Sacrifice an Undying?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I use the 'sacrifice a creature' spell on my Grim Backwoods and choose to sacrifice a creature with undying, say a Strangleroot Geist would the Ghiest's undying become activated and it would immeidiatley return with a +1/+1 counter?
Sure, why wouldn't it? When you sacrifice a creature, it dies. It doesn't return "immediately," but it will be back as soon as the undying ability resolves.

A nitpick: Undying is a triggered ability. It doesn't activate - that's a different kind of ability - it triggers.

Another nitpick: Grim Backwoods doesn't have a spell. It has an activated ability. Spells exist only on the stack. Any text on a permanent is an ability.

When you ask a rules question, please autocard. Type [c]Doom Blade[/c] to get Doom Blade.
What Color Am I?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

If I use the 'sacrifice a creature' spell on my Grim Backwoods and choose to sacrifice a creature with undying, say a Strangleroot Geist would the Ghiest's undying become activated and it would immeidiatley return with a +1/+1 counter?

There's no spell here, undying is not activated, and this does not happens "immediately", but yes, it will return.

When you sacrifice Strangleroot Geist to activate the Grim Backwoods' ability, the Geist's undying ability triggers, so the Geist returns to the battlefield with a +1/+1 when the trigger resolves.

[<o>]
Also to point out - since sacrificing the creature is part of the cost, the Undying will trigger immediately, so the creature is back before you even draw the card.