate thread? Odd.

Hmmm so much to consider. That six cost centaur could be interesting to combo with, and my deck seems to evolve getting land into the garveyard so...

Show

overrun effect but you can pay with land in your graveyard?
The same concept could be used for burn or token spells...

Strength from Beyond :XM::B::G::G:
~'s cost is reduced by for each land card in your graveyard.
Creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn.

hmmm I could also try exiling the land as a cost. 

Show

Threshold - ~ has the threshold abilities of all creatures you control.
Not sure if this realy justifies the cebtaur being a 4-of, maybe if it curved nicely say it was a five drop and really wanted the boost & shroud.

I kind of want him to synergize with the shroud so maybe he lets everyone choose a target to kill?

Grave Lord :3::B::B:
When ~ enters the battlefield each player chooses a creature. ~ destroys those creatures.
~ has the threshold abilites of all permanets you control.
7/7
Kinda seems like the abilities are stapled together. Maybe it grabs abilities from the grave? More justifiable but less reliable.

Grave Beast :G::B:
Creature- Zombie Beast
~'s power and toughness are both equal to the number of cards in your graveyard.
~ has the threshold abilites of all creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*
It reaps the crop death sows.

Wish I knew a little more about Onslaught standard, I only started playing after Zendikar came out. I was kind of expecting there to be some threshold trample abilities and all the threshold flying is in white... well I suppouse I still have more cards to design.
Show

Cards to include: Werebear, entomb I think it's called?
Cards to make- mini Arc-slogger? black creature w/ threshold flying

So round 2 is an entirely seperate thread? Odd.

After I had posted the original thread, I wasn't sure if it should be separate threads or a single one with multiple rounds.  By then I had the thread title in place which referenced the Round number, so I decided I'd keep going with that.  I see a number of threads that are kept over multiple rounds, but they originally appeared to be for shorter duration contests (24 or 48 hours), which I can now tell isn't really the case.  I also saw Yarium's "YTMC Mole Challenge" threads that are weekly, but separate.

I went with the latter, but if it's prefered, I can go with the former (starting on Round 3 and beyond, so I can set up the thread structure appropriately).

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Onslaught has this really really weird cross-breed creatures: Wirewood Savage. As in you want them to be beast decks but they aren't beast themselves. I'm going to do a crazy extend of it.

Goblin Mob Instigator
Creature - Goblin (R)
Nongoblin creatures you control have trample and gets +1/+1 for each goblin creatures you control.
When ~ is turned face up, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Morph
1/1

Yup lol. Even if you don't draw one of your lovely centaurs, turning one of these bad boys face up means all your future morphs are 5/5 XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sunday

Still missing iqiq's submission here.  And if anyone new wants to join in, you're more than welcome to!

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Sunday

Still missing iqiq's submission here.  And if anyone new wants to join in, you're more than welcome to!

Try messaging him. Maybe he doesn't know the contest moved to a new thread.
Sorry for the late submission. I wasn't on the forums for like a week or something. Sorry if my cards doesn't make sense on flavor or in relation to onslaught since i only started playing magic like one and a half years ago.

Flameburn Anurid

Creature - Frog Wizard (MR)
You may discard a card. (You may do this at any time)
Threshold -- , : ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to its power. If there are 14 or more cards in your graveyard, you may untap ~.
Whenever you discard a card, you may pay . If you do, target creature get +1/+0 and gains first strike and trample until end of turn.
"It is said that the fire could destroy you. But in the hand of an anurid, the destructive flame became his toy as he watched the giants trample over the hilltop."
3/1

Edit: Lowered his skill's power level.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart
This Round ended a handful of hours ago.  Everyone made it in pre-cutoff and I have your submissions!  Scores will go up this week, probably much sooner than they did last time (only a few cards to grade this round).

The next Round will be in a separate thread, but I'll go with TPmanW's suggestion and keep the rest of this contest in that same thread.  Unless anyone objects.

I'll link to the thread for the remaining rounds here and post an edit into Round 1's thread linking there, as well.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
I am so good at procrastinating!

Seriously though, these cards are all really cool.  I am really looking forward to how all of these decks build themselves out.  I'm quite impressed with the quality of the submissions and how much effort you're putting in to build within the restrictions of the contest.

A brief note about players' knowledge of the block.  Consider this an opportunity to learn about Magic's history.  While the next Build Around This! (#4) is already planned to be the Modern format, over time this contest will jump around through a great number of different formats, some newer, some older.  I'm glad to see two people who feel they don't know much about the Block/Format still here giving this a go.  Feel free to make thorough use of Gatherer and the MTGSalvation Wiki to help guide you.

