New world map: all-inclusive

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a finished map, and also cue me in on any I might be missing. The only full-world settings that i know of in 4e is Abeir-Toril for forgotten realms, and the continents of Eberron.

(I know there is also athas, but i have a special place for that.)

Are there any other worlds i am forgetting? Where could I most easily place the Nentir Vale? Somewhere in Faerun? I basically want to create a super-world for the 4th Edition campaign settings as the prime material, with Feywild and Shadowfell reflections, but also Athas and Dream/FarRealm added to the standard cosmology.

And then, could someone with some artistic talent help me create a decent map of the combined worlds?

81259321 wrote:
My new rule for people who are obtuse is to just assume they're purposefully trolling. It makes me less sad for humanity that way.
The Nentir Vale was specifically designed to be a setting "blank", context-free and suitable for inclusion wherever the DM deigns to place it; it wouldn't look out of place in northwestern Breland or on the Sword Coast. The closest thing that exists of a map of the surrounding regions is Conquest of Nerath board game

There is no "master map" of all campaign settings, and frankly that's as it should be. As far as I--and many, if not most, other players are concerned, the different worlds are different places that do not coexist; or if they do, it's in the form of entirely separate material realms linked by the Astral Sea.

Now, with all of that said: there was a very similar thing in the waning days of 3.5. Chances are it's all and dust by now, but this HAS been attempted before--though mind it was with 3.5 cosmology. Mayhap a kind soul with more free time and better search-fu will come along and deliver it unto you.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next

Thanks for that link M4kitsu. Very cool. Smile 
The Nentir Vale was specifically designed to be a setting "blank", context-free and suitable for inclusion wherever the DM deigns to place it; it wouldn't look out of place in northwestern Breland or on the Sword Coast. The closest thing that exists of a map of the surrounding regions is Conquest of Nerath board game

There is no "master map" of all campaign settings, and frankly that's as it should be. As far as I--and many, if not most, other players are concerned, the different worlds are different places that do not coexist; or if they do, it's in the form of entirely separate material realms linked by the Astral Sea.

Now, with all of that said: there was a very similar thing in the waning days of 3.5. Chances are it's all and dust by now, but this HAS been attempted before--though mind it was with 3.5 cosmology. Mayhap a kind soul with more free time and better search-fu will come along and deliver it unto you.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Yes, thank you for the link. That is almost exactly what I was looking for, although the abeir-toril portion seems kind of mis-shaped from what i have. Tesar's kara-tur is shaped much differently than the "scholars view" i have above. Also, I don't recognize what the volcanic island is, but great none-the-less. If nothing else i can use it as a rough guideline and have a friend help me in photoshop to use better images to align them all the same way.

81259321 wrote:
My new rule for people who are obtuse is to just assume they're purposefully trolling. It makes me less sad for humanity that way.
After reading more in that other thread, it is really close but not quite. He included ravenloft and dragonlance, which i don't think there was any 4e support of. And he plopped athas down in there, where in my cosmology its a seperate world. The binary cosmology always bored me, as it too closely supported the whole "good vs evil" view rather than  everyone is "the bad guy" from someone elses persepctive.

Thats why i developed my tri-fold cosmology. I wanted a defines space for the Far realm, and i realized there was a plane of reality it fit with best. Dream is exactly that, the realm of existance where dreams take place, and was the pefrect place for the plane of nightmarish beings beyond comprehension. Hindmans art of the multiverse came close, but was still not quite right.

Then i thought of the mortal world and its reflections of shadowfell and feywild. I placed Shadowfell between the Astral sea and Dream, because it is the hub through which souls pass, and is a nightmarish reflection of the World.Tthe Feywild i placed between the Astral sea and Elemental chaos because of its raw magical life energy and utmost of potential. Then i realized i had a gaping hole in my cosmology. The wedge between Dream and the Elemental chaos. Farthest removed from the Astral sea, it is "cut off" from the divine, and is closest to nightmares and raw destructive primal energy. What would the world look like if the divine hadn't won the dawn war? where destruction far outpaced the re-creation? ATHAS. The ruined desert planed. Athas is the worst possible outcome of the mortal world, a "murphys law" type if you will, if everything went wrong and just surviving day to day was a bitter struggle.

81259321 wrote:
he binary cosmology always bored me, as it too clkosely supported the whole "good vs evil" view rather than  everyone is "the bad guy" from someone elses persepctive.

You can choose to take such a simplistic view of things if you like. My players and characters are far more terrified of the Feywild and the Astral Sea than they are of the Shadowfell and Elemental Chaos. And everybody, from the deepest layers of the Abyss to the highest spires Bright City, is terrified of the Far Realm.
-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
So the Tesar link is a good starting place, but it has a lot of erronious locations included. The Four Nations of Avatar: Last Airbender, Dragonlance, etc etc. I do like it conceptually, it just has a bunch of extra stuff I don't really like being included. I could try do it myself, but it would turn out pretty poor. I was looking to see if anyone would maybe help me out and take it on as a photoshop project, and I could do a favor in return or something.
81259321 wrote:
Athas says no Divine classes, and Arcane characters get arcane defiling.
how should i handle this for a balanced and mixed party who has a divine character
(or two) if im including athas as a viable location they might end up in?

do divine powers completely fizzle? do they just need to form a new bond?
(elemental priest theme, forming a bond with the spirit of athas?) 
81259321 wrote:
something i just thought of to add complexity was duplicating the arcane defiling for other power sources and introducing them in different realms

and then in all 6 outer realms powers either get better or worse, but i could use some input on this.
my thought is that divine can work in athas, but weakened until you leave that plane, and then extrapolate that out to the other planes. so defiling and weakened as boon and bust

athas; arcane boon, divine bust
elemental chaos; elemental/martial boon, shadow bust
feywild; primal boon, psionic bust
astral sea; divine boon, primal bust
shadowfell; shadow boon, arcane/elemental bust
dream/quar/far-realm; psionic boon, martial bust

let me know what you think on each relms boon and bust power sources 
81259321 wrote: