Which Game Designers would you like to see join the 5E/ D&D Next team?

The team that has been created to shepherd 5E/ D&D Next is impressive!  Seasoned Game Designers with a high level of commitment!  If you could add some Game Designers to the team or have certain Designers would on special side projects for the next version of D&D who would you suggest?

In a perfect world I'd add in David "Zeb" Cook, Jeff Grubb, Colin McComb, James Wyatt, Wolfgang Bauer, Steve Wick, and Skip Williams. 
Rich Burlew.
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
Mark Rosewater.
Rob Heinsoo and Andy Collins.
Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, Steve Long*, James Wyatt, Keith Baker**.

*The HERO System guy.
**Not sure if he's actually a game designer or not, but he'd be a great idea man.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Mark Rosewater.

Oh hell no.
... Someone who plays Fighters primarily, and is uninterested in "roll attack, roll damage, done" every round?
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Rich Baker.
Rich Baker.

I was going to say Rich Baker, but I was under the impression he was already there?

Is he not?
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Rich Baker.

I was going to say Rich Baker, but I was under the impression he was already there?

Is he not?

He was the victim of the christmas layoffs.
Then definitely add Rich Baker to my list.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Since I am certain all of the game designers that have made D&D the awesome experience I have grown with and loved over the years shall surely be named, I'm just gonna go ahead and say... Me. Fingers crossed... but still breathin lol...  But, seriously... Andy Collins, Skip Williams, Rich Redman, James Wyatt, David Noonan, Jeff Grubb, Thomas M. Reid, Jesse Decker, Sean K. Reynolds, Eric L. Boyd, Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, Bethesda Game Studios, Jason D. Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, Timothy Cain and Steve Kenson.
Evil Hat guys, all of them (Rob Donoghue, Fred Hicks ecc ecc). They can craft extremely marketable books with good and original writing AND with pretty good rules. What's more to ask?

Well, Rob Donoghue wrote a couple of things for the DMG2... So, who knows! :D 
Since I am certain all of the game designers that have made D&D the awesome experience I have grown with and loved over the years shall surely be named, I'm just gonna go ahead and say... Me. Fingers crossed... but still breathin lol...  But, seriously... Andy Collins, Skip Williams, Rich Redman, James Wyatt, David Noonan, Jeff Grubb, Thomas M. Reid, Jesse Decker, Sean K. Reynolds, Eric L. Boyd, Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, Bethesda Game Studios, Jason D. Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, Timothy Cain and Steve Kenson.

Yeah! Bethesda! Putting a bucket on the bartender's head gives you a +20 on your thievery check to steal items.
My dream design team? It would comprise of Gary Gygax (RIP), Frank Mentzer, Jason Bulmahn, Eric Mona, and David "Zeb" Cook.

As for someone who I wouldn't want near D&D Next? That's simple! Kevin Siembieda!
My dream design team? It would comprise of Gary Gygax (RIP), Frank Mentzer, Jason Bulmahn, Eric Mona, and David "Zeb" Cook.

As for someone who I wouldn't want near D&D Next? That's simple! Kevin Siembieda!

Hey, Rifts is awesome. The rules are just terrible.

I got started in RPG's on Palladium. Heroes Unlimited, to be exact. Don't know how I ever stuck with the hobby. 
Shane Hensley

Hey, Rifts is awesome. The rules are just terrible.

I got started in RPG's on Palladium. Heroes Unlimited, to be exact. Don't know how I ever stuck with the hobby. 

Oh, I wasn't talking about the lore! When it comes to a story or a setting, Kevin can really put one together. In fact, I find myself pulling ideas from the Palladium Fantasy RPG's setting, and integrating them into my campaign. But when it comes to the rules, I find myself scratching my head and wondering if my Grade 11 trigonometry class was easier.
Rich Baker, Rob Heinsoo, James Wyatt, and Andy Collins would be my top choices, and of them, Rich gets the #1 spot.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I'd add Rich Baker, Rob Heinsoo, James Wyatt, Eric Scott De Bie, Scott Fitzgerald Gray and Andy Collins 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I'd take Rich Baker, Andy Collins, Rob Heinsoo, Bill Slaviscek and James Wyatt.

Maybe see if Keith Baker has anymore good setting ideas bouncing around in that mind of his.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
heinsoo, collins, and wyatt. imagine how awesome it would be if they all worked on an edition of dnd
heinsoo, collins, and wyatt. imagine how awesome it would be if they all worked on an edition of dnd

QFE brother
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Jeff Grubb

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

The 1970's Gary Gygax - The original.  He'd add in all the endless flavorful tidbits for the DMG.  Module design yes!  