Round Winner: iqiq, with Flameburn Anurid -- 9.25/10

TPmanW
Grave Beast:
Creativity: OK, so the application of Necrotic Ooze's power to threshold mechanics is really exciting!  I want to play this card, I want to own this card!  It's very nice that his P/T defining attribute plays well with his threshold power 2/2
Balance: I think this is really appropriately costed -- Rarity not specified though, a small misstep. 1.75/2
Synergy: I really feel like the Odyssey Block is actually missing this card.  I now realize that the set is incomplete without having this card, and that says quite a bit considering it's one of my favorite blocks.  2/2
Flavor: Sadly, here is where I see some stumbling -- the devil in the details, as they say.  First, creatures from this particular format that set P/T by the graveyard are Lhurgoyf's, and are named X-vore.  Even putting aside the naming convention (as there are so few), "Grave Beast" isn't, imo, evocative enough -- it's fitting, but it's really vanilla for such a mighty creature.  I wouldn't have a problem with the name at all on a creature that was also more vanilla, but here it doesn't fit.  This is an awesome wincon, and needs an awesome name to go with it.  Having the two extra creature types tacked on (Zombie and Beast) would still be distracting, but it would be far better having them with the Lhurgoyf type than the way it is now. 1/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes!  Hell, it could define a central theme of the format.  2/2
Total: 8.75/10
Grave Beast :G::B:
Creature- Zombie Beast
~'s power and toughness are both equal to the number of cards in your graveyard.
~ has the threshold abilites of all creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*
It reaps the crop death sows.

theatog
Goblin Mob Instigator:
Creativity: Man, this guy is a boss!  I think the double tribal format is very much unexplored ground, and I don't think it's going to really be seen again given the reduced set sizes of today compared to back then.  Legions also has the infamy of being all creatures, so it was inevitable really for there to be multiple creatures that synergized with other tribes rather than their own.  So, I'm glad to see this design, since it's unlikely to ever exist due to the logistics required, even though it's quite exciting. 2/2
Balance: This particular implementation is totally overpowered.  He's a trample granting non-tribal "lord" for 2 CMC.  It's really all in his normal CMC giving +1/+1 for each Goblin, himself included (which is what really hits hard, giving him "lord" status for all non-Goblin creature types).  He curves straight into things like Arc Runner (making it actually a splashable Ball Lightning) or Goblin Chieftain (allowing turn 3/4 follow-on power plays) for super-aggro synergy, and while those aren't in this particular format, what can occur with your card in general does need to be considered here.  He desperately needs an extra in his casting cost, to compete for a 3 CMC slot for himself, and while I think the converted morph cost is OK, I also think it should be double-red at .  Even then, I still think that would qualify him only for Mythic Rare, due to the unique non-tribal tribal interaction. 0.5/2.
Synergy: Good so far, again I like the play on the multi-tribe aspect in general, even if your inspiration card is itself one tribe while granting benefits for also playing another specific tribe (rather than to everything else non-tribe).  2/2
Flavor: Still no flaves text.  I'm also not sure how his name matches ability 1, even though I really like it with ability 2. 1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes!  I'm still a bit put off by this guys current power level, though I do think it's a cool card.  1.75/2
Total: 7.75/10
Goblin Mob Instigator
Creature - Goblin (R)
Nongoblin creatures you control have trample and gets +1/+1 for each goblin creatures you control.
When ~ is turned face up, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Morph
1/1

iqiq
Flameburn Anurid:
Creativity: LOL, frogs are awesome!  I love the irony of the frog being the wizard, instead of being the target of one.  2/2
Balance: I don't really think the 1 toughness offsets the idea that you can discard a card, pay a mana, give himself an extra power, and then activate his own ability, potentially multiple times.  What I'm saying is I think he combos just a bit too well with himself.  I don't see him as game-breaking given the mana and card investment to make that happen and his lack of self-protection, but he can easily end games cold without even attacking on turn 5 against an opponent with more than half their life.  As an aside, though you're designing with today's balance in mind, the 1 toughness makes even less difference in this particular format given how direct damage was balanced during Odyssey/Onslaught. 1.75/2
Synergy: So other than the self-synergy problems, I think this is still good in the format and good with the starting cards in particular.  I see no issues here.  2/2
Flavor: A really minor issue here, but the Anurids are Frog Beasts, even if they are also something else. 1.75/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes!  A couple nits with the card layout and such, 1) the Threshold line should be the last printed ability (just before flavor text), and threshold itself activates on 7 cards in the 'yard, not 14.  1.75/2
Total: 9.25/10
Flameburn Anurid
Creature - Frog Wizard (MR)
You may discard a card. (You may do this at any time)
Threshold -- , : ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. If there are 14 or more cards in your graveyard, you may untap ~ and have it deals damage equal to its power instead.
Whenever you discard a card, you may pay 1. If you do, target creature get +1/+0 and gains first strike and trample until end of turn.
"It is said that the fire could destroy you. But in the hand of an anurid, the destructive flame became his toy as he watched the giants trample over the hilltop."
3/1

Again, Round 3 will be its own thread -- however, since we just have a few people so far, I agree we're safe keeping the rest of the rounds there, as well.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
If you think honor of the pure that dies to any gut shot it's not at all op. Not particularly happy with the low balance score.

And I also want to point out that the struggling tribe aspect is more like playing honor of the pure in a two color deck, rather than mono white, making it weaker further.

