Mordern spirit deck.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
please tell me what you think or what you feel should be changed. i plan on maximising my spirit tokens and spirit creratures while resprisented a theme of a spiritual mastery over the living and dead. i want to stick with white and black.

My deck is as follows

Geist honoured monk X 1
Doomed traveller X 2
Gallows warden X 2
Souls of the faultless X 2
Wall of reverence X 2
Twilight drover X 1
Luminous angel X 1
Soul warden X 2

Intangible virtue X 1
Leymine of the meek X 1
Midnight haunting X 3
Lingering souls X 3
Spectral procession X 2
Consume spirit X 2
Ghostway X 1
Hour of reckoning X 1
Unburial Rites X 2
Pull from eternity X 4
Long forgotten Gohei X 1
Orzhov signet X 2
Mortify X 2

8 plains
5 swamp
4 orzhov basilica
2 godless shine/isolated chapel
4 fetid heath

any help regarding changes etc please dont hesitate to respond. i will be grateful.

Wow.  This is even worse than standard deck help.

It's not so bad. Then again, I'm having a discussion about my Affinity deck with myself, so...

As for the deck, you'll probably want to run something similar to current Tokens deck in standard.

-2x Gallows Warden
-1x Luminous Angel
-2x Souls of the Faultless
-1x Twilight Drover
-2x Wall of Reverence

-2x Consume Spirit
-1x Ghostway
-1x Hour of Reckoning
-1x Long-Forgotten Gohei
-2x Mortify
-2x Orzhov Signet

Most of these are either too slow, counterproductive, or simply unnecessary. Now, the skeleton below is just a basic framework to give you an idea of what you might aim for. You'll basically want a bunch of token production effects, preferably of the 1/1 flying nature and various support elements built around that, such as pump/equipment, and some removal.

Once again, this is just to give you a basic idea of what a deck based around tokens and spirits might resemble in modern. I left the numbers in the sideboard open because that's really fairly dependent upon the field, which tends to change from tournament to tournament. Just remember that you'll always be dealing with Affinity, Zoo, Storm, Splinter Twin, Birthing Pod, and some random thing you weren't expecting.

Once again, this is just to give you a basic idea of what a deck based around tokens and spirits might resemble in modern. I left the numbers in the sideboard open because that's really fairly dependent upon the field, which tends to change from tournament to tournament. Just remember that you'll always be dealing with Affinity, Zoo, Storm, Splinter Twin, Birthing Pod, and some random thing you weren't expecting.

No Elspeth or Sorin?  I've been using Zealous Persecution as well.  :3

No Elspeth or Sorin?  I've been using Zealous Persecution as well.  :3

Oh, yeah, walkers. I've been seeing a lot of discussion on the viability of Zealous Persecution and there are some fairly mixed opinions, but I actually kind of like it. Strange that I forgot it. Hard to choose what to take out though. The Doomed Traveler can probably go, and maybe a few Dismembers, or all of them.
Don't get rid of gallows warden, it's such a powerful card.  What are you going to do if your opponent just plays marrow shards to kill all your tokens?  You need that extra toughness.
I hate dogs.
Don't get rid of gallows warden, it's such a powerful card.  What are you going to do if your opponent just plays marrow shards to kill all your tokens?  You need that extra toughness.

That's what the four Intangible Virtue and three-to-four Honor of the Pure or Leyline of the Meek are for.

Gallows Warden is a bit too defensive and also way too expensive. For you get a 3/3 flyer that gives your spirits +0/+1. That doesn't speed up your game any, because your 1/1 flyer is now a 1/2 flyer, and will still take forever to kill an opponent. By comparison, Intangible Virtue costs [mc]3[mc] less and gives them +1/+1 and vigilance. Honor of the Pure and Leyline of the Meek are similar cases.