Monte Cook today - I consider Monte the spiritual inheritor of the Gygax mantle.  Awesome DM from what I've heard.  Great and original ideas.   In fact if I could just transfer the ip to D&D to Monte I would do it.  Monte might need some guidane on some of the design goals but once laid down he'd find creative fun solutions.

Mike Mearls - Mike is where he probably needs to be.  Managing everyone else.  He is a very easy guy to get along with and he can act as moderator for the other strong opinions.  He has good ideas to add too.  He could be in charge of keeping the balance issue on the table throughout design while not letting it smother everything else.

Erik Mona - put him in charge of the campaign world design.  put him in charge of adventure paths.  leave the rules to others.

Wow.  I guess other than Gary who is dead, and Erik they have assembled the dream team.  Given these limitations I'd find me a replacement for Erik by finding someone great to fill the adventure path/campaign world shoes.

We need a 1e representative.  Give me the guy from necromancer games maybe.

For 4e I nominate theMoremegil Smile

*The HERO System guy.
**Not sure if he's actually a game designer or not, but he'd be a great idea man.

Keith Baker worked on two books that I know of with rules both from 3rd party companies during 3rd edition my friend has two them (he actually has a list of all the books he worked on in the Eberron boards) anyways I only skimmed them but the parts he did looked good.

The 1970's Gary Gygax - The original.  He'd add in all the endless flavorful tidbits for the DMG.  Module design yes!  

Monte Cook today - I consider Monte the spiritual inheritor of the Gygax mantle.  Awesome DM from what I've heard.  Great and original ideas.   In fact if I could just transfer the ip to D&D to Monte I would do it.  Monte might need some guidane on some of the design goals but once laid down he'd find creative fun solutions.

Mike Mearls - Mike is where he probably needs to be.  Managing everyone else.  He is a very easy guy to get along with and he can act as moderator for the other strong opinions.  He has good ideas to add too.  He could be in charge of keeping the balance issue on the table throughout design while not letting it smother everything else.

Erik Mona - put him in charge of the campaign world design.  put him in charge of adventure paths.  leave the rules to others.

Don't disagree, except I'd bring in Rich Baker and get Mearls as far away from the game as possible ;) 

*The HERO System guy.

Keith Baker worked on two books that I know of with rules both from 3rd party companies during 3rd edition my friend has two them (he actually has a list of all the books he worked on in the Eberron boards) anyways I only skimmed them but the parts he did looked good.

If you picked up the module he was selling on line a few weeks ago you know that Keith is already messing around with a hybrid 3.5/4e system in his own campaigns.
I nominate myself. My ideas are great and as I have no track record that makes my potential potentially infinite

But in all seriousness, yes, I do want to make the next D&D. I think a lot of us do, and we've got all our brilliant ideas squirreled away in the margins of spiral notebooks and random word docs scattered hither dither.

I also enjoy Mark Rosewater's writing on designing M:tG. I wonder if him or one of his many skilled minions could do D&DN justice.  

Erik Mona can be minister of Propaganda. He is really good at that.

Yep, they made the best edition of D&D so far. Now they just need to polish it and it'll be perfect. No need to revamp everything.
Jared von Hindman doing at least some of the art.
Jeff Dee
Andy Collins.  He did great work in the 3E and 3.5 era.
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
....and Me, of course! Innocent
IMAGE(http://www.forum-signatures.com/wizard/Sigs/2010/final1329876348159.jpg)
Mark Rosewater.

Lots of good choices including a few I don't know...

And I would add Rich Baker to my list and have him bring back Birthright for D&D next with a Game of Thrones feel.

And I would add Rich Baker to my list and have him bring back Birthright for D&D next with a Game of Thrones feel.

I definately like that idea Pyrate Smile

As D@D is moving forward, I think it's imperative that they put together a top notch digital team as well. Computer designer suggestions?
CJ Carella, or whoever it was that slimmed down Unisystem into the Cinematic Unisystem used in the BtVS, Angel, and the Army of Darkness rpgs.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

A lot of good names so far...

I would probably go out of the box, so to speak, and add one of the more notable board game designers to the mix of the RPG designers.  Most likely Vlaada Chvatil.  He has a knack for clean, elegant, very interesting, and fun mechanics.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.