Also, I imagine if there's space left, it will be for reminder text of morph, hence i never put flavor text on any of my design if it's longer than two lines of text.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
If you think honor of the pure that dies to any gut shot it's not at all op. Not particularly happy with the low balance score.

And I also want to point out that the struggling tribe aspect is more like playing honor of the pure in a two color deck, rather than mono white, making it weaker further.

I think Honor of the Pure is a valid card to be comparing this with, and it's indeed the one I was comparing it to the entire time.  I won't argue that as a 1 toughness creature it's easier to get rid of, especially on game 1 of 3 (pre-sideboard), but I think we should look at how else they differ.

First and most obvious, this also grants trample.  Now, if that were the end of it, "+1/+1 and trample for all non-goblins" at 2 CMC on a 1 toughness creature, I'd very likely not have an issue with that -- even though it almost automatically replaces the Anthems in their respective dual-colored decks.  I know it causes problems if you want to play it in a Goblin tribal deck...but this guy is often more powerful when played in an otherwise completely Goblin-free deck.

Second, by having morph it automatically has more flexibility.  In the late game, it enters the battlefield stronger.  Morph also happens at Split Second timing and doesn't even use the stack, so for , this converts into a potential in-combat Overrun that sticks around.  Choice is power, and this brings it.

Third, global static +1/+1 isn't Red, nor is granting Trample, over something like First Strike or Haste.  Red would be much more likely to globally grant +1/+0 and First Strike.  I actually don't have as huge of a problem as I know others do over mechanical color pie shifting -- and yes, Red does have some precedent at granting each of those abilities.  But I feel it should be pointed out when we're talking about differences between this and Honor.  Honor is White and White gets things like Honor, this is Red and Red typically doesn't.

Fourth, it has no color restriction.  It isn't "other non-goblin red creatures."  That's important, too, because it's infinitely more splashable than Honor.  In fact, it becomes the thing you would want to splash instead of Honor, since you don't even need to have any other Red creatures to see benefit.  And you don't even need to have other Goblins to see benefit...Goblins aren't the only creatures Red brings to the table.

Each of those issues, independently, I could see happening.  But taken together, this card is above and beyond Honor of the Pure in terms of both power and pure playability.  It's more flexible, more capable, and far less restrictive.  When taken together, even with the fact that it's a 1-toughness creature, I think this is Overpowered, and already worth my mana cost suggestion.  Get an extra into both costs and put this at the 3 CMC slot, competing with the Anthems in both cost and color restriction, while also competing for the strong Red 3-drop position (since that's what Red is best known for).  I still think it would be powerful, but at that point, perhaps not OP.  But, I don't think all of that justifies a 0.5 score in the Balance section.  So if not all that, then what does?

Fifth, scalability.  Honor of the Pure scales at O(n)=n.  But this, this scales at O(n)=n^2.  Two Honors is +2/+2 -- two of these is +4/+4.  Three is +9/+9, and I haven't even talked about what happens if one of those was unmorphed.  Just feel free to kick a Rite of Replication into one of these and bask in the +25/+25 and trample on all your creatures (+36 if the original was yours).  What I see when I look at this is Turn 1: Goblin Lackey, Turn 2: 2x Goblin Mob Instigator, Turn 3: 10/5 Ball Lightning -- and that's without any accel.  I consider that broken.  This isn't just answerable, this demands to be given the answer, even if there are other things you'd rather be answering (like the Ball Lightning itself).

To be perfectly honest, I considered a score of 0 -- but I don't think the design is unsalvageable.  I really don't think that stacking all of this, especially the last part, onto a 1/1 body is a justifiable enough counterbalance.

Also, I imagine if there's space left, it will be for reminder text of morph, hence i never put flavor text on any of my design if it's longer than two lines of text.

Magic isn't just about mechanics; there is a very great emotive aspect to the game presented through the flavor and art.  Additionally, I don't consider any actual card complete until it hits the printer, so really I think all prospective designs should include flavor text, because that sets the theme of the card.  So, even if the proposed abilities are too long to include flavor text, if those abilities get reduced or shortened, the text is already there, ready to go.  I hate the fact that so many older cards didn't have flavor text when they were perfectly capable of fitting.

However, I do understand your perspective here.  So, for consistencies sake, while I won't alter my scoring method until Build Around This! #4, I will allow any designer here to substitute Art Descriptions for Flavor Text, if they consider text to be impractical on the card itself.  I won't take off the 0.5 point for emotive/sensory flavor if a designer includes either of these two options.  It doesn't necessarily need to be as thorough as the examples you'll find in the Magic Arcana archives, but it does need to be something.  That kind of flavor is part of the score, so for consistency, it will remain so for at least the rest of this contest.

I'll will make sure to note that in a visible area when I post the next round.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Centaur Patriarch
Creature - Centaur Druid (M)
Hexproof
,,Discard a card: Search you library for a land card, reveal that card, and put that card into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
Other Centaur creatures and Saproling creatures you control have +1/+1.
Whenever you discard a card, put a 2/2 green Centaur creature token onto the battlefield.
3/4