Also, I haven't seen many (any) decks running Marrow Shards. Plus, if they were, they'd probably have already used it by the time you cast Gallows Warden. I'd be more worried about Pyroclasm or Whipflare both of which can be dealt with using the previously mentioned enchantments.
thanks for your help echo robin, would you mind if i was to try your deck skeleton idea. ive been playing around with the idea of spirit tokens for a while just havent been able to get my head around it properly. thank you very much again
whatv if i was to add  sanguine bond, disentomb and, zealous persecution. and perhaps some white or black counterspells such as dash hopes or mana tithe?
whatv if i was to add  sanguine bond, disentomb and, zealous persecution. and perhaps some white or black counterspells such as dash hopes or mana tithe?

The main problem with additional cards is you really don't have room for anything. It's a fairly tight list as is and making room for anything would be a feat in and of itself.

Sanguine Bond is okay in a deck completely dedicated to using it in a life gain combo, but it wouldn't serve much purpose in your deck. Plus it's rather expensive for what it does. You could keep one or two in your sideboard as a weapon against Soul Sisters and Martyr decks, though you don't see those enough for it to really seem that viable an option. Still, it's an option.

Disentomb really wouldn't be of much use to you because you're not running enough creature cards for it to return.

Zealous Persecution is actually a fine addition. Drop the four Doomed Traveler, which really aren't necessary, and you could easily include it.

Counter spells are an interesting option. Mana Tithe could have some potential, but I'm really not sure how much. Dash Hopes is also far from bad, but the main issue is that there are times when you really want to counter something and if they can simply drop five life to guarantee their spell goes through, then it sort of ends up being a waste.

Among the two, Mana Tithe is definitely the better way to go if you choose to run a counter spell, but, once again, it comes down to having room to add it. I think you'd be much better off including the Zealous Persecution and some combination of two to four walkers. Elspeth Tirel and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad would be the prime candidates. Once again, dropping the Doomed Traveler and, should you choose to include walkers, some combination of Dismember and maybe one token production spell or Soul Warden.

Oh, and in regards to your previous question, I don't mind in the least if you use this deck skeleton.

ill see what i can do putting together the second deck skeleton and see how it plays.

i was wondering what your veiw is on seize the soul. possible removal that also give me a spirit as well.

im not sure if it might be better for me to do white and blue token deck with a similar kind of feel but i shall have a look and see what i can do, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Dash Hopes is also far from bad, but the main issue is that there are times when you really want to counter something and if they can simply drop five life to guarantee their spell goes through, then it sort of ends up being a waste.

The noted portion of your statement is entirely misleading for exactly the reasons you listed.  Dash Hopes is a terrible card and this is coming from someone who loves it.  Do not use Dash Hopes in this deck.
I was actually brainstorming an idea for a spirit tokens deck that uses devouring greed.  Spam as many token producers as you can, play some pump spells, wail until you've got them down to like 8-10 life, then finish the job with devouring greed.  If you were going to do this, I would recommend having gitaxian probe so peek and see if they have a counter spell or other answer before playing the greed.
I was actually brainstorming an idea for a spirit tokens deck that uses devouring greed.  Spam as many token producers as you can, play some pump spells, wail until you've got them down to like 8-10 life, then finish the job with devouring greed.  If you were going to do this, I would recommend having gitaxian probe so peek and see if they have a counter spell or other answer before playing the greed.

Just the motivation I needed to update my casual deck that does just that!

Pretty simple.
hi there

ive put together a further idea from deck skeleton 2.0. im not sure how to auto deck so i appologise for that. here it is

creatures

3-4 soul warden

other spells

0-2 beckon apparition
0-2 dismember
1-4 elspeth tirel/elspeth knight errant/sorin lord of innistrad
3 leyline of the meek
4 intangible virtue
4 lingering souls
4 midnight haunting/spectral procession
1 oblivion ring
3-4 path to exile
3-4 zealous persecution
1 personal sanctuary

lands
4 godless shrine
4 isolated chapel
4 evolving winds
5 plains
4 swamp
2 vault of the archangel.

not sure on the sideboard yet but any tips welcome. ill probably use midinght hauntings as its an instant rather than a sorcery. im hoping to finalise the deck by the end of march.                    

Sign In to post comments