Split party, what to do

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The situation is as follows: evil party, 6 players. 2 players stole a heavily enchanted magic crown from the other 4. They are on the run and got a 1 to 2 hour lead. Both groups are currently mounted and they're in an absolute wasteland with no known civilized towns or cities nearby. That's where the last session ended.

The group of 4 has made it clear that they're intent on killing the other two, but I don't want to resort to straight-up PvP (and neither do the players). I'm looking for suggestions to make this situation interesting for next session. 

I'm thinking about introducing a dungeon of some kind, where the two parties get to interact with each other somehow. I haven't worked out how yet, so ideas are welcome!
I'd probably try and figure out a way for something other than the party to get their paws on that magical crown so that the PCs can focus on an enemy other than each other. If both groups want the crown, then the fiction demands you should threaten the crown.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

The situation is as follows: evil party, 6 players. 2 players stole a heavily enchanted magic crown from the other 4. They are on the run and got a 1 to 2 hour lead. Both groups are currently mounted and they're in an absolute wasteland with no known civilized towns or cities nearby. That's where the last session ended.

The group of 4 has made it clear that they're intent on killing the other two, but I don't want to resort to straight-up PvP (and neither do the players). I'm looking for suggestions to make this situation interesting for next session.

I'm thinking about introducing a dungeon of some kind, where the two parties get to interact with each other somehow. I haven't worked out how yet, so ideas are welcome!

WWTVD? What Would TV Do?

TV (and movies and books, and stories going back millenia) are rife with characters who hate each other but who are forced to work together because otherwise neither of them will be able to achieve their goals. So, what are their goals.

Survival, for one. There are plenty of examples of this. Enemy Mine is my favorite. The PCs are in a wasteland. If it's like a typical D&D locale, it's deadly and not to be travelled lightly. It poses dangers that no one or even two characters are able to handle entirely on their own (I'm talking about 4th Edition here: if those 2 are 3.5 spellcasters, then there's no telling what they could do). So, I think the 2 who ran should run into a situation they can't get out of. When the other four arrive to where the 2 are stuck, well, they can exact their vengeance but they're going to need every sword when the situation suddenly worsens. Maybe someone will escape again with the magic crown, but eventually they should figure out that any nefarious plans they have are going to have to be long plays, because they can't survive without the full party. It's up to you to arrange that.

Other goals would depend more on your PCs desires. If they just want to be pointlessly evil then there's probably not much you can offer. Most literary bad guys are actually the heroes of their own stories and have something they will strive to achieve for what they think is a greater good (even if that good is just themselves). So, if they each want to rule the world, then you have to put the world in danger. Maybe they themselves will survive, but the world will be a cinder. In that case, I'd think they'd want to band together to save the world, even if they use utterly evil methods to achieve that aim.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

before I try to offer a story hook here there are some bits it would be useful to know, first and foremost why did the two steal the crown?  what is their goal and why are they running across a wasteland?  It would also be useful to know edition ( 3.5 or 4th) party makeup and level. 

was the crown stolen simply out of greed or is there some more nefarious plot at work here?

...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
Okay, more info then. 

1. The party is level 12.
2. It consists of 3 pairs of monsters, each a master and a minion. 
3. Each pair has a different endgame, but they work together to achieve something that'll benefit all of them. Currently, their taks is getting the crown to a black dragon who wants to exchange it for an item they need. So no pointless evil, real plots involving world domination at work here. 
4. The dragon has implanted a psychic link in one of the characters who was left behind when the crown was stolen to keep tabs on them. 
5. They were on their way to bring the crown to the dragon, which involved crossing a wasteland to get to his lair. The trip would still take multiple days. 
6. The lich who stole the crown decided that his goal would probably be achieved sooner by gaining this item, that was apparently possessed of great magical powers and harbored a great secret. 
7. It's a 4th Edition game.

EDIT: editted for clarity. 
6. The lich who stole the crown decided that his goal would probably be achieved sooner by gaining an item that was apparently possessed of great magical powers and harbored a great secret.

i.e. The crown?

Is he right?

I think iserith had the right idea. Now that the crown is less well guarded, something should try to take it.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Having the dragon pay a 'visit' to the Lich might be another idea, can't imagine it is too happy about being double crossed and having its treasure stolen.