Worried about 5th

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ive been contemplating over how 5th should be. A. Taking the best core from all editions and have advance rules that can be picked by each individual game group.

Or B. Being able to create a character based on your preference thus person A creates very basic character. Person. B creates 3.5 character and person C creates a 4th edition character.
Without seeing how it will play out yet I have reservations on this style. How a group of 5 each have different character in vast ways. Will all character versions have same xp chart when one gets no feats (basic) compared to one that gets feats and etc (3.5). How will a persons 4th edition with powers come into play when playing with those that don't have it. Will push and pull and slide from powers apply? Will a 4th Ed Mage cast different damage compared to another Mage 2nd Ed who can cast a 10d6 fireball
Will the 4th Ed warrior not get to wear platemail compared to another warrior who can wear full plate. Healing surges for one character and another without? Will the cleric 1st edition get upset when the 4th Ed next to him can cast powers while he has run out.
I see people getting upset over other people when one character can get more choices over another. My warrior has double specialization. What does your basic get? My wizard casts 10D6 fireball. Lol. Yours is only 3d6 and your same level HA!
If their idea is to allow an option for each individual to make a edition character of their choice I see to many imbalance and if you change those imbalance your changing the idea of playing each edition as a choice. Example. Hmm let's make tfe Mage cast 6d6 max for fireball for all editions. Well you just changed each edition to prevent those pitfalls yet just created one.
Tread carefully.
And on a side note regarding spells with names like Bigby otiluke etc. they will always be apart of the game never change it. Although in FR it doesn't make much sense since Bigby otiluke Mordenksnein etc were never a part of FR.
I for one dislike that they have been tossed aside with Greyhawk. I'm not asking greyhawk world to be rebuilt I thought the gods were boring but loved how beloved modules fit on the greyhawk map. The circle of eight Along with iuz iggwlv Vecna the lich and the other greyhawk need a place in the D&D world. I'd rather see a new world map since 5th edition will be a re start for D&D. And in this world each old world is now a continent. Greyhawk FR Ebberon Dragonlance mystara.
This would allow cross interaction with all the famouse characters. Mordenkanein Elminster Dalamar
I travel to Waterdeep one day and City of Greyhawk the next.
I was hoping Greyhawk would become the default again.  Have we heard any information either way?
I was hoping Greyhawk would become the default again.  Have we heard any information either way?

No information was released about what and if a World will be used as default setting for D&D Next.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

My guess would be that if there is a default setting it will either be something totally new or something that their lawyers feel very safe about in IP terms.  So basically something new or more Forgotten Realms.

This comment is total speculation, nothing more.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

My guess would be that if there is a default setting it will either be something totally new or something that their lawyers feel very safe about in IP terms.  So basically something new or more Forgotten Realms.

This comment is total speculation, nothing more.

Unlikely, especially since PW has pretty extensive rights to FR at this point.  They've actually been tasked with designing the 5e version of FR entirely, not just adapting what WotC writes for the game.

(content removed)

However I do not think it is possible to improve on the 3.5 design.

ORC_Jubjub: Edited-Baiting is against the Code of Conduct.