02/16/2012 FtL: "Sardonic Sneakings"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Essence of the Wild looks like it would be nuts with Feed the Pack. You'd get numerous 6/6s instead of 2/2s.

For the Curses deck, since we're in white and not required to stick with Modern anyway, I'd ditch Seal of Cleansing in favor of a much more efficient solution - Null Chamber, naming Witchbane Orb.  Now it can't be played to destroy all the Curses you've managed to lay.  Also the obvious issue with any deck built around Curse of Misfortunes, Curse of Thirst, and Bitterheart Witch would obviously be that they all have CMC 5, so I would have stayed away from adding other Curses that also have the same cost (Echoes is particularly cut-worthy since it has the potential to do literally nothing; Death's Hold is forgivable since there's really no substitute for its potency as a control tool, but I would also drop Bloodletting in favor of more Pierced Hearts, even if this skips a nice Misfortunes combo).

In other news "hug the Tree" is now my favorite Magic-related phrase of all time.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Interestingly enough, Genesis Wave goes pretty well in "Wave of Wolves".
Great article! Except for the first deck (boring), I liked all the ideas. The Tree one made me go 'wow', the other two made me laugh at the unusual things they could do.
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Curse deck. Curses are fun, but a deck still needs something resembling a solid defense or manacurve, or at least some rapid acceleration.

Possible additions/replacements:

Kor Spiritdancer - Strictly better then mesa in this deck. (Apart from the seal of cleansing).
Utopia Sprawl/Fertile Ground - Enchantment acceleration.
Semblance Anvil - Though it doesnt fix colors, accelerates at a more relevant pace. 1 mana does not help much when everything is expensive.
As Lester pointed out, the three critical cards to the Wave of Wolves combo are Standard legal. So which cards would be best to make a Standard version of this deck that is still effective? Genesis Wave (as noted above) would work well, and I assume also Rampant Growth and the Birds.
Sign In to post comments